Reason+ = subscription model (20€ month)

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRian
1019 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:55 pm

Atlatnesiti wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 am
Flagship DAW called Protools is subscription based now 😉
How is that any different to Reason..?
Professional studios and producers use Pro Tools and can write it off as a legitimate business expense.

KVRer
15 posts since 30 Dec, 2020

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:53 am

What soundpack is that? did they made soundpack by themself?

KVRist
49 posts since 3 Jul, 2010 from the A

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 am

So using the trial now to decide if I want to pay 99... looks like I will, possibly. One issue, the rack plugin introduces far more latency in Live 11 than other plugs. The sounds in it, particularly for hiphop/trap are excellent (the sound pack sounds). I have to give some props to propellerheads, I was not expecting this.

KVRist
211 posts since 22 Jul, 2011 from Stockholm, Sweden

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:58 am

dstep404 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 am
So using the trial now to decide if I want to pay 99... looks like I will, possibly. One issue, the rack plugin introduces far more latency in Live 11 than other plugs. The sounds in it, particularly for hiphop/trap are excellent (the sound pack sounds). I have to give some props to propellerheads, I was not expecting this.
Happy to hear you like it! :)

When are you experience latency and how? Reason either processes audio at the buffer size of your host (say your host is set to 512 samples, we respect that) or if that option is turned off in the settings, at a fixed 64 samples. The vast majority of the devices introduce no further latency, some exceptions being the Maximizer with lookahead and Neptune.

Would love to help figure this one out! :party:

KVRist
49 posts since 3 Jul, 2010 from the A

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:08 pm

Anosou wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:58 am
dstep404 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 am
So using the trial now to decide if I want to pay 99... looks like I will, possibly. One issue, the rack plugin introduces far more latency in Live 11 than other plugs. The sounds in it, particularly for hiphop/trap are excellent (the sound pack sounds). I have to give some props to propellerheads, I was not expecting this.
Happy to hear you like it! :)

When are you experience latency and how? Reason either processes audio at the buffer size of your host (say your host is set to 512 samples, we respect that) or if that option is turned off in the settings, at a fixed 64 samples. The vast majority of the devices introduce no further latency, some exceptions being the Maximizer with lookahead and Neptune.

Would love to help figure this one out! :party:
I don’t know what it was, I’m thinking it may have been a Live 11 thing, though it wasn’t impacting kontakt. Either way, it’s fine now. Algorithm sounds great, and the sound packs are far more useful than I imagined. I was afraid I would just be getting loops ala splice, and I wasn’t interested in that, but the patches are extremely useful and relevant to the sounds I go for. I’m not sure I’m good with paying $200 a year in subsequent years, though, as I still own a reason license. I’m not sure I’m ok with that, but I’ll figure that out next year. I’m paying the 99 this year for sure.

One question, will the resolution be increased as I heard mentioned elsewhere as “in the plans”? Plugins are quite small on a 5k 27 inch iMac.

KVRist
211 posts since 22 Jul, 2011 from Stockholm, Sweden

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:01 pm

dstep404 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:08 pm
Anosou wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:58 am
dstep404 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 am
So using the trial now to decide if I want to pay 99... looks like I will, possibly. One issue, the rack plugin introduces far more latency in Live 11 than other plugs. The sounds in it, particularly for hiphop/trap are excellent (the sound pack sounds). I have to give some props to propellerheads, I was not expecting this.
Happy to hear you like it! :)

When are you experience latency and how? Reason either processes audio at the buffer size of your host (say your host is set to 512 samples, we respect that) or if that option is turned off in the settings, at a fixed 64 samples. The vast majority of the devices introduce no further latency, some exceptions being the Maximizer with lookahead and Neptune.

Would love to help figure this one out! :party:
I don’t know what it was, I’m thinking it may have been a Live 11 thing, though it wasn’t impacting kontakt. Either way, it’s fine now. Algorithm sounds great, and the sound packs are far more useful than I imagined. I was afraid I would just be getting loops ala splice, and I wasn’t interested in that, but the patches are extremely useful and relevant to the sounds I go for. I’m not sure I’m good with paying $200 a year in subsequent years, though, as I still own a reason license. I’m not sure I’m ok with that, but I’ll figure that out next year. I’m paying the 99 this year for sure.

One question, will the resolution be increased as I heard mentioned elsewhere as “in the plans”? Plugins are quite small on a 5k 27 inch iMac.
Ah, great! If you experience unexplained latency again and think it could be due to Reason, do get in touch with support. :)

And yes, a Reason version with hi-res graphics optimized for larger resolutions is currently being worked on and is slated for the next major upgrade. It's been a journey, but it's turning out great!

User avatar
KVRAF
4010 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:00 am

You guys should sell reason rack vst separately with some instruments included .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
KVRAF
7959 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:33 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:00 am
You guys should sell reason rack vst separately with some instruments included .
Or give away an empty one for free (or at least with a purchase in Reason Add-on shop).

They'd have lots more buyers for their - and 3rd party devs' - synths & FX, because otherwise no-one's gonna buy a full Reason license or pay $19.99/month to use e.g. Algoritm synth they've spent $109 on already*... :dog:

* I'm thinking of people who want to "own" stuff, not subscribe to just borrow it
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
211 posts since 22 Jul, 2011 from Stockholm, Sweden

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:00 am
You guys should sell reason rack vst separately with some instruments included .
Thanks for the feedback!

To be frank, it'd probably just be the same price as buying Reason today though. Reason is the rack and you can use it as a plug-in or standalone with its own sequencer and mixer etc., similar to how you can use Reaktor standalone or as a plug-in or use FL Studio standalone or as a plug-in but you only buy one product. At least that's how we think about the product. :)

Regarding some kind of "empty rack", appreciate the feedback on that, too.

KVRist
315 posts since 4 May, 2019

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:21 pm

antic604 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:33 am
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:00 am
You guys should sell reason rack vst separately with some instruments included .
Or give away an empty one for free (or at least with a purchase in Reason Add-on shop).

They'd have lots more buyers for their - and 3rd party devs' - synths & FX, because otherwise no-one's gonna buy a full Reason license or pay $19.99/month to use e.g. Algoritm synth they've spent $109 on already*... :dog:

* I'm thinking of people who want to "own" stuff, not subscribe to just borrow it
Sounds like a totally brilliant idea. Allow somoene to buy Complex for $$ and then get the rack and some basic stuff thrown in for free.. an invitation to buy more. You could sell a foundation package (with the classic Reason devices) for $50 or something as well. The Rack is a killer, killer product. I enjoy it very much... now if I could only host VST plugins IN the VST Rack.... that would be very, very nice.

User avatar
KVRAF
7959 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:18 pm

Anosou wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:00 am
You guys should sell reason rack vst separately with some instruments included .
Thanks for the feedback!

To be frank, it'd probably just be the same price as buying Reason today though. Reason is the rack and you can use it as a plug-in or standalone with its own sequencer and mixer etc., similar to how you can use Reaktor standalone or as a plug-in or use FL Studio standalone or as a plug-in but you only buy one product. At least that's how we think about the product. :)
Oh gosh. So if Reason is the Rack, then the value of Sequencer & Mixer is basically zero, hence any investment in them is a waste of money :scared:

Thanks, I hear you loud & clear.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
1579 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:53 am

Yeah. Given how many outstanding user requests there are for improvements to sequencing and editing, I also found this wording discouraging.

KVRian
515 posts since 19 Oct, 2020

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:43 am

But it is actually a good sign that they finally realize that they don't háve the capabilities to develop a DAW. Imagine how Reason could look like if they hadn't wasted manyears of development on the DAW!

User avatar
KVRAF
7959 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:40 am

ReleaseCandidate wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:43 am
But it is actually a good sign that they finally realize that they don't háve the capabilities to develop a DAW. Imagine how Reason could look like if they hadn't wasted manyears of development on the DAW!
There would be no Reason. Just the Rack, which I don't care that much for.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian
515 posts since 19 Oct, 2020

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:45 am

The question is how many users use and would pay for the DAW and how many would prefer having a faster developed rack.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”