Technobabble (80s Cyberpunk)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was recently asked to compose some music for an 80s-Theme Cyberpunk VR game. This is what I came up with for when you're just walking around the city.

Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/qUiJv1zGZGs

didnt really hear much "techno" this sounded more like popbabble to me.
quite chill and enjoyable regardless. could be a little longer.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Nice... I'm not sure I'm hearing the cyberpunk tho'. Doesn't really take me there. I'd want to hear more tech or retro synth or something.

Good tune tho'. :)

It works as a little bit of atmospheric music, but I agree with the previous comments...not at all CyberPunk for me...

Dystopian, futuristic - Judge Dredd, Neuromancer, Akira, Blade Runner, Johnny Mnemonic...doesn't really capture any of these for me.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

I think for a game it might work well.
If you have a VR game that is focused on the visuals, you need music that doesnt grab your senses too much.
I think it might work.
If you have an action scene though it might not match the visual.

Bansaw wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 am I think for a game it might work well.
If you have a VR game that is focused on the visuals, you need music that doesnt grab your senses too much.
I think it might work.
If you have an action scene though it might not match the visual.
It just plays when you're walking around the city, which is on a lazer grid and looks kinda like Outrun meets Tron.

The comments here seem a bit nicpicky - I thought this was perfect for the purpose. Were they happy with it?

Would I also be right in thinking you'd listened to Deus Ex as a bit of inspiration for this?

Thumbs up.

MrSoft wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:47 pm The comments here seem a bit nicpicky - I thought this was perfect for the purpose. Were they happy with it?
Thanks man. Indeed they were!
MrSoft wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:47 pmWould I also be right in thinking you'd listened to Deus Ex as a bit of inspiration for this?
Yes! I was first shown some just straight up 80s "synthwave" sort of music, but I had another, darker track they liked and so decided to go with something inbetween Deus Ex and 80s guitar and synth scores from action movies and that's how this happened.

Return to “Music Cafe”