How to fake VST ID for comptibility?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello forum members!
I think my scenario is not that uncommon but i had no luck finding info about it:

I have a dedicated music computer running WinXP and Ableton Live 7 and 9 as Hosts.
Been using it for many years and loads of Projects accumulated.

Recently i bought a new computer for music which cannot run WinXP and is using Win10.

Now here comes the Problem:
Guitar Rig 3 vst (for example) is not compatible with Win10.
Unfortunately this vst plugin is used in over 300 Projects.

So my question is:
Can i somehow trick Live to handle lets say Guitar Rig 4 as if it was Guitar Rig 3 so
Rig 4 is being opened within the Project instead of Rig 3 ?

Renaming the .dll does not work.

I thank you for your attention and am looking forward to your suggestions!

no, the parameters plugin are not the same,
can you use Guitar Rig 4 with WinXP ?
if yes, you will have to duplicate your track with Guitar Rig 3 to a new version with Guitar Rig 4
the best and faster is to export the track with Guitar Rig 3 to wav and reload it into Win10

thx carrieres for your answer!

Yes i can use rig 4 in XP.
But i dont understand your "duplicarting track" method.
If i duplicate a track it is an exact duplicate.
Then i insert a rig 4 instance in the new track.
How do i apply the settings of rig 3 to rig 4?
Can i drag the rig 3 settings to rig 4?
What am i missing?

Besides that: The bouncing to .wav or freezing is no option for me since i want to be able to make further adjustments.

So thanks again for your suggestions!
I am all ear for more input!

I think the best thing you can do in this case is to keep your old PC for compatibility with old projects and start using your new PC for new projects.

Open Guitar Rig 3, save your settings as preset, load Guitar Rig 4, open the preset. They should be compatible.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

You can't really duplicate but like Burillo said :
Burillo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:42 pm Open Guitar Rig 3, save your settings as preset, load Guitar Rig 4, open the preset. They should be compatible.
The best thing is to finish your song in your WinXP or at least just the track with Rig3 and freeze the track

Burillo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:42 pm Open Guitar Rig 3, save your settings as preset, load Guitar Rig 4, open the preset. They should be compatible.
This. Tedious, but the best way, all in all. Same with Kontakt and Battery and so on. it really is a pita with Native Instruments stuff, I can’t remember any other vendor that changed their versions so often and gives a f... about session compatibility.
It’s probably advisable to save every preset from every NI plugin used in a project after finishing it just to be on the safe side.

fese wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:57 pm I can’t remember any other vendor that changed their versions so often and gives a f... about session compatibility.
Izotope are even worse in this regard, as they update their plugin line more frequently.

Renaming the .dll does not work.
Does not work because the both plugins have different unique ids. You could try to change the unique id in the dll via hex editor, but most probably this will crash your host. :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”