Drum Machines!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i remember when microtonic was a free beta. :)

so, tonic vs drumcomputer GO!

also, other suggestions welcome, i'm in the market for one of these auto drum machines.

Microtonic is amazing and rock solid in all the years I've used it. I use it in pretty much everything I make for standard x0x style sounds and blippy little micro sequences for background parts. Drumcomputer is pretty cool but a bit heavy on resources for some reason. I generally use drumcomputer to make loops that I'll resample and jack up with further processing. I've got a nice folder of exported hi hats and kicks from DC for using in my samplers.

I find the sequencers pretty lackluster in both except for the scripted stuff in microtonic (which can add some really cool fuctionality) so if the actual sequencing is a big part of it for you they are capable of many of the same things.
I would add drumatic to your shortlist as well as it has a very versatile engine for drum sounds. Honestly I would go for all of them. I did. I always do.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

For drum synthesis I really like Stix by Xils.
It has a really interesting sequencer and a great percussion synth engine. My only problem is that it’s always been a bit buggy for me so I don’t go quite as deep with it as I otherwise would (because in theory you could go very deep with it in terms of programming both sounds and rhythms).

As for sample based stuff, I really think things like XO and Atlas are the future. (That said I’m still over here using Battery like the dreams of 2010 are still alive).
Last edited by Local Man on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Best drum machine it's
Rob Papen Punch2 :)

Many synthesis types for drums and powerful 8 sequencers.

Alex_Longard wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:56 am Best drum machine it's
Rob Papen Punch2 :)

Many synthesis types for drums and powerful 8 sequencers.
i second that, although owning it for a short time (together with Blade 2).

MDrummer has some great things, or many, or is a beast.

Arturia Spark 2, used it so much, still great (in combination with the old controller, feels like a real (...) drumcomputer)

when i make stuff in Maschine, maschine performs quite well as a drum machine..

Battery 4 i also have, don't use it much.

(Kong, for reason, is also pretty nice.. but you to have.. reason..)

Psychic Modulation PulseCode. And... don't make the mistake to judge it solely by the (lacklustre) GUI. :wink:

^ Also Psychic Modulation Construct. I love that one. Also TS-808 by Tactile Sounds is a mighty fine drum synth
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

+1 Arturia Spark 2, but needs an update.

UVI have some powerful drum machines (Drum Designer, Beat Box Anthology)
NI Maschne is also very good and has a good drum synth internal (as does MPC software now)

XO is the one that probably changed the way I work more than any of the others, turns out I had every drum sound in the world already, I just couldn't find them! :clown:

SD 3 is probably the one I used most often, best for 'real drums' and also has great synths kits.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

e@rs wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:49 am Psychic Modulation PulseCode. And... don't make the mistake to judge it solely by the (lacklustre) GUI. :wink:
it’s not really lackluster. It’s pretty elaborate and functional. More like Serum with a retro skin I’ve seen recently in the “Impressive skins” topic
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:28 am ^ Also Psychic Modulation Construct. I love that one. Also TS-808 by Tactile Sounds is a mighty fine drum synth
Ugh, apparenly it’s discontinued, I didn’t get to check it. Is it replaced by PulseCode, or just gone?
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

I fell asleep and woke up to only one page, but some good suggestions to check out. I’m a keyboard player, not a drummer, I’m going to need drums aren’t I? Let’s look into some of this.

Dencheg wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 am
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:28 am ^ Also Psychic Modulation Construct. I love that one. Also TS-808 by Tactile Sounds is a mighty fine drum synth
Ugh, apparenly it’s discontinued, I didn’t get to check it. Is it replaced by PulseCode, or just gone?
Oh its discontinued? I didnt notice that sorry. Got it for free years ago. I dont think PulseCode is a replacement since PulseCode is sample based and Construct is using synthesis but i could be wrong. If you have bought anything from Psychic Modulation maybe send him an e-mail and ask if you still can get Construct anyway?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I have geist and geist 2, so was looking for more synthetic stuff, with great sequencing. keep throwing them out tho, ill stumble onto something . the new ujam looks interesting. not sure if it is sampled tho.

Return to “Instruments”