Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

SLiC wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:27 pm I also suspect subscription on the way...hopefully (for Cubase users) Like Studio Ones system (buy or subscribe)
I'd say it's pretty much subscription already - at least I'm pretty sure you don't save any money if you miss an update and then upgrade later.

It's good to have a choice.
Reason 11 can be authorised to the key or PC ,Mac and deauthorised in a matter of 1minute.And it's working perfectly. I guess the elicenser will still be available for the transition time to Key Free option.
I believe there won't be a grace period upgrade anymore over 30..60..days..
I also think there will be a good nr of options to suit everyone for sure.
Hopefully everyone will benefit form what is to come. Ta Da. :phones:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

No, no subscription:
Dear customers, we conducted a survey a couple of months ago in which we asked if subscription might be an alternative model. The result was a clear “no.” Of course we will respect this. There are definitely no plans or whatsoever for a subscription model.
If you like to update to the latest version or if you stick with the version you originally purchased is entirely up to you.

Frank Simmerlein
Marketing Director
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/steinber ... n/52914/34

Ah, shit, that was 5 years ago.
But I thought I hear them say that not that long ago too.

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:41 pm Ah, shit, that was 5 years ago.
6 years, we're already March 2021 and that post is from January 2015 :P

Reefius wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:16 pm
ReleaseCandidate wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:41 pm Ah, shit, that was 5 years ago.
6 years, we're already March 2021 and that post is from January 2015 :P
Yeah, still not used to writing 2021 - usually takes 'til summer ;)

And VSL, the other ones to use Elicenser, change to Ilok (dongle and cloud, not computer based).
Can't find the message right now ..

This is basically the, say hello to our subscription model! Steinberg has Groove Agent, Halion and the other plugins to put in the same package. Knowing how greedy Steinberg is, it's gonna be 25-30 per month. Just wait and see :P

The VSL statement:
eLicenser has served us well during many years, but we’re also well aware of some limitations of the platform that we want to overcome for our customers and for us.

Thus we’re currently preparing the transition of all of our products to PACE’s iLok license management solution.
Well, I'd say the death of the platform is quite a limitation for its use :D

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t ... post302591

My biggest issue with e-licenser is the one activation per license limation, forcing me to buy two of everything. ilok changed that for themselves years ago... e-licenser was becoming like a dinosaur in this regards to me.

#NotADongleHaterPerSe.

rsp
sound sculptist

Don't steinberg own and run the eLicenser platform ? Therefore what happens to that ? Mad i was talking about this just yesterday how I hoped the dongle would disappear. Why didn't I wish for a lottery win even though I don't do the lottery ?

So will companies like Vengeance be still using the eLicenser for themselves only ? Or will all back versions of Cubase/Nuendo etc still use the dongle? Oh so many questions.

But as regards subscription, I dunno how that would work for a DAW, you pay per month to use it ? That seems ridiculous. Maybe a pay to own thing for new users, but upgrades for existing users should remain a fixed payment. God knows, but at least the dongle is going, I guess thats a good thing .
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

For Cubase I'm a happy dongle user. Forcing a subscription model means forcing me to an alternative DAW.
I absolutely HATE subscription models for something which can and should work stand alone perfectly.

Bad stuff for users will always be presented as improvements.

'Hereby we present what you all wanted: safety! So we decided to build a cage around you to protect you.
Now you must be happy. Okay, you will loose a lot of freedom because we control you. But safety is much more import to you, isn't it?'
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

delete double post
Last edited by Timfonie on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deleted double post

Timfonie wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:02 pm For Cubase I'm a happy dongle user. Forcing a subscription model means forcing me to an alternative DAW.
I absolutely HATE subscription models for something which can and should work stand alone perfectly.

'Hereby we present what you all wanted: safety! So we decided to build a cage around you to protect you.
Now you must be happy. Okay, you will loose a lot of freedom because we control you. But safety is much more import to you, isn't it?'
All depends how it all works. They havent confirmed subscription yet, so lets not jump the gun, but it will stop me using it too tbh.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Timfonie wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:02 pm For Cubase I'm a happy dongle user. Forcing a subscription model means forcing me to an alternative DAW.

1. It's all speculation by now. Noone really knows what Steinberg really plans.
2. Other companies do a parallel subscription/perpetual license system, so, it's likely that Steinberg would do the same IF they really go subscription.
3. I don't get all the negativity, and doom predicting the whole time. Why not speculate about something positive, for a change? I'm not sure if there is something positive in this world for you though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”