Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

Yay more subscription/cloud things. Being online all the time, yay.

I predict major screw-ups when the change comes. (ilokalypse, anyone?)
On the plus side, we can hope that the confusion twixt Activation and Registration will be a thing of the past.

Magnut wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:18 pm Yay more subscription/cloud things. Being online all the time, yay.
Translation: "I don't know shit, but I like to complain anyway.". Good stuff here once again.

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 pm
Magnut wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:18 pm Yay more subscription/cloud things. Being online all the time, yay.
Translation: "I don't know shit, but I like to complain anyway.". Good stuff here once again.
Cry somewhere else sweetie 8) When you come up with some realistic alternatives I might be listening to you. Or let me guess: a reg key like FL? A keyfile? Brain implants or fingerprint checks? :lol:
Last edited by Magnut on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I already wrote what I speculate. But, that's just that. Speculation. I rather wait and see what is coming, because, I don't know anyway. And, especially, I don't cry my heart out over things I speculate.

I'd have no problems with occasional online checks, BTW. That's much better than some cock protruding from my USB port.

Probably codemeter.

Oh jeez please not something similar to the Avenger codemeter hell of asking for your right to use the software every couple weeks. And especially not something that could get stripped away from me only because they don't like my nose (looking e.g. at you refx and nexus3). So there's no real alternative to cloud, especially not for a product of "big value" like cubase/nuendo.

:lol:

Oh, the cold fear and insecurity... :)

Seriously. Wait. Tea. See. That's what I'll do.

Personally, the eLicenser dongle doesn't bother me. It sits there on my USB hub tucked away behind my computer (along with my iLok and Waves flash drive) and the only time I ever remember that it's there is when I have to register a new product to it (which hasn't happened in years). But, I can see where it would be a hassle, especially for people who have multiple computers for music production.

What's interesting to me is that I can't recall the last time I saw a thread mentioning the use of pirated software on KVR or its effect on plugin sales. These types of threads were pretty common 5-10 years ago. Obviously, I'm sure it's still going on, but has it become less of a concern for developers for some reason? Could that be related to Steinberg's decision to drop the dongle?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

DPhil wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:33 pm Oh jeez please not something similar to the Avenger codemeter hell of asking for your right to use the software every couple weeks. And especially not something that could get stripped away from me only because they don't like my nose (looking e.g. at you refx and nexus3). So there's no real alternative to cloud, especially not for a product of "big value" like cubase/nuendo.
In defense of refx, although their support has not been the friendliest (by a long stretch) they always sorted out my licensing problems in a reasonable timeframe. (Of course, you could argue that there should not be problems with the licensing system in the first place...)
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:36 pm :lol:

That's why you made 10 posts alone in this thread :wink: Totally. Calm...

No matter what they do, I don't care for Cubase. I care what happens to the elicenser system itself and other products that use it. Seeing some moving to iLok is something acceptable.

cryophonik wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:39 pm Personally, the eLicenser dongle doesn't bother me. It sits there on my USB hub tucked away behind my computer (along with my iLok and Waves flash drive) and the only time I ever remember that it's there is when I have to register a new product to it (which hasn't happened in years).
I'm a bit scared that they can stop functioning when I have them plugged in for months (after all, everything wears), so, I only plug them (eLicenser and iLok) in when I make music.

Kumal wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:41 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:36 pm :lol:

That's why you made 10 posts alone in this thread :wink: Totally. Calm...
Yes, I am. Just having a laugh about all the fear and panic. :P

Not that it surprises me, after all these years of forum browsing.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They'll have to rewrite large parts of Cubase to remove all remnants of the old copy protection. From what I heard there are copy protection checks hardcoded right into the core of Cubase. These take up extra CPU cycles on your system and contribute nothing to audio.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 pm They'll have to rewrite large parts of Cubase...
Don't forget Wavelab :wink:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”