Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRist
134 posts since 9 Apr, 2017

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:46 am

v1o wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:43 am
From what I heard there are copy protection checks hardcoded right into the core of Cubase. These take up extra CPU cycles on your system and contribute nothing to audio.
That is the case for almost any at least somewhat secure cp and would (or should!) be the case for any new cp system either.

KVRAF
27871 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:47 am

v1o wrote:
From what I heard there are copy protection checks hardcoded right into the core of Cubase.
I wonder where you can "hear" stuff like that. :)
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

v1o
KVRAF
2732 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:49 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:47 am
v1o wrote:
From what I heard there are copy protection checks hardcoded right into the core of Cubase.
I wonder where you can "hear" stuff like that. :)
From sources that cannot be mentioned here without a ban.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:51 am

Well, Steinberg said that it will take a while, and that they are actively working on it already, so, I don't expect anything before the end of the year. If even.

They also said it won't take 2 years though.

KVRian
1302 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Earth

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 am

I'm quite sure at least someone at Steinberg has unprotected copies of all their software for internal use so there will be no need for 'rewriting'.

KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:02 am

I assume the bigger work is developing the new protection software and providing the online system anyway. After all, that's what companies like PACE provide. The software implementation seems to be rather easy peasy
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
6454 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:03 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:51 am
They also said it won't take 2 years though.
Developers don't use a standard calendar, though. They have a special logarithmic time-based calendar that has built-in elasticity. Two years in our time equates to roughly three years to infinity in developer time. In other words, the developer may or may not announce within some period of time that they may or may not know what the timeline is, or is not.

KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:05 am

:D :tu:

KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:29 pm

This is from the Steinberg forums:
Ed Doll wrote:The goal of this project is to replace the old license management system, not to introduce a subscription model replacing perpetual licenses.
Time to dry those panties boys. ;)

KVRist
60 posts since 10 Sep, 2015

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:13 pm

Well - The main advantage of the dongle, is that you can have Cubase installed on several computers on several locations. To switch from one computer to the other is just as simple as plugging in the dongle. It's fast, reliable and does not need a internet connection Some locations can be content protected by not connecting to the internet. Ransome-ware is more and more common these days. Just imagine all songs and sound archives you (and others) are working on would be encrypted.

Anyway - If you have to authorize on-line the software each time you have to use it on another computer it's a hassle. Especially when computers are not connected to the internet by default. You have to ask the System administrator for a temporally connection each time you have to authorize (and each time you have to de-authorize if you go to another computer). Not very funny if that happens very often.

But even if the computers are in the same room and always on-line, moving the license from one computer to another by using on-line authorization and on-line de-authorization is more of a hassle than simply unplugging the e-licener and put it in another computer. I think it will go irritating fast.

KVRist
130 posts since 23 May, 2017

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:15 pm

Spent more time posting in here than anyone else, tells others to chill. Totally my kind of humor.
What else has Steinberg taught me - I only believe it when I see it.

KVRAF
5278 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:40 pm

The licence server downtime during the last update will have left some traces at Steinberg. That was an absolute disaster and a clear sign that this system is outdated when a few more requests than usual cause everything to collapse.

The new system will certainly run over the internet (the eLicenser has always needed the internet to unlock software). But it will certainly be possible to work offline if the software is authorized.
It will be interesting to see what Steinberg comes up with.

KVRist
50 posts since 12 Sep, 2020

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:25 pm

Been using Cubasis for iOS for a while now, impressed with the product and customer service, and while a dongle free Cubase isn't a selling point for me it does inch me closer to that competitive crossgrade.
Yo Leroy!

KVRist
43 posts since 24 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:13 pm

Maybe a Reaper-style simple offline license key? That would be ideal. But I highly doubt that would happen.

I genuinely do not understand why companies try so hard with their protection schemes. 99.9% of it gets cracked anyway, and the pirates end up getting an objectively superior product for free. The only inconvenience is for the paying customer. Even iLok products get cracked, and pirates don't have to deal with any of that hardware change related nonsense that can deactivate your legitimate licenses that you bought. There are so many examples of software, including games, that have very simple protection systems, and yet the companies don't seem to have any issues making money from their products.

KVRist
278 posts since 22 Sep, 2015

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:20 pm

alberto_balsalm wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:13 pm
I genuinely do not understand why companies try so hard with their protection schemes. 99.9% of it gets cracked anyway
Yeah why don't we release all the software for free anyways? :lol: The thing is you're right in the sense that every cp gets cracked sooner or later. But it's the time in between that matters because that's the time where the product gets sold and keeps the dev alive as there is the peak in the beginning when a new version gets released.

I don't think it will be anything offline because that gets disabled in no time. If not a subscription (which I still find is very likely) then at least something cloud like or something that needs to refresh its validity every now and then. Or maybe getting rid of the dongle and introducing UAD like DSP cards XD

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”