Help me chose my first polysynth... Again.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right now I don't have any synthesizer in my possession, months ago I had a Moog Grandmother that I sent back to Thomann because of an issue with the spring reverb. While they were checking it I gave it a second thought and proposed them to exchange the GM for another synth and I would pay the difference in price if the other synth was more expensive... They accepted.

I want a Matriarch, the Grandmother shaped my taste for synthesizers so much that I'm 90% sure that that will be my next move. But still... the itch for a polysynth is bothering me and maybe I should go for the poly first, don't know...

In any case... I'm a Hip Hop producer but not in a modern sense, I do 90's boom bap with a little bit of Jazz influence and sometimes a cinematic touch. I sample a lot of music from the 70's, lots of soundtracks. Also add VSTs and of course, hardware synths. A month ago I released an instrumental project, type ''Tino Fiumara - Quibú (Full Album)'' and you will have an idea of what I do. I work mainly at my home studio, not a live performer. Build quality is important, the feel of the keys too, I want to use my next synth as a master keyboard also. My budget is around 2500 euros (can stretch it a little bit) and I'm looking for something analog or hybrid.

Here are some of my favourite options:

P6/OB6: Both are great, I'm leaning more towards the OB-6, love the sound, but is limited in terms of modulation.

Arturia PolyBrute: Even though is only 6 voices like the P6 and OB6, the PB is way more flexible in terms of modulation. People say that the build quality is great, but I havent heard good things about Arturia products keybeds, besides, I haven't heard too many good demos either.

UDO Super 6: This synth is one of my favourites, 12 voices, great build quality, great keybed, not as flexible as the PB but still can do a lot of things in terms of modulation + wavetable.

Novation Summit: This synth can do a lot, probably the most complete synth of this list, what throws me off is the keybed, I read it has the same keybed as the SL MK3. I had that controller a while ago and I sent it back because I didn't like the feel of the keys, it felt cheap.

Prophet X: The X is a little bit out of my budget, but still can consider it. I have mix feelings about this synth, I know it can do a lot, but I havent heard too many demos of the synth engine, most demos are of the 8dio samples, which are good, but not great in my opinion. I already have vsts from Spectrasonics and Spitfire which in my opinion sound better.

There are modules to consider like the Prophet 5 Rev 4 and the Peak but I need keys right now. If I buy a Matriarch first, maybe I'll pair it with a module in the future, but I have to save money again.

I would like to read some opinions/advices based on experience or knowledge because I don't know that much about synths, my addiction is relatively new.

Thanks.

I’m not sure why you think you’re going to get better information than you got the last time you asked this exact question. Do you just like seeing people type for you? There is no “be-all-end-all” synth. Your question literally answers itself. Get the Super 6 and start saving for your next synth.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:44 pm I’m not sure why you think you’re going to get better information than you got the last time you asked this exact question. Do you just like seeing people type for you? There is no “be-all-end-all” synth. Your question literally answers itself. Get the Super 6 and start saving for your next synth.
Hahaha... What's up Zero, I like to go to different forums and ask, and last time (months ago) I had 1000 euros less. These post are not just about my indecisions, are about learning from people who are more experienced than me too.

Go find some place to play them all.

I thought I knew what I wanted based on watching dozens of YouTube videos. Then I found my way into Perfect Circuit Audio where they must have every hardware synth in current production out on display and ready to be played. Literally, a hundred synths mounted on racks on the walls and on tables, covering every inch of the showroom. I spent a couple of hours in there playing every synth I had ever imagined.

That experience completely changed my mind and I bought the right synth for me (one of the ones on your list, in fact) after I fell in love with the real hardware. Play them yourself--then you'll know.

Go with the range of timbres that appeals to you. But most importantly of all, go with the kind of workflow/experience you know you don’t hate ... and hopefully even like. Included in that, would be taking a good look at what works best for the music you make, or plan to make.

Also, yes, keybed quality seems important to you, so of course prioritise that.

There is no objective right or wrong about these things. All the synths you have listed, in my opinion, are very capable. Naturally, some are more flexible. Others might, subjectively, have “that sound”. But that’s for you alone to decide.

But OK, since this is what you are asking for: if it were me in that position, budget and all, I would buy either the Matriarch or the Polybrute ... and later, very likely the other. :P Not that I’ve tried the latter, but it looks cool. :D

In other words, no idea really.

The Summit's keyboard has been upgraded since the first versions.Mine has a very good keyboard,maybe a little less perfect than the P6 but it is very pleasing anyways.Thousands miles better than my Subsequent37.The main drawback is the wavetable engine which sounds bad in my opinion,way before the keyboard.And the FX which don't work properly in series(as opposed to parallel,which works normally in this configuration)
The Super6 is not perfect either,for example on one review I read some weeks ago,you could hear a difference in level between left and right channels.And a few other things that I don't remember.

That's a plenty of budget for a first polysynth. I mean watch some video of Polybrute. I think that's a future classic synth.
Maybe it's just me but after the Prophet 5/10 reissue, P6/OB6 seem less attractive.

RichieWitch wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:19 am Go find some place to play them all.

I thought I knew what I wanted based on watching dozens of YouTube videos. Then I found my way into Perfect Circuit Audio where they must have every hardware synth in current production out on display and ready to be played. Literally, a hundred synths mounted on racks on the walls and on tables, covering every inch of the showroom. I spent a couple of hours in there playing every synth I had ever imagined.

That experience completely changed my mind and I bought the right synth for me (one of the ones on your list, in fact) after I fell in love with the real hardware. Play them yourself--then you'll know.
I would love to, but there are not music stores that sell synths where I live.

xxchopsueyxx wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:46 pm That's a plenty of budget for a first polysynth. I mean watch some video of Polybrute. I think that's a future classic synth.
Maybe it's just me but after the Prophet 5/10 reissue, P6/OB6 seem less attractive.
Actually, is my second, my first one was a Moog Grandmother, loved it but I had issues with the Spring Reverb and decided to send it back to exchange it for another synth.

The P5/P10 keyboard version is too much for my budget, I only can afford a P5 module, but I need a keyboard. P6/OB6 seems more attractive to me. The Polybrute's sound doesn't convince me yet, and I don't know about the keybed quality, I haven't heard good things about Arturia's keys. Besides that, I believe the PB is a very capable synth, very unique, and like you said, a future classic.

kvotchin wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:49 am Go with the range of timbres that appeals to you. But most importantly of all, go with the kind of workflow/experience you know you don’t hate ... and hopefully even like. Included in that, would be taking a good look at what works best for the music you make, or plan to make.

Also, yes, keybed quality seems important to you, so of course prioritise that.

There is no objective right or wrong about these things. All the synths you have listed, in my opinion, are very capable. Naturally, some are more flexible. Others might, subjectively, have “that sound”. But that’s for you alone to decide.

But OK, since this is what you are asking for: if it were me in that position, budget and all, I would buy either the Matriarch or the Polybrute ... and later, very likely the other. :P Not that I’ve tried the latter, but it looks cool. :D

In other words, no idea really.
Very helpful, thanks.

Yeah I think P5 module is a same price as the Polybrute. Very pricey. I have Arturia Keylab MK2 which is the same keybed as Matrix Brute. Poly brute might have a better one, never looked into it but for me the Keylab/Matrixbrute keybed is really nice. It’s softer touch and many people seem to prefer firmer ones. I think for synths soft touch is better. It’s so smooth to play bass lines. Reminds me of vintage synths like Alpha Juno, which was probably the best keybed I ever had. This is coming from a guy who disliked firmer Sub37/MPK keybed so take it with a grain of salt!

Tino Fiumara wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 pm
xxchopsueyxx wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:46 pm That's a plenty of budget for a first polysynth. I mean watch some video of Polybrute. I think that's a future classic synth.
Actually, is my second, my first one was a Moog Grandmother, loved it but I had issues with the Spring Reverb and decided to send it back to exchange it for another synth.

The P5/P10 keyboard version is too much for my budget, I only can afford a P5 module, but I need a keyboard. P6/OB6 seems more attractive to me. The Polybrute's sound doesn't convince me yet, and I don't know about the keybed quality, I haven't heard good things about Arturia's keys. Besides that, I believe the PB is a very capable synth, very unique, and like you said, a future classic.
i only have a keystep, not one of their synths, but i can't see them using inferior stuff on actual synths.

now, im no keys player, it's true, but over the years have owned several keyboard instruments. the arturia keys, seem as good as any other controller or modern synths ive used, light and springy feel.
not heavy like piano keys, no real resistance as such.

so decent quality but depending on what you prefer playing it might not work for you.

hope this helps a little.

xxchopsueyxx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:19 am Yeah I think P5 module is a same price as the Polybrute. Very pricey. I have Arturia Keylab MK2 which is the same keybed as Matrix Brute. Poly brute might have a better one, never looked into it but for me the Keylab/Matrixbrute keybed is really nice. It’s softer touch and many people seem to prefer firmer ones. I think for synths soft touch is better. It’s so smooth to play bass lines. Reminds me of vintage synths like Alpha Juno, which was probably the best keybed I ever had. This is coming from a guy who disliked firmer Sub37/MPK keybed so take it with a grain of salt!
Years ago I had an MPK and I actually liked the keybed so... everything is subjective. I aprreciate all the info, thank you very much.

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:18 am
Tino Fiumara wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 pm

i only have a keystep, not one of their synths, but i can't see them using inferior stuff on actual synths.

now, im no keys player, it's true, but over the years have owned several keyboard instruments. the arturia keys, seem as good as any other controller or modern synths ive used, light and springy feel.
not heavy like piano keys, no real resistance as such.

so decent quality but depending on what you prefer playing it might not work for you.

hope this helps a little.
It helps, thanks for the info.

RichieWitch wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:19 am Go find some place to play them all.
This. Otherwise you're stuck between the Moog's, Prophet's, Oberheim's and Arturia's, which couldn't be more different in terms of sound.

Experience doesn't apply to taste and the musicality of an instrument.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”