Reverbs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im surprised nobody mentioned one big downside for the lexicon pcm reverb: the usb dongle

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:52 am People love VVV, but I think it's a bit much and too grainy
In "Now" mode? :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

For added density you can also blend different reverbs (and delays into reverbs), as many top mixing engineers do. (CLA Epic tries to replicate CLA's multiple delays into multiple hardware reverbs set-up. Though I think the individual reverbs aren't that impressive.) CPU may become an issue though. R4 and Nimbus aren't high cpu, but they use several times the amount of cpu that VVV, Valhalla Supermassive, or Breeze 2 use.

Neoverb obviously is set up to blend two different reverbs and ER and the AI will generate blended reverb presets for you.

Tendou wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:22 pm Im surprised nobody mentioned one big downside for the lexicon pcm reverb: the usb dongle
And that is a massive turn off for me. But I am willing to compromise for the sound.

jens wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:23 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:52 am People love VVV, but I think it's a bit much and too grainy
in most modes. It works well on pads and long sustained effect sounds, but I hardly ever get a good sound for a mix out of it even with a good amount of fiddling. It's still better than lots of stuff, I'm just speaking relatively. I get way better results with Vroom.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah, got you now - yes, Room is certainly a lot cleaner than V³ (or many of Rooms algos to be more precise), and purposely so indeed.

Personally I prefer those Room algos btw. that might well fit into V³ btw. as the others tend to sound too cold and sterile to me somehow - LV-426 is my personal favourite....
Last edited by jens on Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Tendou wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:22 pm Im surprised nobody mentioned one big downside for the lexicon pcm reverb: the usb dongle
maybe because it's only the big downside for the loud minority :D
i too can only recommend the lexicon pcm bundle. in addition fabfilter pro r (i like the space "morphing" aspect and the decay rate eq) and the artsacoustic one (can be used for unnatural effect reverbs) and the hofa one (for convolution with a superb ir browser).

VVV is still the best afaic.
It's supposed to be a bit grainy -- it's the Digital Reverb of the Valhalla family. For pure realism, use Room.
That said, the huge range of algorithms it offers now cover pretty much all the bases; Smooth Plate and Smooth Room are a lot loss grainy than other modes, for example.
But even the original-flavor Bright Hall still beats 98% of the competition, afaic, for Lexicon-style washes.
I also prefer it for rooms, even. I've extensively compared the Tiled Room preset in both Valhalla Room and Valhalla Vintage Verb, and while it's probably true nobody would know the difference in a Full Mix, I still lean toward VVV.

I must say, it's very nice to have a single, versatile, fifty-bucks plugin that covers all of my reverb needs. Cheers, Sean Costello / Valhalla.

Like many here, I grew up in the 80s, so perhaps the digital-verb sound is just "correct" to my ears :P But I also find the streamlined control set of VVV preferable to Valhalla Room, which has two "pages" and, while indeed great sounding, requires a bit more tinkering.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:54 pm
in most modes. It works well on pads and long sustained effect sounds, but I hardly ever get a good sound for a mix out of it even with a good amount of fiddling. It's still better than lots of stuff, I'm just speaking relatively. I get way better results with Vroom.
Btw.: just to make sure we're on the same page: I use the wrong word - I should have said in "Now" color, not mode, as mode are the algorithms...

Cause it isn't a downside for everyone.
rsp
sound sculptist

mholloway wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:58 pm Like many here, I grew up in the 80s, so perhaps the digital-verb sound is just "correct" to my ears :P But I also find the streamlined control set of VVV preferable to Valhalla Room, which has two "pages" and, while indeed great sounding, requires a bit more tinkering.
Yes, I grew up in the 80's too, however I almost always prefer V³ set to 1970s color - even the 1980s setting usually sounds too clean and bright for my taste...

zvenx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:04 pm
Cause it isn't a downside for everyone.
rsp
For many of us it is indeed though, and a huge one at that. ;)

jens wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:02 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:54 pm
Btw.: just to make sure we're on the same page: I use the wrong word - I should have said in "Now" color, not mode, as mode are the algorithms...
The "now" age/ color setting is my favorite. Again I enjoy and use VVV all the time I just find it easier to get what I'm going for with VRoom in most cases. I just find it hard to get the shape... Or whatever the proper term is of VVV right for many of my uses. The reflections (early and late) seem to be a bit more sparse and grainy than I prefer so I just go to the other Valhalla reverbs so I can get where I want faster. For smooth sustained sounds VVV does great but something with a mix of percussive elements and sustained stuff ends up a bit too "echoey" for me. I could make it work but other tools just work better for me so I go with them.

The bottom line to me is that I've spent less money on reverbs than the lexicon bundle and I have dozens of choices. They are fine and may be a bit faster, but I generally keep my reverb very deep back in the mix ( outside of big effects ) so it is nice to have a huge variety of textures for my work moreso than nailing down one sound perfectly with minimal work.

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:07 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:39 am I'd buy the lexicon stuff for that price too. I'm honestly not a huge reverb afficianado. I used the free epic verb plugin from bootsie as my go-to for years and got tons done. It almost always needed to be compressed and then ducked under the source and usually EQed, but it was extremely versatile for all types of sounds. I still use it from time to time just for fun.

What are you going for reverb wise? Just curious.
At the moment it's a Vermona DSR-3 (spring), RE-201 (spring), and TC Electronics Fireworx which I've spent many hours creating presets in, and some guitar pedals too. Oh, and a weird Viscount EFX-1. I've also used a few Convolution reverbs too, but I need more flexibility. I use some vintage plate reverbs, but they can be a real pain to get working now.

It's a creative environment studio I run, so I'm more interesting in a particular character of things more than a realistic reverb.

As a note, the TC Electronics Fireworx sounds great to me and offers a load of option. They are a bargain right now, I think I paid £100. Really recommend that.
I have had lots of fun with the fireworx before. Hell I might grab one for that price. Honestly, other than very simple " add a bit of space to this sound" uses I almost always use further processing past just reverb to get the tones I want. I'd recommend saving chains with whatever you end up going with. Past that just go with what you like. There are plenty of perfectly lovely reverbs available these days. Like I mentioned, I go for for variety over something that will make the perfect sound quickly. Some of the neatest stuff I've made, reverb wise, was made with Melda mxxx. The feedback and nice modulation effects allow for some insane chains. It isn't the fastest way of working, but it's super flexible.
Depending on your host you can build some crazy chains that can do amazing tones and be reused as easily as a single plugin (I use Bitwig for this).
Completely unrelated to this, I'd recommend building yourself a spring reverb ( if you have any soldering and design experience). They can be made for next to nothing and have tons of great uses even if you just put it in part of a feedback path.

Return to “Effects”