Massive X 1.4 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X Quarantine - Massive X Presets

ok...Hink rarely bans...the jolly little sockpuppet banned...I am serious...if it is about other members and you post it you will very likely join him...stay on topic...trust me...I almost deleted this entire thread because of the jolly little troll...dont try me,...stay on topic or go somewhere else.

edit: midi_transmission...apologies, this followed your post but has nada to do with you...dont want you to get the wrong idea
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:17 pm edit: midi_transmission...apologies, this followed your post but has nada to do with you...dont want you to get the wrong idea
Poor midi_transmission :lol: - I'd be like :phew:

Back on topic:

The rub for me with MX is that so many people were looking forward to it and paid money for it, maybe as a part of Komplete.

If you bought a car and they forgot to put wheels on it, you'd be a bit annoyed.

For me, no midi learn, a pretty poor browser and no manual (though that arrived eventually!) in 2019 is the synth equivalent of no wheels - I just don't ever reach for it compared to the many many other very good synths out there, which is a great shame!

Probably one of the best sounding forward thinking soft synths available today but the preset browser sucks and overall the synth has some niggles and isn’t presented in the best way.

Imo NI priorities should be firstly bug fixes, then os updates and finally usability/improvements.

The first priority is running a profitable business. All the things
you mention, which many of us hope for, must flow out of that context. Businesses are trying to regain their footing as vaccines and treatments for covid enter daily life, and compromises are sorted. I look forward to future updates for Massive X. Having
excellent sounds with poor access to them? I'd be surpised if sometimes co-sellers U-he aren't hired to design
a great preset system for Massive X, which as a synth, doesn't seem to be a direct competitor to the U-he collection. NI should seal that deal before Zebra 3 escapes, if they know what's good for them :hyper:

NI doesn't need u-he to design a patch browser for them. :)

It's eventually going to happen, there are just more important things to resolve first.

Hink wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:17 pm edit: midi_transmission...apologies, this followed your post but has nada to do with you...dont want you to get the wrong idea
Hink. Thanks for being so thoughtful and polite . :-)

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:49 am NI doesn't need u-he to design a patch browser for them. :)
It's eventually going to happen, there are just more important things to resolve first.
I also can't imagine that it's lack of skill. Not having enough time is probably the most common problem. I'm harsh towards Massive X, but I really hope NI will come back strongly as a product focused company and not only as a sales focuses company. Overall I like this company and I think they have done a lot of good things for the industry and are important to have!

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:49 am NI doesn't need u-he to design a patch browser for them. :)

As a Mac Mini M1 user, I tend to agree, as I cannot use Massive X at all right now. :cry: Which is a shame.

That said, I guess the browser is the #1 request by the average user, no? So I hope it's high up on the "to do" list, as it would make Massive X soooo much more useful in day-to-day use. :tu:

FWIW, I never use the built-in preset browser because I use Massive X with Komplete Kontrol. Much better way to browse presets. The previews save you the time of loading each preset just to audition it, and presets are organized into banks with tags and favorites.

This is the same reason I don’t have any complaints about the preset browser in Dune. I don’t know if I’ve ever even seen it.

Komplete Kontrol has issues too, but it at least gives you a decent browser that’s consistent across many plugins, and you can take advantage of NKS mapping even if you don’t own an NI keyboard.

This doesn’t excuse Massive X for lacking a decent browser or proper MIDI mapping (those are valid complaints), but IMO it’s worth the effort to work around the rough edges because it’s a damn good synth.
Stormchild

There is a +inf dB noise burst bug reported that hasn't been reproduced by the team yet, I'm worried about using it until then.

Hink wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:17 pm ok...Hink rarely bans...the jolly little sockpuppet banned...I am serious...if it is about other members and you post it you will very likely join him...stay on topic...trust me...I almost deleted this entire thread because of the jolly little troll...dont try me,...stay on topic or go somewhere else.

edit: midi_transmission...apologies, this followed your post but has nada to do with you...dont want you to get the wrong idea
Thank you.

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:05 pm
I also can't imagine that it's lack of skill. Not having enough time is probably the most common problem. I'm harsh towards Massive X, but I really hope NI will come back strongly as a product focused company and not only as a sales focuses company. Overall I like this company and I think they have done a lot of good things for the industry and are important to have!
NI has had good browsers for a long time... that is why what is in MX is so surprising.

I'm also harsh towards MX, but that is because the basic sound engine is great. I want it to be a synth that works for me. I would also like to see NI find their footing.

Arashi wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:00 pm FWIW, I never use the built-in preset browser because I use Massive X with Komplete Kontrol. Much better way to browse presets. The previews save you the time of loading each preset just to audition it, and presets are organized into banks with tags and favorites.
Komplete Kontrol is fine for anyone who wants to browse and load existing presets but it is not viable solution for those of us making our own presets because it doesn't allow the user to organise them into banks, nor do any tags created a KK get recognised if the same preset is then loaded just into Massive X. So this means in practice all my user presets, including those I have made and those from third parties are now in a disorganised list several browser pages and hundreds of presets deep. It also means anyone wishing to share or sell their presets has to put up with this happening.

Fact is NI do have the capability already to create both banks and tags for Massive X presets - this is obvious because the banks they sell themselves have them - so this is not, as has been claimed, about extra development time, but NI simply opening up the tools they use internally to do this for all users (whether this is in the form of an extra tool or a build of Massive X with that capability I do not know).

I suppose that for the same reason there are not many 3rd party preset libraries. NI shut themselves in a foot because today there's an enormous number of bedroom producers who count on presets. It's not like Serum is so popular in the bedroom producers world because most of them is great at sound design. NI failed with the browser implementation and because of that, they make MX less popular.
The fact that they make a nice browser for GR6 (so yes, they can do it if they want) but it's still not a priority (never was) to do it for MX makes it even stranger.

Yes exactly it was a foolish mistake to inhibit the development of a thriving third party market and try to keep everything 'in-house' - completely the opposite of what made the original Massive so successful.

I just hope they don't take too long to rectify it.

pixel85 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:52 pm because of that, they make MX less popular.
This is what makes it so painful

MX is great in many ways (I think most of us agree on that?)

Sadly, the neglect of fundamental basics has scuppered its potential

(Remember when it was released with just a static picture of an envelope, and no manual?)

If no-one else was making good synths, I'd find a way to work around the shortcomings (except for no MIDI learn, that's a deal-breaker)

Except that many other companies are simultaneously making great, highly-usable, feature-complete synths that are released with manuals, so there's no excuse for NI

Edit: It must be said, I like so much of NI's stuff and would highly recommend Komplete to anyone who asked. Just don't get me started ranting about MX in particular... :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”