Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

teacue wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am
teacue wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:52 pm A question also @Brian.McClelland

The Roland Cloud manager always install VST2 and VST3 plugins.
I would like to install and use only the VST3 plugins.
Unfortunately in the Preferences I can find nothing about this.
Is there a setting to lead the Manager to only install the VST3 plugins?

BTW I am on Windows 10

For anyone interested here is the answer I got from Roland:
Roland Corporation wrote:Sorry, that's not possible.
A future version of Roland Cloud Manager may allow that, but for now it installs all formats.
Yeah, I came to this sh**t too. Not only that. It always installs the VST2 versions in C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns. In my old system I had that as my VST2 folder but I assembled a new machine, and now I decided to p+ut the VST2 plug-ins in Program Files\Common Files\VST2. Guess what? I have to manually copy the Roland folder to that location, and now have Roland Cloud always saying that there are "updates". It+s about time Roland comes up with something usable. How hard can it be to create an installer/manager that actually works. Maybe hire someone that knows how to do it?

NI, Arturia, Plugin Alliance, iZotope, IK Multimedia, and others, all have managers that work. Roland one fails to update every now and then, forcing me to reinstall it manually, regularly fails to update some instruments (Zenology especially is almost always failing), doesn't have an uninstaller, and doesn't even allow the user to choose what to install and where. How shitty can this be?
Fernando (FMR)

The JD sounds great.. however, I must say that the massive and breathy pads, sound a little bit dated (hate this word) near plugins like omnisphere or padshop pro. I love this type of sound, but I hope to see other, newer sounds from Roland in the future. I think they have the tools to create similar sounds but more big, lush, and massive.

Captain wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:04 pm
Spirit2020 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:52 am Where is the HEARTs OF SPACE factory preset in the JD800 Model Expansion?
See my previous post.
This was the first patch that I wanted to see. I don't think it's completely recreated. Compare it to the sample on synthmania. That one recorded from the original sounds much better and it's much more organic. I guess that's why they changed the name...

jackoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:51 pm
Spirit2020 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:52 am Where is the HEARTs OF SPACE factory preset in the JD800 Model Expansion?
See my previous post.
This was the first patch that I wanted to see. I don't think it's completely recreated. Compare it to the sample on synthmania. That one recorded from the original sounds much better and it's much more organic. I guess that's why they changed the name...
No matter where you pick them from, the Zenology models will NEVER sound like real modeled VI instruments. It's sad to see Roland going through this path. If they will not change it, this will be my last year subscribed. They even don't seem able to come up with a decent manager.
Fernando (FMR)

didn't we tell this doll Brian here, we need plug-outs, man. no Zenology bull.

gimme plugouts of JD and JX and good riddance baby. the rest I'm good.

fmr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:31 pm
See my previous post.
No matter where you pick them from, the Zenology models will NEVER sound like real modeled VI instruments. It's sad to see Roland going through this path. If they will not change it, this will be my last year subscribed. They even don't seem able to come up with a decent manager.
It's not something they can just change because the Zenology sound engine is simply something different.

I don't think the JD model sounds 'bad' because the patches, on the surface, are spot-on. But I understand, especially listening to the examples on synthmania, why it feels like depth and warmth isn't there. Especially when a synth like the JD is so well-known for it.

I'm crossing my fingers a 'Legendary' series JD990+Vintage Synth because there's so much there lying there. Hypothetically if that doesn't happen, I'm content with the Zenelogy JD800 model because something is better than nothing.

we need VP-330 as well.

not Zenology, Roland. NOT. "zee plug out". comprende?

Today I installed (almost) all the Pro subscription stuff on my Mac mini M1. Although not officially supported yet on this system, everything runs perfectly. A bit faster loading than on my old iMac I5 computer. That does not mean there is not room for improvement in the software. I never owned vintage Roland gear. So I cannot and will not compare the sounds with Zenology, I do not care. Overall there is lot of nice sounds in the package :-)
As far as compatibility with my Native Instruments KK and Maschine, only the AU plugins are available in Maschine and as an exception also the Concerto VST.

FotoxBr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:17 pm Although not officially supported yet on this system, everything runs perfectly.
.../...
As far as compatibility with my Native Instruments KK and Maschine, only the AU plugins are available in Maschine.
You are funny :lol: Are you sure VSTs were installed?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:32 pm
FotoxBr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:17 pm Although not officially supported yet on this system, everything runs perfectly.
.../...
As far as compatibility with my Native Instruments KK and Maschine, only the AU plugins are available in Maschine.
You are funny :lol: Are you sure VSTs were installed?
There is only vst3 except for Concerto.
There seems to be a vst3 shell available somewhere to make them run in maschine , but I did not try that. Already happy that things run on m1 anyway.

deleted sorry
Last edited by FotoxBr on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just wanted to add that everything runs fine in Ableton Live 11 :ud:

On the Mac, Roland Cloud plugins are only available in AU and VST3 formats. The only VST2s are Concerto and Sound Canvas. This means they can’t be used in VST2-only hosts like Reason and Komplete Kontrol.

Ableton Live 11 fixed a very annoying problem that affected most of the Roland Cloud plugins, which caused a significant UI delay when switching presets (the UI would freeze for 5+ seconds every time), depending on how many tracks you have in your current Live project (I have about 50 in my default template, so the problem was quite bad for me). This no longer happens in Live 11, so I’m finally getting more use out of the Roland Cloud stuff lately.
Stormchild

Shiek927 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:33 pm
fmr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:31 pm
See my previous post.
It's not something they can just change because the Zenology sound engine is simply something different.

I don't think the JD model sounds 'bad' because the patches, on the surface, are spot-on. But I understand, especially listening to the examples on synthmania, why it feels like depth and warmth isn't there. Especially when a synth like the JD is so well-known for it.

I'm crossing my fingers a 'Legendary' series JD990+Vintage Synth because there's so much there lying there. Hypothetically if that doesn't happen, I'm content with the Zenelogy JD800 model because something is better than nothing.
Looks like they have intentionally changed the 'Hearts of Space' parameters a bit and renamed it to 'Slow Bell Pad'. You can get the original 'Hearts of Space' by changing the TVF cutoff values to 46, 44, and 42, for Partials 1, 2, and 3. Those are the correct values from JD-800 factory sysex dump.

There is also a strange TVA envelope bug that is affecting the 'Hearts of Space' preset sound.
In Partial 1 the TVA T1 = 100 and TIME VELO = 29. This is causing note velocity values 5 - 18 to incorrectly change envelope attack to very fast. So, the 'Org Bell' sample is spiking through, not smooth, at low velocities.
I don't know if that behavior is in the original hardware, probably just a bug in Roland Cloud version.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 pm
Caine123 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:01 pm can you import jd800/990 soundbanks/presets?
As it’s not one of their ACB synths it isn’t enough of a 1:1 mapping of the original hardware to do a direct import. Probably have to see if they ever do one.
All the controls in the Roland Cloud JD-800 GUI are already 1:1 mapped from orginal JD-800 hardware parameters. And all the presets I have checked have exactly the same values as in the original factory sysex dump, apart from 'Hearts of Space' that was a bit modified.

It looks like it would be pretty straightforward to implement preset import. And it would produce the same sound as hardware already very accurately. ACB (Analog Circuit Behavior) is not needed because JD-800 is a digital synth.
I bet Roland already has some internal tool to import JD-800 presets. It would have been crazy waste of time and too error-prone to recreate all those factory presets manually using the GUI.

EDIT: After some more sysex comparisons I found many presets where filter parameters were not 1:1 mapped. Preset import would not be straightforward.
Last edited by bluesawsq on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”