Fuse Audio Labs releases the VCL-864U Vintage Tube Limiter/Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VCL-864U Vintage Tube Limiter/Compressor

Is it supposed to not sound like a tube compressor? The saturation is very subtle.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm Is it supposed to not sound like a tube compressor? The saturation is very subtle.
Crank it up. It's there. :phones:

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm Is it supposed to not sound like a tube compressor? The saturation is very subtle.
works fine here.

The Bucket-500, DrumsSSX and VCL-864U plugins have received a FREE GUI update and are 50% off until September 20th (12PM CET).
  • Bucket-500 Analog Delay only $24.50 ($49 regular)
  • VCL-864U Vintage Tube Limiter only $34.50 ($69 regular)
  • DrumsSSX Drum Remixer only $44.50 ($89 regular)
Use the following voucher during checkout: GC4L-BY13-S5W2

NOTE: Existing users can just download and install the new update and enjoy the GUI improvements.

I got VCL-864U a couple of days ago, and I need to say, damn, does it sound good! I never heard that type or richness and character in a digital compressor. I mean, I love MJUC, and the BRA compressors, but this is different. Congrats!
What else is great from Fuse?

if you leave the threshold at 0 so the compression is basically bypassed, and then turn up the input knob, you'll quickly find some amazing tubey saturation. the only problem is that as soon as you turn the threshold up to the point that you're getting gain reduction, you start to lose the saturation bc it's catching the peaks before they distort 😂.

however, even with the threshold at 0, if you're getting audible saturation, you're also already getting a significant amount of dynamic control and you might not even need any actual compression beyond that. usually when i reach for this box it's because i want the color, so I'll find a sweet spot in the saturation first, and then turn up the threshold so i'm just getting like 0.5 to 1.5 dB of gain reduction on the meters.

Qkimat wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:12 pm I got VCL-864U a couple of days ago, and I need to say, damn, does it sound good! I never heard that type or richness and character in a digital compressor. I mean, I love MJUC, and the BRA compressors, but this is different. Congrats!
What else is great from Fuse?
Pretty much everything? :D Just depends what you want and your taste...

trackbout wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:49 am
if you leave the threshold at 0 so the compression is basically bypassed, and then turn up the input knob, you'll quickly find some amazing tubey saturation. the only problem is that as soon as you turn the threshold up to the point that you're getting gain reduction, you start to lose the saturation bc it's catching the peaks before they distort 😂.

however, even with the threshold at 0, if you're getting audible saturation, you're also already getting a significant amount of dynamic control and you might not even need any actual compression beyond that. usually when i reach for this box it's because i want the color, so I'll find a sweet spot in the saturation first, and then turn up the threshold so i'm just getting like 0.5 to 1.5 dB of gain reduction on the meters.
Yes, I really would call the saturation it typically introduces anything but subtle.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Haha, ya I was surprised at the comment. If you turn the right knobs it's extremely noticeable!

also very fond of my new 864 here, what a vst lol
it certainly has unusual operation, and makes more sense once you read on how its signal structure works.
if you want more of the same, the 25A is another flavor of vintage tube comp (that one I don't have, but plan to), on the other forum Fuse described it as more of a tone box and "having more gain", and users say it can be better on mids while the 864 rules on the bass end.

if you don't have a Fuse preamp, then you need one indeed, the new 31A germanium is the best yet overall imo.
but I found I always have a 376 on the drum bus now.

then there's the 2C which is basically a live blowtorch inside your daw.

Grabbed it in the last week, together with the MJUC. Both are great comps, WOW! I think I'm OK with MU Comps right now. Or, maybe not. If Pulsar comes with a huge sale on their MU... hmmm...
:dog:
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

acYm wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:47 am if you don't have a Fuse preamp, then you need one indeed, the new 31A germanium is the best yet overall imo.
but I found I always have a 376 on the drum bus now.

then there's the 2C which is basically a live blowtorch inside your daw.
One I need to try out is the VPRE-562A, it seems to be way versatile. But I'm happy with the ones I have 'til now: VPRE-2C and VPRE-376, and share your thoughts on both.
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

Return to “Effects”