Audiority PolyComp updated to v1.3.1 - Multiband Mastering Compressor - AAX/AU/CLAP/VST2/VST3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PolyComp

jens wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:02 pm
jens wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:09 pm what however seems to me like a glaring omission is that you can't decrease the gain of the individual bands - all you can do is boosting them (or muting them altogether).

Luca, can we have negative gain please?
And something else that would imo greatly enhance the versatility of PolyComp:

HP and LP filters that can be switched between pre/post/sidechain

Who's with me?
I'm all for adding anything that adds versatility as long as it stays essentially the same otherwise. Is the side chain available to outside sources in vst2 or vst3? I didn't check as this isn't what I would generally grab for ducking. If so you can work around this with an external side chain.
I'm sure you know all that, but I left the studio and I'm curious now if the side chain input is available to the host. I'll go away now.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:43 pm
jens wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:02 pm
jens wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:09 pm what however seems to me like a glaring omission is that you can't decrease the gain of the individual bands - all you can do is boosting them (or muting them altogether).

Luca, can we have negative gain please?
And something else that would imo greatly enhance the versatility of PolyComp:

HP and LP filters that can be switched between pre/post/sidechain

Who's with me?
I'm all for adding anything that adds versatility as long as it stays essentially the same otherwise. Is the side chain available to outside sources in vst2 or vst3? I didn't check as this isn't what I would generally grab for ducking. If so you can work around this with an external side chain.
I'm sure you know all that, but I left the studio and I'm curious now if the side chain input is available to the host. I'll go away now.

JJ
There's no external side chain available in the VST3 in Cubase. I wouldn't mind having that feature added but for me it would go after all the other requests that have been made so far.

What I would like about HP/LP filters is how they could be used to taper the low and high band shelving gain boosts. Sure, can always be added with another plugin pre or post but would be nice to have it all in one.

Even without any of the extra requested features I still love this comp. Great work Luca!

Well with the thing being a multiband compressor you can get pretty similar effects to HP and LP on the side chain by using the multiband side chain and just compressing the lows and highs less aggressively. I'm sure the same end result can be achieved that way. There are a few very outlying use cases where you may want to use a broadband side chain with modified highs and lows to drive all three bands, but it seems to me that you wouldn't end up too far from just adjusting the crossover differently and modifying your ratios accordingly. It seems almost redundant in a multiband compressor to have side chain filtering. Still if auditory want to open the side chain input up for external sources then I wouldn't complain. There's always fun to be had by jacking up the key signal. I must say though that, for the price, this is a damn fine compressor even if they leave it as is. I'll be very happy to have some saturation added or any other stuff they might want to put in, but For 30 bucks it does the damn thing quite well. I've been slamming old breakbeats through it all evening and getting some very pretty results.

Hey guys,
I do really like some of the suggestions. About the filters positioning: currently when you select BAND, you have the filters placed before the sidechain computation. Here both the input signal AND the resulting sidechain for each band is filtered.
When you select FULL, the filters are basically placed AFTER the sidechain computation. This is the same result as placing the filters post compression. Filtering the sidechain without filtering the input signal will be out of the scope for this compressor, imho, since you'll basically end up having 3 standard compressors running in parallel. Unless that's what you are looking for :D

I'll definitely add an option to enable to input op-amps saturation and bipolar settings for the band's gain knobs. About the external sidechain input, unfortunately that will not be implemented for PolyComp.

Cheers,
Luca

Audiority wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:16 pm Filtering the sidechain without filtering the input signal will be out of the scope for this compressor, imho, since you'll basically end up having 3 standard compressors running in parallel. Unless that's what you are looking for :D
I'm not sure I quite get what you are saying here... :?

What I had in mind was the ability to compress the low band independently but without it being triggered by frequencies below a certain limit (And the same for the high band) - how is that the same as "having 3 standard compressors running in parallel"?

Edit: oh, I guess your post wasn't actually regarding the HP/LP request?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I thought he was, but I didn't follow the logic exactly. Having additional filters for the side chain signal (before the crossover and the side chain calculation in multi mode and before calculating the side chain for wideband mode) can be handy but can also be addressed in other ways. Having the side chain input fed to the plugin before there key signal is calculated would be the best of both worlds since the signal could be doubled and processed in any way you want.

That aren't interested in doing this though so it doesn't matter too much. I'm still happy with my purchase. If I need more flexibility there are lots more options to go with.
Jens I dunno if you use sub hosts or any type of modular host, but if so you can get this type of sound by splitting the signal on your own and using something like NI solid bus or the glue. Hell you could use multicomp. Depends on the options in your host.

Again, for myself, this is all nitpicking. This thing is great for sub mixes and some full mixes too. Can't stress that enough. Especially at this price.

PolyComp has been updated to v1.2

IMPORTANT: This version will require activating the plugin again. Today (Feb 15th, 2022) we are resetting all the activation slots.

Changes
- NEW: Framework update
- NEW: Band gain knobs are now bipolar
- NEW: Use ALT+Click on Bypass switches to jump between last and current value
- NEW: Vector Toolbar
- NEW: Corner resizer
- NEW: Drag and Drop license file on registration window
- FIX: Improved Licenser and Online Activation
- BREAKING CHANGE: Improved licenser requires a new activation

You can download the update from your User Area account.

This is a great and useful plugin, Audiority, it's saved my bacon branching out to parallel and processing a piece of a track differently then coming back in after when I had level issues that were difficult to go back and re-record. Precise and useful tool, this is, good sound too.

Thank you for the update.

One thing though... the DRY/WET knob is "stuck", it's not responding to the mouse.
(VST3 , REAPER 6, Win10)

Just the VST3 or also the VST2? I played with it before leaving the office today and I haven't noticed that on my Mac

Just reinstalled and tried VST2, same issue.

The DRY/WET knob doesn't move, and there's also no pop-up displaying the parameter value on mouse-hover, like on the other knobs.

Exactly the same issue here in Live 11.1 on Win 8.1. The DRY/WET knob is stuck in the DRY position BUT only on the GUI. If I close the gui and use Live's VST controls the MIX knob (presuming that is the dry/wet) moves freely. Same behaviour with VST2 & VST3 ...

Dry/Wet behaving as expected on M1 MacBook Pro. Latest OS VST2,3 and AU.

Ok this is a new level of weirdness :) I've checked the builds that I put on the installers and they work.. but the version FROM the installer have the issue. Looks like something with the compression we use for the installer is damaging that knob animation. I'll upload a fresh installer later today. Version number will be unchanged.

Return to “Effects”