Airwindows Verbity: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEh8UWgso3Y

TL;DW: Verbity is my new best reverb, which uses feedforward reverb topology.

Verbity.zip(369k)

Late nights of reverb hacking (ok, Monday mornings?) give rise to a new best reverb. At least, best for me. Perhaps it'll count as 'best' in general, we shall see, that is rather a matter of taste but it's my new favorite and is inspiring me a lot.

Meet Verbity.

This came from experiments in feedforward reverb topology, something Casey from Bricasti likes to recommend. Well, I can see why! Verbity uses the same Householder reverb matrices as the previous Reverb and MatrixVerb, but instead of each bank feeding back on itself, each bank feeds another bank and only the very last one of three, feeds back to the start again. I'm going to call this innovative not because it's such a novel concept, but because it's innovative to me, as I'd never figured that stuff out before. There are interesting things having to do with how you arrange the delay times across the three banks, and I've got some concepts from MV going for less sustainy spaces that should help spatial plausibility, and I've made some choices around the wetness and filter controls that are a little unusual.

Bottom line is, listen to this thing! I'm real happy with the tone of it. I feel it sort of kills all my previous reverbs, which is awkward when I named one of them 'Reverb', but my namespace issues won't affect your reverb tones. Just listen! Casey's a wise man, and was certainly right about the usefulness of feedforward networks. I haven't got any of his code or any other hints from him… but all the same, that one detail made a huge difference.

The Darkness control has one quirk to be aware of: you can adjust it all the way to total darkness, 1.0 which translates to complete lowpass filter. Be aware that if you do that, you can trap DC energy inside the filter, so if you're going for extreme filtration try to adjust so that the value is nearly 1.0 without actually being it. For most purposes that should work: I just don't like to restrict the controls. For any normal use you won't have Darkness nearly that high anyhow.

The Wetness control is not exactly a traditional Dry/Wet, so I'm using Wetness as the name. What it does is, as you increase it you add Wet up to 0.5 setting without turning down Dry AT ALL. Verbity can be used on stems and busses in a Console mix to put excellent custom reverb spaces on things, and set up this way you're not constantly shifting your dry-signal level when adjusting, you're just adjusting the verb level in there. If you go beyond 0.5, you start attenuating Dry while leaving Wet at full crank, and for sends you'll want Wetness to be 1.0 just as it would be with a Dry/Wet.

This is a dual mono verb, so for now you don't gain anything adding Srsly2 unless you have actual stereo content going in. Centered stuff is going to stay centered. You might not notice right off since it's so deep, so I'm telling you. This is consistent with my other reverbs, except that MatrixVerb and Reverb are able to add stereo pitch bending which will spread center content. Verbity is your basic Airwindows Bricasti-style reverb, which also means it doesn't have pitch shifting: Casey doesn't like it, and this is an exploration into the things Casey's talked about publically, to see if his wisdom leads to better reverbs.

Signs point to yes :D

These explorations are made possible by Patreon: this is one of those ones where I feel pretty comfortable saying, if you would have bought this at $50 perpetual license for all your machines, please kick another $50 per year in on the ol' Patreon. I'm working on a whole pile of things right now, but this feels like a high point in plugin releases. Though if you did that for either of my previous reverbs, call this a free update and thank you for that. They tried, but they weren't as good as the feedforward reverb could be :D

Last plugin, a poster accused me of quackery :lol: firstly, nah. Secondly, okay, try this. It might be more to your liking :D

I'll check it out, and donate to airwindows if I like it, thanks. I like the idea, sort of like feedback but the result of rarefaction rather than feedback. stil sort of the same though it's not affecting the original signal which can cause an issue.

Neat, I'll let you know how it works out.

Sounds fine with an everyday chorus effect, and also
with Sigma high-gain amp from Audio-Assault, and also
after adding one of their IR's
Verbity4chorus-effect.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here's a review of the verbity, it's basic; two thumbs up because it is a tool that you can use a basic component. I made it sound nicer with mid side.

Here's the math for that hybrid stereo mid side btw:

For the [controller_signal]:

Code: Select all

mid = 0.3 + (0.4 * root (0-1)); 
side = 1 + (-1 * (0.3 + (0.4 * root (0-1))));
For the DSP

L = L + R * [controller_signal] + R;
R = L + (R*-1) * [controller_signal] + (R*-1);
Here's My review of the product (still uploading)

Finally, to achieve the stereo width I used an optimized math, it's control signal uses a bipolar value:

L = L+((L+R*0.5)*-1);
R = R+(((L+R*0.5)*-1)*-1);
That should sound better.

https://youtu.be/P5vgGl_40dg
Last edited by kingozrecords on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Basic would be anyone still using synthedit.
So since you're using Airwindows to generate interest for yourself you'll be subscribing to the Airwindows Patreon, right????

Airwindows is still about at the synthedit level and frankly most people don't understand that you need a firm grasp of math to be able to make these things. And for the record Juce is just a more impressive synthedit, people using Juce often don't know anything but how to copy and paste.

It's funny because people will chime in like this, but maybe if they realized that anyone using synthedit is basically coding everything from scratch (due to the fact that there's basically no synthedit example code bases available). anyone using synthedit is flying solo because it's not popular enough to merit enthusiasts.

In the case of flowstone, I guess there's plenty available in the way of examples but they're all too in-efficient to be used commercially. The fact that any example provided by the flowstone forum or site uses 3% CPU should be a dead giveaway. I don't use examples because the math isn't good enough, albeit flowstone is more efficient than any other DSP product for the processing of math, including even basic C in most cases, regardless of file size.

Trying to suggest that you can make a pinto into a thoroughbred sports car is like making lead from gold, this is a good plug-in but it still needs hybrid mid side to get rid of the harmonic distortion and the distortion in general, and furthermore it could use a built in mono to stereo option, or else you're basically using any old reverb, and you end up using an extra 5% cpu anyways to be adding the extra functionality. People are only going to contribute once they see a solution that saves them time and CPU, not one that only compounds the issue.

It's not a review, it's professional advice. I haven't tried to make a custom reverb but I could probably come up with something that improved on most specs. I'm busy with other things, that pay money.
kingozrecords wrote:As you can see in the math above, Neither Airwindows or Myself requires examples in the sense of some 3d GUI, what we do is employ math, the more optimized and the faster the better.

Yeah, I didn't really expect that you would pay someone for using their tools for your benefit. Kind of ironic that you expect to be paid for your synthedit creations (which no major developer uses any more for good reasons).

ElevateAudio wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:16 pm Yeah, I didn't really expect that you would pay someone for using their tools for your benefit. Kind of ironic that you expect to be paid for your synthedit creations (which no major developer uses any more for good reasons).
I don't see why not. You have to pay for the software and you have to do the work. As long as a plugin isn't just thrown together with SE defaults and the dev has actually worked to create something new and as long as the practical value of the product is equal to the cost what can the problem be?

Let's get back to the topic: Verbity sounds amazing judging by Chris' demo video. Really spacious and authentic. Apparently it's inspired by the Bricasti reverb. The plugin 'weighs' less than 400 kilobytes for such a huge sound! I will definitely test drive it further in the coming days.

kingozrecords wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:58 pm Airwindows is still about at the synthedit level and frankly most people don't understand that you need a firm grasp of math to be able to make these things. And for the record Juce is just a more impressive synthedit, people using Juce often don't know anything but how to copy and paste.

It's funny because people will chime in like this, but maybe if they realized that anyone using synthedit is basically coding everything from scratch (due to the fact that there's basically no synthedit example code bases available). anyone using synthedit is flying solo because it's not popular enough to merit enthusiasts.

In the case of flowstone, I guess there's plenty available in the way of examples but they're all too in-efficient to be used commercially. The fact that any example provided by the flowstone forum or site uses 3% CPU should be a dead giveaway. I don't use examples because the math isn't good enough, albeit flowstone is more efficient than any other DSP product for the processing of math, including even basic C in most cases, regardless of file size.

Trying to suggest that you can make a pinto into a thoroughbred sports car is like making lead from gold, this is a good plug-in but it still needs hybrid mid side to get rid of the harmonic distortion and the distortion in general, and furthermore it could use a built in mono to stereo option, or else you're basically using any old reverb, and you end up using an extra 5% cpu anyways to be adding the extra functionality. People are only going to contribute once they see a solution that saves them time and CPU, not one that only compounds the issue.

It's not a review, it's professional advice. I haven't tried to make a custom reverb but I could probably come up with something that improved on most specs. I'm busy with other things, that pay money.
kingozrecords wrote:As you can see in the math above, Neither Airwindows or Myself requires examples in the sense of some 3d GUI, what we do is employ math, the more optimized and the faster the better.
Dude , why don't you and Dunning kruger get out of here
Comparing your synthmaker plugs with the pro grade airwindows is just hilarious :lol:
You're a joke
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

ElevateAudio wrote:Yeah, I didn't really expect that you would pay someone for using their tools for your benefit. Kind of ironic that you expect to be paid for your synthedit creations (which no major developer uses any more for good reasons).
I don't use synthedit, been tempted to use it; but there's next to no support forums and the examples are all the old x32 bit style and not modern enough. Apparently, they're not compatible. I instead use flowstone which still has an official forum at the image-line forums. I try and post up interesting new concepts whenever I can. I'm highly involved and proactive, many of the things I sell have a free open source code base available. But most people don't want to learn math.

There's many arguments thrown around, frankly the problems I've had with any plug-ins have been with synthedit based and Juce plug-ins, plainly. I'd never use Juce because of bad experiences with mostly Audiod3ck plug-ins.
I have not had many issues with other frameworks, like flowstone, synthmaker.

Even 2Getheraudio uses a pre-made framework for their synths, so does Cherryaudio (they use the same program) and Sonivox also uses the same. But all in all what it comes down to is downtime. I realized there'd be friction based on My choice of using flowstone; but what I'd come to understand is that plug-ins made with it are stalwart and reliable, I wanted to make the responsible choice; with the musicians and for the hardworking people in mind - So I would not hamper their workflow or creativity.

Variety of Sound plug-ins were My first exposure to flowstone plug-ins, I haven't thought everything they made was perfect, but they're 100% reliable (other than some of the early, strangely named ones).

Anyways, someone responded on My youtube video saying I'm an AirWindows admirer, lol. It's all cool; they thought I was dissing about this reverb, and it's far from that; so I made this other video to clarify:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISG9qk4ybt8
kingozrecords wrote:In regards to this reverb though, it's good again; but very basic. I'd use something else because of the fact that I'd have to add: MidSide, an EQ, Delay, Mono to Stereo, Hard Limiting with a high release, multi-band stereo-width control, noise gating, and multi-band stereo width control to make it of any real professional grade. You can't have a decay's tail on a vocal that's used for commercial endeavors; unless it's nearly a colorless sustain.
gentleclockdivider wrote:Dude , why don't you and Dunning kruger get out of here
Comparing your synthmaker plugs with the pro grade airwindows is just hilarious :lol:
You're a joke
Guess I'll have to make a custom new reverb then I suppose and comments like this will be the punchline.

I added Verbity to a bunch of SampleTank 4's grand pianos (without removing ST4's own reverb) and really like the sound, from the plush softness of the Berlin Grand Sonata, to the bright Baby Grand Open. Verbity has lots of nuance at hand to fill in the gaps, without a huge learning curve. I usually use the Airwindows plugins before watching the videos, which later help fill in the chasms of my technical and historical understandings :hyper:
Cheers

Is there an ability to filter out certain posters? I know there is such an option available on gearslutz, it's called "ignore" I believe and it seems it would be very useful at kvr as well, there is so much spam.

That reverb sounds sweet BTW, I can't believe you come up with so much good stuff, Chris, that's amazing.

crickey13 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:48 pm Is there an ability to filter out certain posters?
Click on their username then 'add foe'. You'll still see that they've posted but the content will be hidden (though you can click to read it if you want).

GaryG wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:59 pm
crickey13 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:48 pm Is there an ability to filter out certain posters?
Click on their username then 'add foe'. You'll still see that they've posted but the content will be hidden (though you can click to read it if you want).
Thanks, much appreciated. :tu:

Return to “Effects”