Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

I only hope it will have a real offline solution. I get that hobbyists can choose wether they want an online or offline workstations, but contract based studios working with e.g. film industry like netflix, gaming industry or even some record labels do not have this choice and I thought besides ProTools, Cubase/Nuendo has a fair share in there too. On the other hand we survied NI going online with native access and went to alternatives, this could also be done easily here.

RobinWood wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:33 pm I only hope it will have a real offline solution. I get that hobbyists can choose wether they want an online or offline workstations, but contract based studios working with e.g. film industry like netflix, gaming industry or even some record labels do not have this choice and I thought besides ProTools, Cubase/Nuendo has a fair share in there too. On the other hand we survied NI going online with native access and went to alternatives, this could also be done easily here.
Because exactly of the reason you mention, I am pretty sure there will be an offline solution.
rsp
sound sculptist

RobinWood wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:33 pm I only hope it will have a real offline solution.
Steinberg wrote:One way in which it might work (and I stress that this is only one possibility) is that you would generate some kind of hardware identification key on the air-gapped machine on which you want to run the software, copy that onto removable storage, and walk it over to another computer that can connect to the Internet. You’d then use that hardware identification key to generate a software authorization that you copy back onto the removable storage, and walk it back over to the air-gapped computer, and install the authorization. That computer would then be authorized to run the software for the duration of that license. Precisely how long that authorization would be able to last without being renewed (a year? longer?) and exactly what that process would look like are open questions at this stage.
i don't think a complete offline solution like with the dongle is planned. and the refresh-your-license nightmare can already be seen in other products. anyways i can't wait to read the massive amount of "steinberg support s*cks" posts when they introduce their system :D

Seems one has to dock so now and then.

Rumour has it the dongle goes out, but instead you now get 2-factor authentication at startup.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:29 pm Rumour has it the dongle goes out, but instead you now get 2-factor authentication at startup.
That's kinda ok as long as you only need to login quarterly and not every session...

BertKoor wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:29 pm Rumour has it the dongle goes out, but instead you now get 2-factor authentication at startup.
For real? post your source, otherwise its BS

vertibration wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:36 pm
For real? post your source, otherwise its BS
My empathy meter detected a joke.

frizzbee wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:50 pm
RobinWood wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:33 pm I only hope it will have a real offline solution.
Steinberg wrote:One way in which it might work (and I stress that this is only one possibility) is that you would generate some kind of hardware identification key on the air-gapped machine on which you want to run the software, copy that onto removable storage, and walk it over to another computer that can connect to the Internet. You’d then use that hardware identification key to generate a software authorization that you copy back onto the removable storage, and walk it back over to the air-gapped computer, and install the authorization. That computer would then be authorized to run the software for the duration of that license. Precisely how long that authorization would be able to last without being renewed (a year? longer?) and exactly what that process would look like are open questions at this stage.
i don't think a complete offline solution like with the dongle is planned. and the refresh-your-license nightmare can already be seen in other products. anyways i can't wait to read the massive amount of "steinberg support s*cks" posts when they introduce their system :D
Every CP than requires always on is an insult, be it with some days gap time or without, I will avoid such systems more than the plaque. It's absolutely the most invasive CP you can imagine and I will quit software before using it.

Hmm, maybe not so bad after all, I would finally get more tracks done than playing with plugins :party:

A machine activation like Presonus does would be the best.

Anyway, I will still not speculate about undecided things. We will see. I'm quite confident they come up with a good solution.

Well, we're talking a) about Steinberg, the company that even messed up their own plugin SDK (just take a look into the dev section) and are now trying to abolish all traces of VST2 and b) about a change that didn't come because they just wanted to, but needed to at least because of the recent issues (yes a few nagging customers are hardly a reason they're now getting rid of the dongle after years). Given my own experiences, I'm not that sure about them coming up with something smart, but of course I'll happily stand corrected. Studio One indeed works like a charm here, just importing a key file and that's it.

I must be one of the very few people that actually find Steinberg Key to be excellent type of copy protection.
I can install my Cubase and Wavelab on multiple computers and just take the Key with me.
Very convenient 😁

If steinberg going with the subscription model, I hope to see more frequent updates. Also better support as well for all costumers.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:22 am I must be one of the very few people that actually find Steinberg Key to be excellent type of copy protection.
I can install my Cubase and Wavelab on multiple computers and just take the Key with me.
Very convenient 😁
I generally agree but I think they should allow a second licence on a second dongle ... most DAWs will allow two simultaneous installs. I buy Elements for my satellite computers and have a dongles for those so I can move them around but Pro should give you two authorizations like most of their competition.

alonl6 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:29 pm If steinberg going with the subscription model
How many times does it have to be repeated that the Steinberg reps said that there will be no subcription model with the new copy protection?

This is just one post, there have been others from other reps who also said that there will be no subscription: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/license- ... 701418/129

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”