Reason+ = subscription model (20€ month)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:43 am But it is actually a good sign that they finally realize that they don't háve the capabilities to develop a DAW. Imagine how Reason could look like if they hadn't wasted manyears of development on the DAW!
Anyone who has been a genuinely involved user of Reason over the last 15 years or so knew, and also knew the devs were well aware. Don't get me wrong, for a basic DAW Reason functions just fine, but its never, ever, been a genuine focus point to Props. Ever.

Their rack is their only future and they knew this. The DAW announcements will continue to be a slow letdown to those who still believe, while milking them for more $$$ in the process hoping that those verbal 'high-res pls' people actually represent a huge need for high-res assets.

Props is seemingly banking on that for the few of you who won't stop talking about it. I think it will be a flop, they've cut momentum down considerably with their new marketing strategies among other small hints perhaps only I and a few others seem to pick up on. This time however, I don't hope I'm wrong -- current winds tell me it's the wrong direction for Props, and the wrong direction if they want a continued engaged support base.
Have you tried Vital?

I think people have it wrong - the DAW is superb... hold on I know this contradicts what I said so let me explain.

As someone mentioned - time stretching A+ amazing. Recording - lovely. Blocks - inspirational and easy to use. The mixer - I just love it. The way devices integrate to the sequencer - mind blowing. Look at pattern changes in the older devices for example. There are loads of these bits that are great

So the core business of being a "DAW" is all good however...

The actual way you control is is old fashioned and poorly designed. f8 (I always bring this up) what is that about? Why have clunky close buttons for clips/regions with an X on it. The interface takes up stacks of space.

I get it they have been marketing the "rack" for years now but again as a V1 user you have to understand - it wasn't the rack, it wasn't one thing it was the harmonious integration of all the different bits and that is still there it's just clunky as hell compared to other tools.

Reason was a studio in the box - it was truly a game changer. Even the sequencer. As someone who was using voyetra when reason came out you have to understand how simple, slimmed down yet easy to use and again how well integrated it all was. OI always saw it as a mini Atari Cubase sequencer. It was the right tool for the right job.

Now though we have some tools and some established ways of doing things that other sequencers have and reason doesn't and if you have used those platforms and have all the instruments and REs you could ever want it is frustrating to see yet more devices come out yet no updates of any merit to the sequencer. It wook what, 9 or 10 versions to get it to allow you to return ti the start of a cycle/loop when you stopped for goodness sake!

I am and always have been a "hardcore" Reason user - for 20 years whatever hardcore means in the context... and I know if you don't get it that it is easy to say these moaners aren't serious users. Well I have used it over 20 years and spent a serious amount of money on Reason over the years and I want to carry on using it but once you have dabbled elsewhere you see how things could be and it is annoying. There is so much it does right but so much more it could do if the time and investment was put in.

They could probably sell so many copies that they wouldn't need subscriptions!
- Logic Pro -

The one thing they can really improve on is the visual update rate. It kinda chugs along and some synths and even rack extensions REALLY show how sluggish the UI can be. Thankfully it doesn't affect how things like LFOTool respond and function.
Another improvement is a tad better view when editing automations.

I can overlook folder features as I can use the drum machines into several mixer channels and add new note lanes for the different drums WHICH I HAVE NOT SEEN IN ANY OTHER DAW AS AMAZING AS THIS! So much quicker on editing and looping drums in midi.

Just look at how awesome the v1 sequencer was. Clean, easy to use, sequencer functions on the top tool bar (quantize in the right place!)

It was just lovely.

- Logic Pro -

bangaio wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm Just look at how awesome the v1 sequencer was. Clean, easy to use, sequencer functions on the top tool bar (quantize in the right place!)

It was just lovely.

That really does look good. It's clear and right to the point

MuzikFreq wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:04 pm
bangaio wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm Just look at how awesome the v1 sequencer was. Clean, easy to use, sequencer functions on the top tool bar (quantize in the right place!)

It was just lovely.

That really does look good. It's clear and right to the point
Precisely. Now look at the current UX nightmare... icons and text mixed up, dead space not being used - look at everything right of the Bar drop down button - nothing there. Imagine what they could have added their. A quantise button to start with! It is totally inconsistent in it's design and layout. Look at the cluster of buttons to the left. Different size fonts, different buttons, inconsistent iconography. It is just a mess and shows how little they care about the sequencer when you compare it to the love the devices get.

- Logic Pro -

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:43 am But it is actually a good sign that they finally realize that they don't háve the capabilities to develop a DAW. Imagine how Reason could look like if they hadn't wasted manyears of development on the DAW!
Can't imagine they have put very much time into the DAW side of it :D
I wished they took another route - not open up to vst and instead add some kind of clip launcher to the DAW. Anyhow.... the only thing that makes this new concept interesting to me is to use it to have all instruments and effects gathered in one place. With updates, disappearing products and things like that happening with vst it's nice to have one login and it is all there. If i was loaded with money i would probably take this route, that is Reason instruments, effects and RE inside Ableton.

BrokenTrance wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:40 pm...the only thing that makes this new concept interesting to me is to use it to have all instruments and effects gathered in one place. With updates, disappearing products and things like that happening with vst it's nice to have one login and it is all there. If i was loaded with money i would probably take this route, that is Reason instruments, effects and RE inside Ableton.
Yes, that was - and still kind of is - a huge advantage. I remember when I got a new laptop installing Reason + all my REs (dozens by now, mostly 3rd party) was just few clicks away. Whereas for all the other DAWs and VSTs I had to spread the process for few days, trying to find websites, logins, passwords, etc.

I think they wanted to extend that model to VSTs, but the interest from 3rd party devs was probably too small and they also wasn't able to follow very dynamic changes in pricing of VSTs - they were almost always the most expensive in Props' shop, so who'd buy them there?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I buy stuff in Re format for this very reason. Decimort 2, Kuassa stuff etc. With the rack VST I can use these things in Cubase as well. But the sub model doesn't support this. Why would you buy third party Re.s without a perpetual license? They are not included in the sub and you can't use them when your sub ends. It's not a healthy indicator for 3rd party Re devs which is a real shame.

It was just lovely.

Yep. I loved the way everything worked pre-Reason/Record. It was so easy to use. I didn't have to worry about window management (which I hate) and everything was clear and concise. Record really messed all that up. To me the pinnacle of Reason was 3.x when they added Combinators and Remote. It was just so fast and intuitive.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

To be honest I think the biggest thing holding me back from actually using this as a daw is the need for more modern effects like a good multi and compressor so I can sidechain the baseline with another rhythmatic low-end without making it muddy, and other simple effects which I know would be super easy for them to make considering the amazing complex work their synths get. It really is making me just use it as a plugin and not in standalone

MuzikFreq wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:56 pm To be honest I think the biggest thing holding me back from actually using this as a daw is the need for more modern effects like a good multi and compressor so I can sidechain the baseline with another rhythmatic low-end without making it muddy, and other simple effects which I know would be super easy for them to make considering the amazing complex work their synths get. It really is making me just use it as a plugin and not in standalone
You can use mclass imager to split bands and just apply any of available compressors to them. There are even native multi band presets in factory library.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:52 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:56 pm To be honest I think the biggest thing holding me back from actually using this as a daw is the need for more modern effects like a good multi and compressor so I can sidechain the baseline with another rhythmatic low-end without making it muddy, and other simple effects which I know would be super easy for them to make considering the amazing complex work their synths get. It really is making me just use it as a plugin and not in standalone
You can use mclass imager to split bands and just apply any of available compressors to them. There are even native multi band presets in factory library.
Wait! That's what that can do?!
Oh my Lord, you may have just saved a project I was working on before work!

Omg I'm dum. I been looking everywhere for the wrong thing apparently. There's even an official video going over how to make it

Okay, the more videos I am watching the more I'm realizing how powerful the tools are like the mid side processing and using thor. Blow my mind.

MuzikFreq wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 pm

Omg I'm dum. I been looking everywhere for the wrong thing apparently. There's even an official video going over how to make it
That once was a cool thing about the reason community. With the free cv and audio routing you could manufacture just about anything you needed with the few available reason devices. IIRC I think Selig had a full Hammond b3 made out of Thor instances as the draw bars which sounded pretty good. There was also the infamous keyboard controlled glitch effect processor that used a bajillion rack spaces. The PUF used to have a sticky post of famous studio devices, and either how to make them, or combinator patches. One one hand it was a royal PITA to have to do that, but it also made you think, and got a creative vibe going. Once RE’s came out, a lot of that necessity went away.

ShawnG wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:31 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 pm

That once was a cool thing about the reason community. With the free cv and audio routing you could manufacture just about anything you needed with the few available reason devices. IIRC I think Selig had a full Hammond b3 made out of Thor instances as the draw bars which sounded pretty good. There was also the infamous keyboard controlled glitch effect processor that used a bajillion rack spaces. The PUF used to have a sticky post of famous studio devices, and either how to make them, or combinator patches. One one hand it was a royal PITA to have to do that, but it also made you think, and got a creative vibe going. Once RE’s came out, a lot of that necessity went away.
Though most of it costs extra and sometimes I noticed some things introduce additional latency to certain things unless from the official or bigger companies.
Mainly about the splitters and stuff.
Also apparently AirRaid used to have a multi and splitter which people used.... Though is now no longer available

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”