IK Total Studio 3 Max launched

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Total Studio 4 Max

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:19 pm For those with many purchased IK products, yes you should also see an auto-applied coupon but the maximum savings with the coupon will be $/€200
OK, so that's still over €500 inc tax as a cheapest upgrade from TS2 even if you have a few of the other things already.

That seems very, very expensive to me.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

So I own TS2 Max, Modo Bass, Modo Drums, Hammond. What is my discount?

JonSolo wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:00 pm So I own TS2 Max, Modo Bass, Modo Drums, Hammond. What is my discount?
Just put the upgrade in you shopping cart and check which discount is applied at checkout.

Funny, I don't see the upgrade option anymore. Just the Maxgrade. Still $299 in my cart, when the only thing I don't own is Sampletank 4 Max. (I own 3).

The other day I saw TS3 Max as an upgrade for $399...that no longer shows up...it shows as $499. Did they up the price $100 before giving me the $200 off coupon?

I would have probably bit for $199, given I was only getting ST4 Max new, and maybe a reverb or two.

$299 seems too much when I own TS2, Modo Bass and Drums, Hammond, T-Racks Max, all the Miroslav stuff (even before I upgraded to TS2).

JonSolo wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:05 pm Funny, I don't see the upgrade option anymore. Just the Maxgrade. Still $299 in my cart, when the only thing I don't own is Sampletank 4 Max. (I own 3).

The other day I saw TS3 Max as an upgrade for $399...that no longer shows up...it shows as $499. Did they up the price $100 before giving me the $200 off coupon?

I would have probably bit for $199, given I was only getting ST4 Max new, and maybe a reverb or two.

$299 seems too much when I own TS2, Modo Bass and Drums, Hammond, T-Racks Max, all the Miroslav stuff (even before I upgraded to TS2).
We’re pretty much all at the same place. At 199$, they would have sell a lot of upgrades.

The admins over at the Cakewalk forums had to lock two threads about this subject, as things got a little overheated over there. Which is unusual for such a typically calm and friendly bunch. :wink:

Pretty much the same value observations there as well...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

it's everytime the same situation since many years, when ik releases a new successor and doesn't offer an upgrade option - so you have to wait a bit longer and buy it in a realy cheap sale - maybe this black friday or even next year, let your wallet decide which prices IK can ask for.

sacer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:42 am it's everytime the same situation since many years, when ik releases a new successor and doesn't offer an upgrade option - so you have to wait a bit longer and buy it in a realy cheap sale - maybe this black friday or even next year, let your wallet decide which prices IK can ask for.
or just don’t ever upgrade which is the option I’m going for

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Yes, if $200 off the lowest MAXgrade pricing doesn't do it for you, hopefully another product/offer/etc hits you next time. That's a large discount in addition to the MAXgrade, sorry if that doesn't work for everybody except the folks I see using the coupon and MAXgrade since the release. Thank you either way, for your consideration or for your purchase whichever it may have been.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:14 pm
sacer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:42 am it's everytime the same situation since many years, when ik releases a new successor and doesn't offer an upgrade option - so you have to wait a bit longer and buy it in a realy cheap sale - maybe this black friday or even next year, let your wallet decide which prices IK can ask for.
or just don’t ever upgrade which is the option I’m going for
+1

I for myself am happy with TSM2. As I like some of the products and don't need the latest and greatest, I spend my money elsewhere. This is mainly because of some nasty things having to do with marketing, buy options in the work GUI, installation, transfer policy etc. I am not willing to support this and have chosen to vote withy wallet.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:45 pm Yes, if $200 off the lowest MAXgrade pricing doesn't do it for you, hopefully another product/offer/etc hits you next time. That's a large discount in addition to the MAXgrade, sorry if that doesn't work for everybody except the folks I see using the coupon and MAXgrade since the release. Thank you either way, for your consideration or for your purchase whichever it may have been.
Despite you telling us that many are buying the upgrade I bet that you will see many more if and when you will discount the upgrade price by 80% or 90%... Until then whatever your sales number are they will surely be lower than what they would have been if you asked anything between $100 and $200 upgrade from Total Studio 2 Max to Total Studio 3 Max allowing to use Jam Points on that too.
If I will upgrade it will be only when such a huge discount happens.

Of course, many months to a year down the line when something goes on promotion there will be additional sales. Thank you, I am aware. Those who decided Total Studio 3 MAX is worth what they paid at this time will have been using the tools included for that period of time, hopefully happily making music and/or money in the process. This is nothing new.

IK are not alone, so it must be a business model that works.

Personally I never buy a 'single' Arturia product, NI product (not even a sound pack) or any izotope products etc- For each of them I have some sort of 'bundle' to upgrade so I know I will get everything when I upgrade to the latest bundle at some point and no discount for what I already own. Every now and again there is a 'must have' (for me it was upgrading to A5) and you just bite the bullet, but in this case (TS MAX) I wait for everything else ( I probably would would have upgraded to 3 MAX if I hadn't already just bought A5 Max...that's what you get for buying single products when companies do bundles!)

Kilohearts (for example) have a great model- I bought Phase Plant, and then when I started buying the snapins it started reducing the 'ultimate bundle' price until it actually tempted me to buy it...now that clever (and you get a constant stream of revenue, people buy stuff when it comes out knowing they won't be disadvantaged)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:16 pm IK are not alone, so it must be a business model that works.

Personally I never buy a 'single' Arturia product, NI product (not even a sound pack) or any izotope products etc- For each of them I have some sort of 'bundle' to upgrade so I know I will get everything when I upgrade to the latest bundle at some point and no discount for what I already own. Every now and again there is a 'must have' (for me it was upgrading to A5) and you just bite the bullet, but in this case (TS MAX) I wait for everything else ( I probably would would have upgraded to 3 MAX if I hadn't already just bought A5 Max...that's what you get for buying single products when companies do bundles!)

Kilohearts (for example) have a great model- I bought Phase Plant, and then when I started buying the snapins it started reducing the 'ultimate bundle' price until it actually tempted me to buy it...now that clever (and you get a constant stream of revenue, people buy stuff when it comes out knowing they won't be disadvantaged)
Agreed, they're not alone. I honestly hate these models more and more but they must work financially.

I'm already in with Arturia, NI, and Izotope. Arturia is a lot like IK.

Izotope's makes no damn sense since they keep just creating different bundles of the same content and offering cheaper upgrades to new users than long-time users. It's no wonder they went to the subscription model.

elxsound wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:28 pm Izotope's makes no damn sense since they keep just creating different bundles of the same content and offering cheaper upgrades to new users than long-time users. It's no wonder they went to the subscription model.
Maybe this is the cunning plan, piss everyone off with upgrade prices so we go quietly towards the inevitable subscription models (that will ultimately cull half of the market, as most will only end up subscribing to 1 or 2 companies....)

Return to “Instruments”