Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

billcarroll wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:22 pm Hold down the option key and double click on the MIDI or audio event and it will zoom to size for you in the edit window.
Thanks Bill! Had the right idea, just the wrong modifier.

So there you go MuzikFreq, both things were possible!

billcarroll wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:22 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:31 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:22 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:14 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:11 pm Maybe... I'm just dumdum in studio one 5 since I never use inspector type stuff and usually have everything laid out in front of me.
Well, give the pin method a shot! I believe it'll do what you're looking for.

If you elaborate on your zooming issues (not sure what you're trying to do or having trouble with), there might be someone else who can help with that. I don't recall Studio One being particularly bad about zooming, but I've been spending my time mostly in Reaper these days.
So let's say I have a 4 bar midi clip, in Ableton Live it will open just that 4 bar clip and be automatically zoomed to the 4 bar length.
Reason is kinda similar but instead of just showing the clip, it shows stuff past that clip and if wanted all I have to do is click the zoomed button and it will resize the editor to just show the clip I am editing.
Bitwig is the best of both worlds where to have a track and clip tab so I can choose how I want to edit.
Reaper opens the clip I am wanting to edit and really highlights the clip space.

Studio one is derpy and won't either zoom into a workable space and shows only track editing and not clip editing, I just highlights the clip length.
Yeah, that's annoying indeed.

A modifier would be an easy to way fix that without breaking current behavior. Double click to open track. Ctrl+double Click to open clip (vertical zoom set to min/max note bounds and horizontal zoom to clip size).
Hold down the option key and double click on the MIDI or audio event and it will zoom to size for you in the edit window.
Well I'll be....

What is up with that clip launcher trend? I thought that Ableton Clip Launcher hype was long gone and left behind at around 2010-2014.

It’s great for live performance, but I I never see anyone else using it in real life, even online.

I’m not moaning, just curious. Only downside for me is that it cuts from other direction/features development time, and that was the main reason I chose to leave Ableton for other DAWS.

I left Ableton and was happy to leave all that bloat behind me, but now I see it chasing me everywhere. :D

GNXT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:30 am What is up with that clip launcher trend? I thought that Ableton Clip Launcher hype was long gone and left behind at around 2010-2014.

It’s great for live performance, but I I never see anyone else using it in real life, even online.

I’m not moaning, just curious. Only downside for me is that it cuts from other direction/features development time, and that was the main reason I chose to leave Ableton for other DAWS.

I left Ableton and was happy to leave all that bloat behind me, but now I see it chasing me everywhere. :D
Your world is not everyone else's world, you know. I use the Ableton matrix every day for composition. I've used it for professional gigs and for my personal album work. All my songs start in the session matrix.

I'd politely encourage you to not make big assumptions about what is or isn't widely used based only on what you're seeing in Youtube videos or gleaning from random forum chatter.

mholloway wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:48 am
GNXT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:30 am What is up with that clip launcher trend? I thought that Ableton Clip Launcher hype was long gone and left behind at around 2010-2014.

Your world is not everyone else's world, you know. I use the Ableton matrix every day for composition. I've used it for professional gigs and for my personal album work. All my songs start in the session matrix.

I'd politely encourage you to not make big assumptions about what is or isn't widely used based only on what you're seeing in Youtube videos or gleaning from random forum chatter.
Sorry if I upset you, I didn’t make any assumption I just shared my point of view and my needs. :wink:

I stated clearly that I was taking about me and that I’m curious about it and that i find it interesting and annoying :)

I wasn’t talking about forums or YouTube but mostly about real life examples from my professional experiences and as I said it is the best thing for live performances and load of people use it for that. And that’s the reason own Ableton.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings to us, hope everybody will be happy with the release. :party:

SLiC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:25 pmI think a lot of people were expecting full clip launcher in 5 (after logic and DP did it) and were a little underwhelmed with the show page...maybe it just wasn't quite ready for the 5 launch.
Maybe people around here but S1 seems to me to be more focused on things other than EDM production. TBH, if they hadn't added the Show Page I would never have had any interest in it. Turns out it's not going to be of any use to us but if I'd seen yet another clip launcher for the EDM kiddies, I would never have even thought to look at Studio One, which turns out to be exactly the kind of host I was looking for to replace Orion. It's not perfect but it gets a helluva lot closer than anything else I've looked at.
mholloway wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:48 amYour world is not everyone else's world, you know.
I think he explained more than adequately that his view goes well beyond his own needs.
I use the Ableton matrix every day for composition. I've used it for professional gigs and for my personal album work. All my songs start in the session matrix.
OK, so one person uses it, hardly enough to justify anything, is it?
I'd less than politely encourage you not to make big assumptions based solely on your own needs. It makes you look totally self-centred, with no regard for anyone else's requirements. It's just about the polar opposite of what GNXT wrote, which was a reasonable question, based on his own experience and observation of the wider world, humbly asked.

Anyway, those of you concerned about bloat should remember that Studio One is a tiny install. I got a new Surface Pro yesterday and I was installing stuff last night. The S1 install is less than 200MB, smaller than some plugins. So as long as new features don't take up space on the GUI, I don't think bloat is going to be an issue. Installing all the included content can definitely lead to bloat, there's about 30 gigs of stuff available, but the application itself seems very minimal.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Everyone who uses Push uses the Session view. Push only records into Session, not Arrange, so every video with Push is using the Clip Launcher.

I wasn't able to catch any of the video that aired earlier,from the link , was at work, and now the link is dead.

So is Presonus actually adding an option to compose with clips now?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:50 am I wasn't able to catch any of the video that aired earlier,from the link , was at work, and now the link is dead.

No.

There are updates to Arranger that make it work more like scene launching which is helpful for composing (using arranger’s new mode + loop recording), but no Ableton style clip launching.

GNXT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 am
mholloway wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:48 am

Sorry if I upset you, I didn’t make any assumption I just shared my point of view and my needs. :wink:

I stated clearly that I was taking about me and that I’m curious about it and that i find it interesting and annoying :)

I wasn’t talking about forums or YouTube but mostly about real life examples from my professional experiences and as I said it is the best thing for live performances and load of people use it for that. And that’s the reason own Ableton.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings to us, hope everybody will be happy with the release. :party:
Lol sounds like you’re the one getting emotional. Dude gave you a calm logical response and you’re accusing him of “being upset.” Smells like some bad faith arguments to me.

eclipxe wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:58 am
trusampler wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:50 am I wasn't able to catch any of the video that aired earlier,from the link , was at work, and now the link is dead.

No.

There are updates to Arranger that make it work more like scene launching which is helpful for composing (using arranger’s new mode + loop recording), but no Ableton style clip launching.
Thanks for the reply.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

MuzikFreq wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:22 pmStudio one is derpy and won't either zoom into a workable space and shows only track editing and not clip editing, I just highlights the clip length.
Are you sure you don't have arranger & editor zoom levels linked? I never really noticed it to be wonky.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

GNXT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:30 amI left Ableton and was happy to leave all that bloat behind me
It's hillarious to see "bloat" used to describe Ableton.

Yes, I do understand the context (you don't find clip launcher useful), but still :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 am
GNXT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:30 amI left Ableton and was happy to leave all that bloat behind me
It's hillarious to see "bloat" used to describe Ableton.
indeed, I always associate that with reaper

Guys, I just expressed my opinion, I know I'm not a regular forum-head guy, so if I expressed my self wrongfully I'm sorry. :pray:

I didn't accused anyone for anything, just said sorry if I upset someone in the way I expressed my self, as the tone indicated that. Text is not the best form for conversations, misinterpretations are usual.

As for Ableton it's not bloated :D , I just don't need my main DAW to have a clip launcher , also I own a push and I never use it for launching clips (to be honest maybe a couple of times per year) that's why I purchased Studio One as a "traditional" modernised DAW to go along with either Ableton and/or Bitwig.

So me personally I wouldn't want presonus focusing on any way of live performance or clip launching for it, I have Ableton for that, but I understand that people would love that and are waiting for it and I hope they'll be happy with what's coming, if I don't like something I can move on.

Everything else I expressed previously was based on my preferences and my experiences, I never said nobody is using it, I honestly thought that it went out of fashion and replaced with the hardware/modular trend (and I don't use trend in a negative way).

p.s. Reaper is over-bloated but in a nice way for my needs :hihi:
Last edited by GNXT on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”