Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

benmcc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 pm Waste of money buying a new interface when you could just tweak this. Unless you really want to buy an RME of course. Their drivers are supposed to be excellent and give very low latency.

studio one options.jpg
I tweaked this, 12ms sounds about right but -
honestly - midi recording should work perfectly from the start. How can I be ever really sure it's not messing with my timing?

I'm a pro, I want things where I played them. Not almost there.

I tried it for almost a year. I don't have much music time, tho. I returned to Reaper as I find it much easier and flexible. I admit I like to customize my workflow.

My TOP reasons:
¤ no customization of mouse modifiers
¤ SO tools that should be like workflow improvement just sux to me. I can do all this with mouse modifiers in Reaper (dicing and slicing, moving and copying...). They can stay there but should be also accessible with mouse modifiers
¤ no MIDI FX on the track directly before VSTi. You have to create a separate midi track, then all the routing... Come on!!!
¤ track flexibility. I just want a track, not an audio track and midi track
¤ track vs mixer tracks paradigm (I like it 1:1)

In general, and this is my subjective opinion, it takes many slow steps in SO to do something, I can do in Reaper in a snap.
I sold SO5 PRO for pennies and immediately prolonge Reaper 6-7 license and will not look back anytime soon.

midiboss wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:21 amI tried it for almost a year ... returned to Reaper ... in Reaper ... prolonge(d) Reaper 6-7 license
So, basically you want to turn S1 into Reaper :)

How about just stay there, if you don't see - or don't care - for any of S1's strengths? :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Glad to hear the midi record offset in the Options/Advanced/Midi has helped with your problem. I'm not familiar with every single DAW intimately but this solution is not common in most of them.

Also, people usually forget about input quantize - here it is.
Input quantize.jpg

If quantizing notes is acting weird make this macro -
Quantize Notes to grid.jpg

Then set up this key command for your macro -
Quantize Keyboard Shortcut.jpg

Use the key command to quantize your notes, it works great.

Also be aware that there are three independent quantize panels. One for the arrangement and one for each of the midi/audio editors. My advice is set them all the same. I deliberately made these different to show example.
Sort Midi Recording.jpg
Always use that quantize macro key command. Its as simple as pressing 'Q' on your keyboard. All of these things will hopefully resolve any midi problems that may exist on your system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by benmcc84 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quantize is fine but I don't want my playing quantized. I want it exactly as I play it and this is something a DAW should do.

Some things need to be rushed and other things laid back. It's called groove. There's almost no groove in quantized recording.

Btw, I'm not directing this at you but at Presonus.

S1 worked perfectly fine until they introduced dropout protection in their engine. Which can't be really turned off, just set to minimum. f**ked up the timing and it's been so ever since.

They know about it, it's been said many times. They just don't want to do anything about it.

antic604 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:30 am
midiboss wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:21 amI tried it for almost a year ... returned to Reaper ... in Reaper ... prolonge(d) Reaper 6-7 license
So, basically you want to turn S1 into Reaper :)

How about just stay there, if you don't see - or don't care - for any of S1's strengths? :hug:
Wheras i went the other direction and could not be happier. S1 is way more stable/reliable/predictable than Reaper for me. Particularly for midi. But it dkes take some time to realise tje single track Reaper paradigm is actually limiting. That is aspect that has taken me the most time to get used to as I was with Reaper right from the start and only recently switched and still use Reaper for some audio only work

soulata wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:13 am Quantize is fine but I don't want my playing quantized. I want it exactly as I play it and this is something a DAW should do.

Some things need to be rushed and other things laid back. It's called groove. There's almost no groove in quantized recording.

Btw, I'm not directing this at you but at Presonus.

S1 worked perfectly fine until they introduced dropout protection in their engine. Which can't be really turned off, just set to minimum. f**ked up the timing and it's been so ever since.

They know about it, it's been said many times. They just don't want to do anything about it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. No problem. I understand exactly what quantizing is and the benefits of humanizing your midi material. That's why earlier I posted the screenshot of the Options/Advanced/Midi record offset. Keep input quantize turned off and just adjust that a bit. You already stated that 12ms has helped with your midi record timing.

I only posted all of that stuff (screenshots etc..) because people seem to be complaining a lot about midi problems in studio one. I just wanted to share these solutions because in most cases something very simple is being overlooked by the user.

Good luck with your midi.

It’s a mess on my iMac Pro the only daw that would keep crashing randomly and really often. I love everything about it, but I can’t use it for serious work or in front of clients. After 4.6 if I remember right (maybe 4.3) Pandora’s box has opened.

A PC would fix this, and many other problems for you, I am certain. I've been using Studio One several hours a day for the last six months and it has crashed on me precisely once, about two weeks in. It's very good with automatic back-ups, though, often prompting me to go to one when I've deliberately not saved changes.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

GNXT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 am It’s a mess on my iMac Pro the only daw that would keep crashing randomly and really often. I love everything about it, but I can’t use it for serious work or in front of clients. After 4.6 if I remember right (maybe 4.3) Pandora’s box has opened.
Weird... It's worked pretty solidly for me on my mac.

Yes I’ve seen people who never had problems and other that have exactly the issues I’m having with it.

PC is not an option for me atm so I have to compromise.

Support said they are going to keep looking into it but not luck yet, I had long trials with them working through it on 3 tickets but neither me or them could reach any conclusions.

I even tried a few projects on a clean install with stock plugins but even significantly less I still had a few crashes.

All other Daws on my system run flawlessly.

GNXT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 am It’s a mess on my iMac Pro the only daw that would keep crashing randomly and really often. I love everything about it, but I can’t use it for serious work or in front of clients. After 4.6 if I remember right (maybe 4.3) Pandora’s box has opened.
I've read enough reports like this one that stop me from even considering S1. Stability is feature 1 for me.

I think I am actually going to be moving back to it as I decided to take tonight to learn some basics about it.
Starting to really understand the workflow a bit now and finally figured out the pattern editor and how I can link multiple midi tracks to control each part of Impact.

I also started to look at it as something that has future expandability with stuff like the faderports which is pretty amazing and just a more in general workflow.

I'm finding it thanks with all the help on here to be when I think it can't or doesn't have something it actually does.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:32 am
I've read enough reports like this one that stop me from even considering S1. Stability is feature 1 for me.
Yeah on the Mac its a mess. It either runs flawlessly for some or a complete tragedy for others (me). It's just a very finicky DAW on Macs. Anything can throw it off and it's always hard to pinpoint what. I really wish Presonus would fix that. I just never see the same type of issues with any other DAW on my system and I own Bitwig, Logic, Reason, Ableton Live, and have FLStudio and Reaper installed (demo versions). Its really frustrating because S1 is really my favorite DAW. I already installed it on my custom built X99 PC but not to turn this into a macOS vs Windows debate but I'm not a fan of Windows and I hate the experience of making music on that machine.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:01 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:32 am
Yeah on the Mac its a mess. It either runs flawlessly for some or a complete tragedy for others (me). It's just a very finicky DAW on Macs. Anything can throw it off and it's always hard to pinpoint what. I really wish Presonus would fix that. I just never see the same type of issues with any other DAW on my system and I own Bitwig, Logic, Reason, Ableton Live, and have FLStudio and Reaper installed (demo versions). Its really frustrating because S1 is really my favorite DAW. I already installed it on my custom built X99 PC but not to turn this into a macOS vs Windows debate but I'm not a fan of Windows and I hate the experience of making music on that machine.
Tracktion (Waveform) is also like this... for years I kept it and always upgraded to try it again, but each new version always crashed constantly on my Mac. Never again! so when I hear similar reports from S1, it is a big NO.

Besides that, I am happy with my Bitwig and Logic combo so in no need for a replacement of either. S1 does some good stuff.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”