Cheap Headphone Recommendations

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghostwhistler wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:38 pmHow do they compare to the 206's?
Never tried the 206s. Just putting my positive impressions of the K52s out there.

In all honesty, you probably can’t go too far wrong if you stick with an established brand. :tu:

I have these , they are great. Wouldn't hesitate to buy them again or get the closed back version as well.

https://www.studiospares.com/headphones ... 448780.htm

The Audio Technica ATH-M40s are my faves. Also, the Sony MDR7506. If you are really broke, Audio Technica ATH-M20s or 30s.

The best quality price ratio is from Superlux, some of their models outperform entry level AKG's like the K52's.
-HD668b for a flat/neutral sound
-HD681 for a bassy sound
-HD681b for a sound in between the two above, balanced and bassy enough to be used for various tasks.

Thanks for the replies

bedjka wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 am The best quality price ratio is from Superlux, some of their models outperform entry level AKG's like the K52's.
-HD668b for a flat/neutral sound
-HD681 for a bassy sound
I had both of them here, and did a comparison. The sound was more or less exactly the same for me, with the difference that the HD-681 have MUCH more bass. Which, obviously, was the plan, because, those are rather from the hi-fi Superlux line. Their studio cans either have a B or F behind the name, suggesting Balanced (sort of inbetween hi-fi and flat) or Flat frequency response.

As mentioned earlier, I'd recommend the HD-668B. Never heard anything like it for that price... I'm sure they even beat most 100 € cans, even from well-known brands.

Another thing with the 668Bs, comfiest headphones I've ever had. I did splash out ~£4 for velour earpads and I can wear them for hours, forgetting I have them on. No issues with my glasses. Maybe it's the lack of a traditional headband, those two 'rests' just gently sit on your head, don't even feel them.

Same. :tu: And I wear glasses too.

tony10000 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:57 am The Audio Technica ATH-M40s are my faves. Also, the Sony MDR7506. If you are really broke, Audio Technica ATH-M20s or 30s.
I am a big AT fan. I use ATH-M20x. Full disclosure: I also have I studio control room I can drag my laptop into and use my reference monitors.

I have ATH-M40. They sound nice, but I think they are so fragile. The earpads wore off in just 2 years. Bought a sheep skin earpads later on. Why the the hell the quality of things are so crap these days...

Igro wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:57 pm .... Why the the hell the quality of things are so crap these days...
So you buy new ones every 2 years... :P

No, I just replaced the earpads (not headphones)

Apple ear buds, the old, wired ones sound pretty decent... Really, I swear this is not a joke :D ...
Compared to headphones in the sub 20 range those sound pretty good.

GaryG wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:40 pm The hd201 was the default cheap headphones recommendation a few years back but think there's lots of competition now. Though music radar liked the 206s... https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/senn ... 206-review
Both discontinued by Sennheiser FYI.

For a little more cost ($50), the AT 20s are IMO a good set of heaphones, if you don't mind a little extra thump in the low end that AT is famous (infamous) for. Not sure if that's cheap enough for "cheap" (subjective and depends on your needs). I've heard some good things about Behringer HPS3000 ($20) and isK HF2010 ($40), FWIW

PS the Superlux are semi-open - not good for tracking.

sigmundklaus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:52 am Apple ear buds, the old, wired ones sound pretty decent... Really, I swear this is not a joke :D ...
Compared to headphones in the sub 20 range those sound pretty good.
Earbuds are REALLY bad for your ears and prolonged use WILL do permanent hearing damage.
The iPod generation are all going to develop tinnitus as they age. People commit suicide over that.

You NEED openback headphones if you are going to be mixing for any length of time.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”