Phonec updated to v2.4 (Now with MPE support)

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MCMorrise wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:18 pm Hey Jack, loving version 2.4. I'm noticing a bug with note behavior when I use the sustain pedal. This may be a Logic X thing (I'm using 10.5.1) but I've never had it with other synths.

If I press notes and then press and release the sustain pedal (while continuing to hold said notes), they continue to sound as expected.

If, while holding the sustain pedal, I release and then press those same notes a second time, they will release with the sustain pedal, even though I'm still holding the keys.

The complication with this odd sustain behavior lies mostly with the fact that as a pianist, I'll often roll chords while the sustain pedal is down and still be holding some of those notes when I release the pedal.

Does that make sense? :?
A similar bug was supposedly fixed long ago, I'll have to look into it.
Also, I have a request. I would really, really like some kind of warning dialogue when I'm about to overwrite a patch. I have redundant backups of everything I make, but the ONE time I hadn't backed it up yet, I overwrote it. The Load and Save buttons look the same at 7 AM. :help: :cry:
I'm overhauling the patch management system for Phonec3, which I'm working on currently. These annoying problems will be fixed.

WOOOOOOO! I'm so excited! Will we have some way of translating our Phonec2 patches?

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:45 pm I'm overhauling the patch management system for Phonec3, which I'm working on currently. These annoying problems will be fixed.
This is great to hear. I hope you'll be adding in MPE expressions as modulation sources.

Also - I vote for multi-touch support! :)

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:45 pm
MCMorrise wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:18 pm Hey Jack, loving version 2.4. I'm noticing a bug with note behavior when I use the sustain pedal. This may be a Logic X thing (I'm using 10.5.1) but I've never had it with other synths.

If I press notes and then press and release the sustain pedal (while continuing to hold said notes), they continue to sound as expected.

If, while holding the sustain pedal, I release and then press those same notes a second time, they will release with the sustain pedal, even though I'm still holding the keys.

The complication with this odd sustain behavior lies mostly with the fact that as a pianist, I'll often roll chords while the sustain pedal is down and still be holding some of those notes when I release the pedal.

Does that make sense? :?
A similar bug was supposedly fixed long ago, I'll have to look into it.
Also, I have a request. I would really, really like some kind of warning dialogue when I'm about to overwrite a patch. I have redundant backups of everything I make, but the ONE time I hadn't backed it up yet, I overwrote it. The Load and Save buttons look the same at 7 AM. :help: :cry:
I'm overhauling the patch management system for Phonec3, which I'm working on currently. These annoying problems will be fixed.
I experience similar sustain pedal issues. Hard to describe it but play some chords that have common notes and meanwhile press and release the pedal and you'll notice some notes will cancel out and you get stuck notes every once in a while.

Hello, CM version lover here. Any plans to update (full) Phonec to VST3 version?
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

I traded emails with Jack back when Echomelt 3 came out and he said there are plans for upgrades to the rest of the catalogue onto the new framework they're using for that. He was very responsive by email and stated that is the best way to reach him, as he doesn't monitor this forum and the notifications here are not reaching him always.

Great news! Phonec VST3 is on my wishlist.
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP

yzcoruhT wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:11 am Hello, CM version lover here. Any plans to update (full) Phonec to VST3 version?
Yes, Phonec3 is in the works and will be available as a VST3 plugin. I don't have a timeline currently as it's still early, but it is coming along nicely. I will be posting more about Phonec3 soon. Keep an eye on the Psychic Modulation Facebook page. But I will also try to post more regularly here too.

Ay hint as to whether MPE expressions will become assignable mod sources? (ie. a more full imiplementation of MPE)?

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 pm
yzcoruhT wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:11 am Hello, CM version lover here. Any plans to update (full) Phonec to VST3 version?
Yes, Phonec3 is in the works and will be available as a VST3 plugin. I don't have a timeline currently as it's still early, but it is coming along nicely. I will be posting more about Phonec3 soon. Keep an eye on the Psychic Modulation Facebook page. But I will also try to post more regularly here too.

Thank you for informations, Jack. I don't have FB account.

Yeah I don't have Facebook either

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:45 pm A similar bug was supposedly fixed long ago, I'll have to look into it.
Can confirm that this bug persists with Logic 10.6.1.

Also, I have 3 feature requests. No worries if it's too late in the process for Phonec v3 to see them implemented; I know software development is hard work. I know they would provide tangible additional functionality for people like me who are already pushing Phonec's capabilities pretty hard. (I did a video tutorial "manual" about Phonec for Groove3 the year before last and wrote ~100 patches, which I narrowed down to a small set for Groove3 customers, but I keep finding new ways to make very weird, very cool sounds.)

1. I'd love to be able to make the filter cutoff glide when glide and portamento are on, in the style of most if not all analogue synths equipped with filter keytracking and glide. Perhaps an implementation of this would look like the "chain resonance" button on the HPF. I ask because I have some legato patches designed to sound like operatic soloists that rely on filter self-oscillation for some of the formant. They sound great if I hold one note! But they make a rough "glottal stop" or "choking" sound when the oscillator pitch glides from note 1 to note 2 and the filter cutoff simply jumps.

2. I love using keytracked LFOs to modulate various parameters, because of the natural polyrhythmic relationships between the 1/octave, 3, and 5 of a major scale. Something about those 4:3, 3:2, 2:1 undulations just feels very nice. Anyway I noticed that when LFO 3 has TRACK on, it does not track the keyboard in the expected way; the LFO rate isn't doubling per octave. So it would be nice to have a switch between the "weird" tracking and more traditional 1V/octave (LOL) tracking. (I also noticed the LFO square wave is pretty rounded. That's very useful to prevent clicks and pops when modulating filter cutoff — Applied Acoustics has the opposite problem, which is that they removed LFO smoothing from String Studio when they released v3, and broke many of their own patches, so I've been begging them to introduce a smoothing option as a compromise, but I digress — anyway, a smoothed LFO makes pitch modulation kind of "blurry," so if there were perhaps a global option to turn off LFO smoothing, that'd be cool.)

3. It'd be awesome to be able to assign parameters to channel/poly aftertouch via MIDI Learn. Logic and other DAWs can remap one MIDI CC or other parameter to any other, but it would be nice to have a more robust native solution.

Deleted

Was there ever any Facebook info about phonec3?

I recall it was mentioned on Facebook (and a short video of testing the work in progress), just before Echomelt 3 was released. But, I haven’t seen much more in terms of info, or estimated release date, etc.

Return to “Psychic Modulation”