Martin? There are *still* people like myself that play around with VAZ in late 2018!

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know that it's an extreme longshot; but if you ever would consider 64 bit -

Maybe I could send you a Christmas ham, or something like that - or would Governor Scrooge force you to pay VAT even on a dead pig?

Doesn't it still run on 64bit? What is the advantage?

I still use it. Love it.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I haven’t used it in years, but I must admit it was a blow when I saw that he stopped developing it and blamed VAT laws. Everyone else seemed to just adjust and move on. His stuff was also a bit ridiculously priced, which probably slowed adoption down. I personally am always amazed at how great software is and I gladly paid his $299 price, but in hindsight, if he’d priced it in line with Zebra 2 and updated the Windows 95 look a bit, he’d be too busy collecting money for new licenses to worry about VAT.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

VAT was a minor thing, the main reason is that the codebase is extremely dated (all done in 32-bit Delphi with most of DSP code done in raw assembler).

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:15 pm VAT was a minor thing
not what he said at the time

It might be cool if he made it open source like Surge.

sraymar wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:13 am It might be cool if he made it open source like Surge.
Based on what EvilDragon just mentioned, I guess you would have to re-write everything anyway, so what good would releasing it as open source do then?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:34 am
sraymar wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:13 am It might be cool if he made it open source like Surge.
Based on what EvilDragon just mentioned, I guess you would have to re-write everything anyway, so what good would releasing it as open source do then?
It's a good design and it could be 64 bit with a newer look and features. The thing is that it wasn't as popular as Surge or Synth1 so maybe it wouldn't take off after getting a makeover, hard to say. These days there are a ton of amazing vsts complete with a ton of presets.

sraymar wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:20 am
starflakeprj wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:34 am
It's a good design and it could be 64 bit with a newer look and features. The thing is that it wasn't as popular as Surge or Synth1 so maybe it wouldn't take off after getting a makeover, hard to say. These days there are a ton of amazing vsts complete with a ton of presets.
It wasn’t popular because it was very expensive compared to its competitors. I think it was about $300. The UI is also ugly as hell, though I really like the way modulation is assigned. I imagine if he’d done a total reskin to bring it to modern standards of the mid 00s and cut the price to $200 he would have been a top seller.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I wish I could get a working copy of this.. I love the sound of vaz from all the demos I have heard!

zerocrossing wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:47 am It wasn’t popular because it was very expensive compared to its competitors.
Which competitors? VazMod existed from a time when there were barely any fully modular plugins. It was cheaper than Reaktor, and the same as Tassman, just about its only competitors.

By the time any other -fully- modular alternatives turned up, VazMod was £130.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I paid under $200 for mine and got many updates that always included more patches. The very elaborate Chaotic Quarks and Chaotic Totem patches by Tim Conrardy were interesting and looked cool with all their different colored modules.

Still use it, and looove it
Has allways been my goto plugin (Vaz 2010) when i need ana sounds.
Not much beat it for that
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Return to “VAZ Synths”