Vast Dynamics Vaporizer2: why isn't it more popular?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vaporizer2

in the spirit of KVR, topics with same question, but for another product. i want to be part of the community! i want to belong!

4 wavetable oscillators, a sample player (with a granular mode), fully MPE capable. extensive routing, extensive modulation. great FX (3 effect busses!). all can be routed freely. o i am repeating.
extensive wavetable editor.
more and more.

all the features are shown on the KVR product page, and on the website.

for a price! tempting! lifetime updates!

https://www.vast-dynamics.com/

So why isn't it more popular? :hihi:

Frankly, I'm ingtrigued. I like the accessible price point and the fact that it does 4-op FM. Must give it a try.

I have it, it's a great little synth, but I mostly only use the wavetable editor, there's something about the filter architecture that annoys me.

But it's absolutely worth every penny for me, the dev is also very responsive to bug reports and feature requests.

That's a good question.

It's probably one of the most fully featured WT synths available.

My guess is it being from a small, independent dev, with a somewhat bland UI, and a fairly baseline set of filters.

Is it a very good synth at a great price, and deserving of much more attention? Absolutely.

The top announcement on the home being about last years sale does not inspire confidence

crickey13 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:52 pm So why isn't it more popular? :hihi:

Frankly, I'm ingtrigued. I like the accessible price point and the fact that it does 4-op FM. Must give it a try.
try it! if i am correct the FM possibilities will be extended.

the full possibilities are on this page:

https://www.vast-dynamics.com/?q=Vaporizer2
rj0 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:49 am That's a good question.

It's probably one of the most fully featured WT synths available.

My guess is it being from a small, independent dev, with a somewhat bland UI, and a fairly baseline set of filters.

Is it a very good synth at a great price, and deserving of much more attention? Absolutely.
it is indeed made by an independent developer, but loaded with features, 30+ filters, did i mention the routing possibilities? route how you want... and 3 independent FX busses, with gain staging...
but you know it, you use it.
pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:36 am The top announcement on the home being about last years sale does not inspire confidence
i agree, the website is always behind, but isn't The Mangle, for instance, abandoned, although you can still buy it..

the version at this moment is 3.14.

there is a demo, of course. worth a try. it has also a standalone version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WasteLand wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:56 am

I'm probably gonna buy it at some point, just not right away. If it basically allows 4 operator FM synthesis and wavetable synthesis all at the same time, then it's something relatively few synths have and the prospect of expanding its FM capabilities makes it all the more exciting. The company might not have the glitz and luster that bigger devs have, but honestly, it packs a punch all the same. I'm just surprised the project hasn't gotten much traction, the synth is actually pretty powerful and deserves more attention.

crickey13 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:43 am

I'm probably gonna buy it at some point, just not right away. If it basically allows 4 operator FM synthesis and wavetable synthesis all at the same time, then it's something relatively few synths have and the prospect of expanding its FM capabilities makes it all the more exciting. The company might not have the glitz and luster that bigger devs have, but honestly, it packs a punch all the same. I'm just surprised the project hasn't gotten much traction, the synth is actually pretty powerful and deserves more attention.
i fully agree.

if you demo or own Vaporizer2 you see what it can do. it has indeed not the luster of the big devs, the company, but the instrument has.. it indeed deserves more attention, as powerfull as it is now, and their is more to come, as i already stated. but it will take some time.

(o well Cypher 2, the transmod bug is almost fixed, after 2 years?? or more... also great synth, by the way..)

i stepped into Vaporizer2 a year ago, i see now, it looks longer. why? great program, after i bought it, many improvements, many. in features, etc. and when i bought it was already, powerfull.
but now...

the FM capabilities, was a FR, from my side, i mean; more routing capbilities. and i know, it will be implemented (or quite sure), but i also know it will take some time (i am repeating, that is my signature...)

but the instrument as it now stands, is already a fully feature loaded beast.

the sound quality of the synth is perfect. all is done for perfect sound. but you can make it roar!

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada/restoration

pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:36 am The top announcement on the home being about last years sale does not inspire confidence
i agree, the website is always behind, but isn't The Mangle, for instance, abandoned, although you can still buy it.
Just cause The Mangle is worse doesn't make this look any better... anyway, I listened to a few sound examples and didn't hear anything that caught my ear. I've got enough wavetable synths... and some which sound better to me. I'll pass, but thanks for the heads-up.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:59 pm
i agree, the website is always behind, but isn't The Mangle, for instance, abandoned, although you can still buy it.
Just cause The Mangle is worse doesn't make this look any better... anyway, I listened to a few sound examples and didn't hear anything that caught my ear. I've got enough wavetable synths... and some which sound better to me. I'll pass, but thanks for the heads-up.
the wavetable synth arena is crowded. i managed to collect also quite a number, without really looking for wavetable synths.. (in contrast for what i did for granular, and additive synths.. and still do..).

i like Pigments 2 and Vital for their own character for instance. not specially because they can do wavetables... [edit;] or Massive X or even Waves Codex..

(i bought The Mangle, even it was abandoned... on a sidenote, i wanted to have them all, of course i don't have them all.. but still..)

fill your slots and let's roll!

WasteLand wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:15 pm
the wavetable synth arena is crowded. i managed to collect also quite a number, without really looking for wavetable synths.. (in contrast for what i did for granular, and additive synths.. and still do..).

i like Pigments 2 and Vital for their own character for instance. not specially because they can do wavetables... [edit;] or Massive X or even Waves Codex..

(i bought The Mangle, even it was abandoned... on a sidenote, i wanted to have them all, of course i don't have them all.. but still..)

fill your slots and let's roll!
I have and use Hive, Icarus and Vital... Bitwig also has wavetable capability which I use too.

I like the GUI of Pigments. Maybe I'll buy it someday. No hurry as I have all the synths I need.

Yeah, you're definitely well covered as far as wavetable synths are concerned, pdxindy. No reason to get another one if you don't feel the need.

The reason why I find Vaporizer interesting is because it features 4 oscillators with the ability to do 4-op linear FM, something I don't think I've come across in a wavetable synth before, it's usually some kind of 2-op hybrid affair like in Synthmaster or Icarus, really simple and stripped down.

It's too bad Vaporizer doesn't allow wavetable effects and linear FM at the same time (linear FM counts as another wavetable effect and takes up the osc mod slot), which is a pity, but I guess you can't have everything, can you. Then there is granular stuff as well, which is a nice little bonus.

The sound in the demos is a little on the thin side, but honestly, I've got so many big-sounding synths that hearing a thin sounding one for a change almost comes as a relief. It sounds thin and digital, but somehow in a positive way. Admittedly not very characterful, but I'm sure you can dial in the character that you want, so that's not a problem for me.

The GUI and architecture is weird and fugly.
Features are awesome

I had to get it also because it is MPE compatible. That already let it win over some big names like Massive (X)... No idea why its not much discussed. I guess its such a secret weapon that those who love it don’t want to share...
Or simply because its bug free? Or those who produce music with it are in such a flow, that they forget to post raves about it on KVR...
Maybe it has so many bugs that you stop using it and even didn’t bother to report and then simply forgot about it... (my case...; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:22 am Maybe it has so many bugs that you stop using it and even didn’t bother to report and then simply forgot about it... (my case...; - )
So you're saying it is or used to be buggy?

Return to “Instruments”