Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

It isn't just the one outage, the natives are restless and it seems like a constant ask over there to lose the dongle system.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:19 am It isn't just the one outage, the natives are restless and it seems like a constant ask over there to lose the dongle system.
Off-topic, but welcome back Jan

dellboy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:59 pm So how does this new method help an international music producer who needs to access Cubase wherever they are in the world ?
The other solution for this is to use Elements while travelling.

OscSync wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:21 am
dellboy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:59 pm So how does this new method help an international music producer who needs to access Cubase wherever they are in the world ?
How would that work? You can't move a soft eLicenser license from one computer to another.

That's why eLicenser sucks. With iLok, you have at least a few activations for most plugins

chk071 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:32 am
OscSync wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:21 am
How would that work? You can't move a soft eLicenser license from one computer to another.

That's why eLicenser sucks. With iLok, you have at least a few activations for most plugins
You don’t need a dongle for Elements so you use that while on the road then use the ‘Import Track From Project’ feature to import it back into Pro when you’re back in the studio.

Dellboy talked about an "international music producer" who doesn't take his computer/laptop with him. How is he supposed to activate his Cubase Elements license on the computer he's using on the road?

Apart from that, that use case is a bit fabricated anyway. That international music producer won't only be using his DAW, but also his plugins. And he has to activate those to be able to use them. Sylenth1, for example, allows for two activations, so, if our music producer already has activated it on two computers, before he travels, he needs to deactivate one license to be able to activate it on the computer he uses on the road. And there's only ten times that he can deactivate and activate it, I think. Same with other plugins. If he uses iLok plugins, for example, he has 1 or two activations per plugin.

Bit of a hassle compared to just taking his laptop with him...

Oh, and, what I forgot in my former posts is that that music producer can activate Studio One, for example, from every computer he wants to. If he deactivates one license, if he already has it activated on two computers. Same with most other DAW's, probably. It's really no big argument for a dongle.

KYes wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:06 am Call me old fashioned but solving the issue of a license server outage by introducing a cp scheme that requires checking its license periodically doesn't seem the smartest idea to me.
exactly. The last time their server was down for over a week only affected people who had to activate a licence. With the new scheme it will affect everybody.

Why are people overcomplicating this?
Computer 1) Studio use with a dongle
Computer 2) Travel laptop with Elements

Who takes their main computer travelling anyway? That’s just asking for trouble.

OscSync wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:46 am Why are people overcomplicating this?
That's what I would do.

It requires to have 2 licenses though, and, in a discussion about the eLicenser system, which requires something like that, that's quite an argument against eLicenser, once again.

chk071 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:48 am
OscSync wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:46 am Why are people overcomplicating this?
That's what I would do.

It requires to have 2 licenses though, and, in a discussion about the eLicenser system, which requires something like that, that's quite an argument against eLicenser, once again.
Yes true but Elements costs peanuts and money well invested to ensure the dongle stays safely at home.

Also given today’s technology one can sync both computers to ensure the project files and samples etc are perfectly, er synced.

thanks for kindness, guys

chk071 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:43 am Dellboy talked about an "international music producer" who doesn't take his computer/laptop with him. How is he supposed to activate his Cubase Elements license on the computer he's using on the road?
most 'international music producers' use cracked everything.
they've all passed me by... whizzing to the top of of the charts.
Meffy, i'm just telling it how it is.
I'm the odd one out everywhere i go, i'm scared to meet my heroes anymore, because...

so many of them are drug f**ked crack fiends.

BTW what does Steinberg mean with "windows needs you to go online every 39 days" ? I don't even have an internet connection at the studio since I went to windows 10 as my old USB Wlan has no win10 drivers....and my Windows stays activated.

On the Steinberg forum the main complaint about the dongle is from people who travel about and either forget to take their dongle with them or lose it.

My mention of two activations was not about the old elicencer one activation system which is now obsolete. The new system that they are going to implement will have two activations.

dellboy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:18 pm ....The new system that they are going to implement will have two activations.
Link to your source?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”