Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

btfnk wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 pm Anyone else have issues with the next preset > button? Using J8 in Ableton 10 and when I press the next button Ableton completely locks up and I have to force quit. I had this happen on earlier versions then 1.3.9 fixed it, now it's back broken again in 1.4
I don't have such problem in Live 11 nor Bitwig Studio 3.3.4 if that helps.

to be honest, I always had issues next and previous buttons, using the VST3 version. Ableton 10 on Mac OS Catalina (10.15.7)

Ahh that might be it. It's possible I was using a different plugin type. I have VST, VST3 and AU all enabled in Ableton. Thanks for the tip. I'll check on that.

1.4.0 released.
On a number of Macs

zvenx wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:47 pm Ahhh.. That does make sense. let me test that.
Thanks
rsp

edit: yep. that is what it seems to do indeed.
thanks
rsp

After speaking with Patrick I had it wrong.
Firstly I wrongly assumed Panel enabled needs Midi Learn enabled to function.

But Indeed All Panel does is that when Enabled, it makes whatever MidiLearn was created for that patch (it is per patch), apply to whichever the active/visible Panel is currently selected.

So for instance, it seems like the Default patch was set with Midi CC 21 set to Upper Panel Cut off Frequency and CC 22 to Upper Panel Resonance.

If one switches to Lower Panel, these midi cc do not change the lower panel cut off frequency or resonance, unless, one selects the Panel Button then it does.

Hope that makes sense.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:35 pm But Indeed All Panel does is that when Enabled, it makes whatever MidiLearn was created for that patch (it is per patch), apply to whichever the active/visible Panel is currently selected.
Oh ok, that's what I assumed it did. Just took the current learn assignments and applied to whichever panel was active. Sort of like how your Jupiter-8 had two "panels" but only one set of physical controls.

I do wish, as an aside, that all his products had Global MIDI learn. But that's what the lock is for I guess. Still, it trips me up every now and then. I have to save a default preset with the MIDI learn assignment I want, then remember to enable the MIDI lock.

Maybe the feature request I want is a Global "MIDI Lock" preference added to the menu. This way, I can keep the lock on permanently.

100% with you on that one too.
(I also would love the same for a SC too)
All optional of course.
rsp
sound sculptist

Version 1.4.1
Skips presets when using arrow buttons in some hosts fixed.
Minor bug fixes.
UI refresh.

BTW, it seems that all the TAL plugins that use the arrow button (all of them?) were update to fix the skip presets in some hosts :)

Does tal-mod? Didnt see an update for that one yet.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:25 pm Does tal-mod? Didnt see an update for that one yet.
rsp
not yet - maybe it doesn't have the bug or he is still updating :) But I have seen the fix for Uno LX and Bassline-101

Indeed and there was a tal sampler update I downloaded yesterday.
Rsp
sound sculptist

The changelog for J-8 also mentions a "UI refresh." I don't see any changes to the main controls, but some of the other buttons are now drawn differently, and the ones that are actually popup menus now have little arrows on the side.

I've attached a quick screenshot for comparison.
j8sidebyside.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate signatures too.

Looks like a different color in the background

dermage wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:58 pm Looks like a different color in the background
Ah, you're right. I noticed the slight color differences and bolder lines on some of the widgets, but chalked it up to image compression and display DPI differences. Now that I've actually installed 1.4.1, I can see that all the graphics are slightly different. Should be a little more readable on low-DPI displays.
I hate signatures too.

Return to “Instruments”