Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Sorry, Win 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.867 everything 64 bit.

I just tried and it happens in FL Studio as well. Just left click where it says Init when you load Surge. If I mouse over one of the categories It will show the contents:

Surge 032521-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Goddamn, looks like MS broke the multi-column API in 20H2. Works just fine here in W10 2004 on my desktop, but on my Surface Pro 4 which has 20H2 I see exactly what you do.

Guess we'll make it an option. Sucks balls, but until we move to JUCE (this summer), it's probably the only thing we can do...

Thanks Microsoft..... :hihi:

Oh well at least you figured out what's going on. My studio computer is still running 2004 so the beta should run fine on it but I think I'll just wait for a final release. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

OR... it could be a VSTGUI issue for one reason or another. Jury's out on that one. :)

We do know that multi-column menus work with JUCE just fine. And not Windows-only, but on all three platforms. Because JUCE is awesome. And it will make Surge even more awesome once we are ported to it. That day cannot come soon enough, if you ask me. :D

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:22 am Goddamn, looks like MS broke the multi-column API in 20H2. Works just fine here in W10 2004...

Guess we'll make it an option. Sucks balls, but until we move to JUCE (this summer), it's probably the only thing we can do...
Since you're working on the menu already, could you move the user patches to the top? At least on my Manjaro install, I need to scroll a lot to get to the bottom with the current version.

Since I use my own patches the most (or copy my favorites to a new folder), it makes a lot of sense to have them at the top for me.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sorry, no, factory patches take priority. Feel free to remove them yourself though.

I don't want to remove them since I use them for inspiration. I guess I could move them somewhere else and move them back when I want to look at them, but that's just not practical.

But I guess for people who don't make there own patches, the current order is better.

Correct. You can just move the factory patches in a subfolder in user data folder if you find them in the way.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:47 am Correct. You can just move the factory patches in a subfolder in user data folder if you find them in the way.
Oh, I didn't understand that correctly. That's actually a decent workaround. Thanks.

Held wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 am
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:47 am Correct. You can just move the factory patches in a subfolder in user data folder if you find them in the way.
Oh, I didn't understand that correctly. That's actually a decent workaround. Thanks.
We have a check that surge needs at least some factory patches to be found otherwise it thinks it is mis-installed. So perhaps leave templates in factory if you do this

next version will have a better patch navigator we hope. See evil's comments about juce above...

baconpaul wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:16 am We have a check that surge needs at least some factory patches to be found otherwise it thinks it is mis-installed. So perhaps leave templates in factory if you do this
That explains it. Thanks for letting me know.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:46 pm Sorry, Win 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.867 everything 64 bit.

I just tried and it happens in FL Studio as well. Just left click where it says Init when you load Surge. If I mouse over one of the categories It will show the contents:
Hey, Tek!

Just to let you know, it was our issue (well, more precisely, MY issue, since I wrote some of that code!) in the end. Thanks to magnanimous help from KvR user lkfj in this thread, we have the issue sorted out, and next nightly (in an hour or so) will have the fix.

As you can read in that thread, the issue was that menu was incorrectly being split if no user presets were present. Well, we hardened those checks and now all is right with the world. At least on Windows. Because Mac and Linux don't have these multi-column menus! At least until we move to JUCE. :)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:10 pm Just to let you know, it was our issue (well, more precisely, MY issue, since I wrote some of that code!) in the end. Thanks to manganimous help from KvR user lkfj in this thread, we have the issue sorted out, and next nightly (in an hour or so) will have the fix.
Cool! I'll look forward to the nightly. Glad you got it sorted. :tu:

Just bumping this thread: The development work for 1.9 is basically done at this point. 4 new oscillators, 16 new FX, lots of other stuff. We plan a release in April, but would really appreciate Surge users grabbing the current nightly and doing a beta test if so inclined. Testing before the release is a good way of finding bugs before the release!

Nightly change log, which is mostly up to date, is here. https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/nightlychangelog

Thanks!

I'll give the nightly beta a go. :tu:

Here's the download link for convenience:

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/nightly

Return to “Instruments”