Arturia V Collection 8 official thread

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
12833 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:43 pm

planetearth wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:30 pm
Arturia explained the higher prices when upgrading from older versions last year. In the past, you could be two versions "behind" and still upgrade to the latest version for $99, if you caught the sale. They changed that late last year, because they felt they were offering a lot more than their competitors in the V Complete bundle, and people who upgraded with each version were bearing the brunt of the cost.

So while Arturia may have another sale this summer, there's no reason to expect V Collection 6 owners to be able to upgrade for less than $249 -- which is what they've been charging for the upgrade since VC8 came out (though I certainly hope we can). And when VC9 comes out, that $249 may rise to $299, if Arturia decides to revisit their upgrade pricing. With a year of "upgrade" data collected, they may see that enough people are still upgrading, and may decide to keep the price...or raise it $50. Then again, they (hopefully) will see some of us found it to be a bit too steep, and maybe they'll drop it by $50 (or $150!).

Steve
They can say what they like, but I also remember when they tried to infer that they would never offer the upgrade to V6 for $99, oh and look what happened.

Their policies do not change my calculus. I purchased 3,4, and 6, and I'll upgrade to the next version as soon as the upgrade price / number of new synths that I actually want <= price that I'm willing to pay per Arturia synth that I want. The only synth that I want out of V7/V8 is the new Jup8v, and it's not a must have.

Frankly, they'd sell more to people like by offering occasional fire sales on individual synths.

User avatar
KVRian
1398 posts since 21 Sep, 2007 from USA

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:47 pm

elxsound wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:54 am
I'm looking at the Microfreak as an option ... I wish they left off the keys and I would have purchased that one already.
I wish Arturia would release those keys as a new MIDI controller; I would purchase that. They could call it the "Controlfreak".
[Intel Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Studio One 5 Pro; FL Studio 20.8; RapidComposer; Sundog Song Studio; Orb Composer/Producer; Pizzicato; Odesi | FL Studio ASIO (WASAPI) | Win10 x64]

User avatar
KVRAF
1977 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:24 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:43 pm
planetearth wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:30 pm
Arturia explained the higher prices when upgrading from older versions last year. In the past, you could be two versions "behind" and still upgrade to the latest version for $99, if you caught the sale. They changed that late last year, because they felt they were offering a lot more than their competitors in the V Complete bundle, and people who upgraded with each version were bearing the brunt of the cost.

So while Arturia may have another sale this summer, there's no reason to expect V Collection 6 owners to be able to upgrade for less than $249 -- which is what they've been charging for the upgrade since VC8 came out (though I certainly hope we can). And when VC9 comes out, that $249 may rise to $299, if Arturia decides to revisit their upgrade pricing. With a year of "upgrade" data collected, they may see that enough people are still upgrading, and may decide to keep the price...or raise it $50. Then again, they (hopefully) will see some of us found it to be a bit too steep, and maybe they'll drop it by $50 (or $150!).

Steve
They can say what they like, but I also remember when they tried to infer that they would never offer the upgrade to V6 for $99, oh and look what happened.

Their policies do not change my calculus. I purchased 3,4, and 6, and I'll upgrade to the next version as soon as the upgrade price / number of new synths that I actually want <= price that I'm willing to pay per Arturia synth that I want. The only synth that I want out of V7/V8 is the new Jup8v, and it's not a must have.

Frankly, they'd sell more to people like by offering occasional fire sales on individual synths.
Same here, as far as the next V Collection goes. And to be fair, they kind of did offer a "fire sale" on the Jup-8V in February, which brought it down to $29. But they didn't really do a very good job of announcing it to Arturia customers who didn't already have V8, so we didn't know about the sale.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators. (I'm looking for collaborators even if you don't hear something you like. I guess I just won't be hearing from you. :wink:)

KVRAF
12833 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:34 pm

planetearth wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:24 pm
Same here, as far as the next V Collection goes. And to be fair, they kind of did offer a "fire sale" on the Jup-8V in February, which brought it down to $29. But they didn't really do a very good job of announcing it to Arturia customers who didn't already have V8, so we didn't know about the sale.

Steve
Well, tnx for that. I went looking for some sale email, and you're right, there wasn't one to be found. However, when I logged into my account to check to see if they were offering any discount on individual synth upgrades, Jup8v was listed at $29. So, we're done and done.

FYI: It was the only synth from the V7/8 being offered to me at a discount.

We'll have to see what they come out with in V9. Since I now I have the only synth that I had much interest in from the current crop, it's unlikely that I will bite even if they do offer V8 at $99.

User avatar
KVRAF
6791 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:23 pm

tonedef71 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:47 pm
elxsound wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:54 am
I'm looking at the Microfreak as an option ... I wish they left off the keys and I would have purchased that one already.
I wish Arturia would release those keys as a new MIDI controller; I would purchase that. They could call it the "Controlfreak".
I think that would have been the smarter option.. Sell them both separately. They probably could have made more money this way

User avatar
KVRAF
1977 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:34 pm
planetearth wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:24 pm
Same here, as far as the next V Collection goes. And to be fair, they kind of did offer a "fire sale" on the Jup-8V in February, which brought it down to $29. But they didn't really do a very good job of announcing it to Arturia customers who didn't already have V8, so we didn't know about the sale.

Steve
Well, tnx for that. I went looking for some sale email, and you're right, there wasn't one to be found. However, when I logged into my account to check to see if they were offering any discount on individual synth upgrades, Jup8v was listed at $29. So, we're done and done.

FYI: It was the only synth from the V7/8 being offered to me at a discount.

We'll have to see what they come out with in V9. Since I now I have the only synth that I had much interest in from the current crop, it's unlikely that I will bite even if they do offer V8 at $99.
Glad you were still able to grab the "new and improved!" Jup-8V.

I'd get VC8 for $99 if it goes that low. I honestly don't expect it to go below $149, however; and I might even grab it at that price. The Emulator II, Jup-6, and OB-Xa look like fun, and if I understand correctly from my recent interactions with Arturia's support, you get PatchWorks with VC8. And of course, we VC6 owners would get everything in VC7 with the VC8 upgrade. Besides, with the upgrade to Stage-73, I might actually use it.

As far as Jup-8V being the only synth offered to you at a discount, aside from Stage-73 V2, it's the only synth they were offering at a discount. I think this is because these two are "upgrades" to existing versions. (You may recall they did this with Piano V2 when it came out.) The others in VC8 are new, so they're are at full price.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators. (I'm looking for collaborators even if you don't hear something you like. I guess I just won't be hearing from you. :wink:)

KVRAF
12833 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:14 pm

planetearth wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 pm
I'd get VC8 for $99 if it goes that low. I honestly don't expect it to go below $149, however; and I might even grab it at that price.
I've just become super picky about what I will install. Installing software is the hardware equivalent of rewiring your studio. All time spent mucking around with that and learning where you were is time taken away from making music.
The Emulator II, Jup-6, and OB-Xa look like fun, and if I understand correctly from my recent interactions with Arturia's support, you get PatchWorks with VC8. And of course, we VC6 owners would get everything in VC7 with the VC8 upgrade. Besides, with the upgrade to Stage-73, I might actually use it.
I know it's blasphemy, but I hate Jump and while I think that there's nothing wrong with CEM based polys, the OBXA was irritatingly limited and because people have a hardon for authentic emulations, they all suck.

The Jun 6 doesn't do anything for me that I can do with Uhe synths so I don't care. Again, I don't really like limited analog polys to begin with. I have some affinity for the real thing.

I also never got excited about eight bit samplers. I think the CMI nails everything that I care about in the genre of vintage sampler.

Only the EMS has any appeal, but I hate pin modular programming, so there we are!
As far as Jup-8V being the only synth offered to you at a discount, aside from Stage-73 V2, it's the only synth they were offering at a discount. I think this is because these two are "upgrades" to existing versions. (You may recall they did this with Piano V2 when it came out.) The others in VC8 are new, so they're are at full price.
Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember that. The thing about the Jup 8v4 is that the changes are really in alignment with some ways that I like to improvise, so, not only is it interesting to me, it doesn't really replace Jup 8 v3. I admit that I'm partial to the sound of Artuira's Jup8 emulation. It's the one synth that I tolerated the weak modeling on the old (going back to v2) version because I liked aspects of its sound. Much the same way people like aliasing in Sound Toys Decapatitor.

So, in that sense, it's one of only a few Arturia synths that I'd pay for a minimal upgrade on.

I haven't even installed their organs and pianos, I don't use them. I like that ASC allows me to pick and choose the synths from each release that I want to install.

KVRist
175 posts since 4 Jun, 2020 from USA

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:32 pm

I’ve upgraded from 7 to 8, and it seems that there is still no way to directly enter a knob or slider value. Am I missing something?

KVRer
5 posts since 3 May, 2016

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:19 pm

I just want to say that I love Arturia collection. Thanks for the great sound!

User avatar
KVRAF
1892 posts since 16 May, 2004 from Soviet Union

Post Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:17 pm

Wanted to say, just, today 200 bucks it's not the same as, say, in 2010-2014 years (at least in my country), this is increased more than twice since (to our currency). So, 200 (turned into 400) for me it's rather adequate price for whole daw, or bundle from scratch, but as upgrade it's impossible.

KVRAF
5726 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:09 pm

Chrisk-K wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:32 pm
I’ve upgraded from 7 to 8, and it seems that there is still no way to directly enter a knob or slider value. Am I missing something?
AFAIK there is no way to do that.

KVRian
741 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:26 pm

I got 4 and upgraded to 5. I wasn't interested enough in the synths that came after that to upgrade further.
That's the catch with a collection - yes, if you skip some upgrades, you'll get a lot more when you do upgrade,
but you might be paying for a lot of stuff you don't really want.
I'd rather see them update and improve the stuff they've already got out.
I can't think of too many synths they could introduce that would make it a 'gotta have' for me.

KVRist
175 posts since 4 Jun, 2020 from USA

Post Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:56 pm

I upgraded from 7 to 8 for $199. I wanted the Juno-6, new Jupiter-8 and OB-Xa models, all of which are impressive. The Emulator and Vocoder models are surprisingly good. Compared with the Roland Cloud Juno-60 ($149) that I had been considering, the upgrade was worthwhile for me.

KVRist
284 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:24 am

< :x>
OMG WHEN WILL ARTURIA STOP CLUTTERING MY DESKTOP WITH EVERY SYNTH UPDATE
</ :x>

It's annoying. Please Arturia, make it optional
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, ANA, GForce, Reaper

KVRAF
7408 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:52 am

Dencheg wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:24 am
< :x>
OMG WHEN WILL ARTURIA STOP CLUTTERING MY DESKTOP WITH EVERY SYNTH UPDATE
</ :x>

It's annoying. Please Arturia, make it optional
+1 Never use stand alone and don't want 27 new icons on my desktop.
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Drum Machines + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

Return to “Instruments”