CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The wow and flutter are just right but finding the right speed and how much depth to add is hard. If you can make the setting so the 3.75, 7.5, 15, 30 ips tape speeds are linked to the rate and depth. Along with that the wow and flutter could linked setting to make it more reel to real.

Hi All!

I've spent a bit of time the past couple months working on a few updates for ChowTape. There's a bunch of new features (including several that were proposed in this thread!), but here's a few highlights:
- Added support for Apple Silicon.
- Added Azimuth parameter for playhead loss controls.
- Added Variance and Drift parameters for Wow control.
- Fixed stability issue in tone filters.
- Created installer packages for Windows/Mac.

The full list of changes can be found in the Changelog. If you'd like to try out these changes before they're officially released, you can download the latest "nightly" builds from our new website! As always, if you notice any bugs feel free to report them here or on GitHub (GitHub is preferred). I haven't had a chance to update the user manual yet, so definitely let me know if you have any questions about the newer features.

I've also tried compiling ChowTape for iOS, as an AUv3 plugin. If you like, you can download a "TestFlight" build here. I've had some fun using the plugin on iPad, but I'm not sure how well the UI will scale for the iPhone.

Thanks!
Jatin

This is awesome news!! Will definitely try the latest nightly build on my M1 Mac Mini.

Cheers!
bM
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Azimuth, yay! I'm happy you're still updating and developing, awesome - thanks so much!

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Damn that azimuth control is amazing, adds a little extra magic. The tape emulation controls in general feel very polished now. Not that I've ever used a tape machine before, but this gets at the tape vibes I imagine in my head better than anything else I've tried.

Can you please upload the nightly builds as a dll ( just like on github )or vst3 file and not just an install file ?
Also , the nightly build shows version 2.7.5 and not 2.8
Cheers , keep up the amazing work :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I just tried installing the vst3 version and it does not show up , I have encountered this with other plugins and the reason was because of a microsoft windows c++ redistributable version that is missing
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Glad folks are enjoying the update!
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:57 pm Can you please upload the nightly builds as a dll ( just like on github )or vst3 file and not just an install file ?
Also , the nightly build shows version 2.7.5 and not 2.8
Yes, I've uploaded Windows builds to GitHub (Mac builds to follow soon...): https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... Plugin/Bin.

The version number is currently 2.7.5 because I would like the version that I actually release to be 2.8.0. Unfortunately, the Mac App Store doesn't let you upload two builds with the same version number, meaning every time I make a change I have to change the version number. I figured I could either do 2.7.x up until I'm ready to release, or start and 2.8.0, and end up releasing 2.8.x. Neither option is ideal, but for now I'm going with the first one.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:13 pm I just tried installing the vst3 version and it does not show up , I have encountered this with other plugins and the reason was because of a microsoft windows c++ redistributable version that is missing
I haven't run into this issue before, but I'll try to investigate it further. Thanks for reporting!

@Jatin:

Thanks for this nice tape plugin. 8)

Just a minor thing, but I'm a bit curious. :wink: Why does your TC-260 preset run at 15 ips when the original machine can't run at that speed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:43 am Just a minor thing, but I'm a bit curious. :wink: Why does your TC-260 preset run at 15 ips when the original machine can't run at that speed?
Haha, that was almost certainly a typo on my part. Not sure if I should try to fix it at this point though, for fear of breaking existing patches.

I was just wondering if the preset @15 ips sounds closer to the TC-260 than @ 3.75 and 7.5 ips. As long as the preset @ 3.75 and 7.5 ips sounds like the TC-260 at the same speeds, then I wouldn't bother.

Thanks again for the plugin. It sounds different than the other tape plugins I have. One of the things I like about it, is that it attenuates the sustain after the transients which can be useful.

Hi all,

Glad folks are enjoying the beta! I've made a few more updates which can be tried out, again by downloading the latest nightly build. The main change for the desktop plugin is that I've made the STN hysteresis mode much faster. On my machine, the CPU usage with STN mode is almost 2x better than before! Previously, I would usually use the RK2 mode for monitoring, and then change it to NR8 for exporting my mix, but I think I'll probably start using the STN mode for monitoring since I think it sounds a little better than RK2.
Lotuz2019 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:16 am I was just wondering if the preset @15 ips sounds closer to the TC-260 than @ 3.75 and 7.5 ips. As long as the preset @ 3.75 and 7.5 ips sounds like the TC-260 at the same speeds, then I wouldn't bother.
Yes, going back over how I made that preset, all of the relevant parameters were measured from my TC-260 directly, so as you said, at 3.75 the plugin should sound just like the TC-260 at the same speed. I haven't done an A/B comparison with the TC-260 since the early days of working on the plugin, so I should probably do another one soon, but my TC-260 is currently broken (again). I have done A/B's with other tape machines more recently, it's just been a while since I compared with the TC-260, and it would be cool to go back to it since that's what got me started on this project in the first place :).

Hi all,

ChowTape version 2.8.0 is officially released now! Thanks to all the folks here for testing, and giving useful feedback. You can download/install the latest version at these links:
Desktop: https://chowdsp.com/products.html#tape
iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chowtapem ... 1557806564

Thanks,
Jatin

Congratulations for the release!
There are some great additions in there.

Return to “Effects”