One Synth Challenge #146: Sinmad by NUSofting (Double Tap Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Updated info:
###
On windows 7 64-bit you need this update:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30679
Select Language and click Download.
###
On Windows 10 20H2 the synth must be installed in:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2

bh9090 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm I'm perplexed. DLL in the correct spot. DAWS set up to that location. Rescanned directories (many times). Same across all DAWS. Obviously something unique to my system, but I'm out of ideas.
So I installed Windows 10 20H2 and at first Cubase refused to load Sinmad DLL,
but after installing (moving the "Sinmad" folder) in one of its default path
Sinmad loaded perfectly. I hope it will work the same for all you Windows 10 20H2 users.

Sinmad is working just fine in my old laptop, Windows 10 - 20H2, installed in:

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins

:wink:

Edit: DAW: Cakewalk by BandLab.

L-EctroBit wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:30 pm Sinmad is working just fine in my old laptop, Windows 10 - 20H2, installed in:

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins

:wink:

Edit: DAW: Cakewalk by BandLab.
Yes, probably it's just enough to stay inside C:\Program Files\ where the DLL are allowed by 20H2 (my guess so far)

It installed/scanned fine in windows 8.1 64-bit with Cakewalk and Reaper.
I avoid installing exe's on my win 7 because of me not knowing what's being installed and where. I want it as clean as possible.
Maybe someone else can test and confirm if the runtime files linked can fix win 7 problem.

Wow! First impressions: I love this synth

Well, trying to actually record something I into a problem: on pressing stop REAPER crashes every time. 'run as separate process' helps. Really warmed up to the sound of this synth, though . Nice work, liqih ! Thanks for generously giving away licenses too, much appreciated ! I'll be sure to submit a track.

Had a quick play with sinmad yesterday, interesting sounds indeed. Are the wave 1 FM settings on the scope editable? I couldn't find a way to edit them but that would be cool if you could.

I too had the audio stop working in Ableton 11 on windows 10. Deleting the plugin and reloading a new one fixed the issue turning the vst on and off didn't.

Sometimes the filter cutoff knob produced clicking artifacts other times it was fine might be a single wave form that produced that I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Also some of the presets had the main (gain) turned right down so produced no sound but that wasn't the same issue with the audio stopping.

If anyone else is mad enough to try this on linux :x I've got it running with wine emulation using linvst, also works with carla. wine won't find the custom font hidden in the vst's folder so you'd have to move it to .local/share/fonts or /usr/local/share/fonts
Synth makes a great impression so far, good luck everybody and have fun! :tu:

liqih wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:26 pm
bh9090 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm I'm perplexed. DLL in the correct spot. DAWS set up to that location. Rescanned directories (many times). Same across all DAWS. Obviously something unique to my system, but I'm out of ideas.
So I installed Windows 10 20H2 and at first Cubase refused to load Sinmad DLL,
but after installing (moving the "Sinmad" folder) in one of its default path
Sinmad loaded perfectly. I hope it will work the same for all you Windows 10 20H2 users.
I tried the folders above and same result. Not found or "Not a valid plugin". Here are some details:
* Windows 10 20H2 v19042.906
* Tried both initial DLL and the new nag-free one. Downloaded multiple times.
* DAWS: Live 11.0.2, Cubase Pro 11.0.10, Reaper 6.26
* No apparent problems with any other plugins on the system. U-he, NI, TAL, freeware stuff, etc.

I may swap out my PC for old mac, it seems okay on MacOS. Gotta keep the streak alive!

Kind of weird this synth is ... From time to time the engine thinks it should degenerte a sound into nirwana and after a while it resets and the sound is "as intended" again. Happend on two sounds ... the others where just fine ... hm ... any way it produces some nice sounds. In contrast to some other reports, I've had no problem with it in latest Windows 10. I copied the whole folder into C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 and Bitwig did the rest.

Now I have here the Lucy (emvoice), Cello Chamber Orchestra and Sinmad Electro Combo Mix of "Fly with me" ... Enjoy: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/fly- ... mKmYX1MBMl

About 50% of sound from scratch. Used some presets because I grow lazy of fiddling for hours to get some sounds... if something suitable is already there. For a Submission I will do a Lucy-less version ... later.

BTW: If you like EMVoice and Lucy ... Check out my release here (no, this is not Sinmad): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9QwpYFJWU

Heya liqih, I've also had this happen, in the latest Bitwig:
MilksterX wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:50 amI too had the audio stop working
... however I tracked down a bit more information on an instance that suddenly went silent: I was using MONO mode, when I switched to POLY mode, the first voice was silent (e.g. when I pressed a single key) but the SECOND and third and other voices were working properly! (e.g. pressing 2 notes simultaneously or when a second voice is active due to release time). Changing presets back/forth still resulted in the first voice being silent but the others working properly. I tried adjusting every parameter to see if something might help reset a value somewhere, but it did not. Also, in my case, the synth stopped making sound while I was adjusting the wave 1 FM ratio in the GUI and playing notes. I'm pretty sure the first time it happened I was mucking about with the GUI and also playing notes on an external keyboard in a similar way. Knowing just a bit about plugin development, I suspect one of 2 things is happening: a voice index is going negative so the "first" voice is unable to actually map to a voice location -or- some bad value is being copied to the active voice that the synth is unable to recover from (or, of course, I could be all wet :ud:). Anyway, cheers, hope this helps in some way!

Many thanks for the tests, I will search for the bug.
z.prime wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:43 pm Heya liqih, I've also had this happen, in the latest Bitwig:
MilksterX wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:50 amI too had the audio stop working
... however I tracked down a bit more information on an instance that suddenly went silent: I was using MONO mode, when I switched to POLY mode, the first voice was silent (e.g. when I pressed a single key) but the SECOND and third and other voices were working properly! (e.g. pressing 2 notes simultaneously or when a second voice is active due to release time). Changing presets back/forth still resulted in the first voice being silent but the others working properly. I tried adjusting every parameter to see if something might help reset a value somewhere, but it did not. Also, in my case, the synth stopped making sound while I was adjusting the wave 1 FM ratio in the GUI and playing notes. I'm pretty sure the first time it happened I was mucking about with the GUI and also playing notes on an external keyboard in a similar way. Knowing just a bit about plugin development, I suspect one of 2 things is happening: a voice index is going negative so the "first" voice is unable to actually map to a voice location -or- some bad value is being copied to the active voice that the synth is unable to recover from (or, of course, I could be all wet :ud:). Anyway, cheers, hope this helps in some way!

For all Mac users on Catalina and later:
the file Sinmad_OSC.zip now includes a macOS installer, signed and notarized.
Please ask Richard for the new link on just replace the file name in the old URL, <wink>

... VST-Version is not been recognized in StudioOne5 and not in PlougeBidule (latest Version). AU-Version works fine in Logic X and StudioOne5 ...

Good luck to all and quite and healthy easterdays!

Return to “Instruments”