Native Instruments - Native Access not working (fresh install)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help, I've just installed new drives in my pc and had to start from scratch with everything. I've download and installed the latest "Native Access 1.13.3 Setup PC.exe" and it doesn't allow me to login, the screen pops up, I enter my login details and pressing the login button does nothing.

I've uninstalled, re-installed, uninstalled rebooted, re-installed, ensured that I am running as admin, disabled firewall and anti-virus protection, nothing works.

When I exit the program though, it doesn't really exit it remains in the task list in task manager and if I try to run it again it either tells me its already running or it runs add another instance of itself to the list but doesn't show it's interface this time. I have to end task each of them and run the program again to see it again.

I can login on the website fine...

I've put a support ticket into NI, but no reply...

I've googled and found others with the same problem from back in 2019 and there are links to the NI forums but the support staff links are all dead. So the thread explains the issue, there's some talk and then the support staff give a link, which I assume is the solution and they are all dead links (not very helpful).

Does anyone know where I can download an older version of native access or something?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:48 pm Could try this:

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... g-Systems-
Sadly I'm on a PC there are only MAC download links there :(

Ah, apologies.

Can you check out if there are any firewall rules present for Native Access (Windows Security > Firewall & network protection > Advanced settings, then check Inbound and Outbound Rules), and if there are, remove them?

I have Bitdefender installed which has its own firewall, I've got windows firewall disabled and everything in bitdefender disabled also. There are no entries for anything native access on the windows firewall out/in but bitdefender does have an entry in it's firewall to allow it.

If I use the NI uninstall tool I can get to the progress bar but it stays at 0% searching for the latest updates, sometimes when I crash that I can get to the login screen but then the login button doesn't work.

I'm installing visual studio, see if I can get a debugger running on the NI process and see what the actual **** it's doing... Although this is 16GB download, and my best speeds are 2.5 to 2.9mb per second. So will take a few hours...

I bet you have 2+ monitors right? Disable all but one temporarily, then run native access because it won't run if you have more than 1 display. It's a 'bug' that's been known for about 4 years now, but NI have no interest in fixing.

I do have a 2nd monitor but it's not turned on... Let me rip out the display port, reboot and see if it works...

Got to wait copying a massive file over to another HD... Will let you know..

I have 2 monitors here. And NI Access runs (even though it's been installed when I only had one). On Windows (10x64 Pro).

- Mario

Well F**** me...

Shut down my machine, yanked out the 2nd display port cable from the back of my machine, rebooted and it started straight up and logged me in...

I changed my Visual Studio download preferences and got it down to 3gb which had already installed by the time the file copy had done...

So it was either or both of them things...

For future people having this problem and find this via googling in the future:

First:
Make sure you only got 1 monitor plugged in, reboot and try again.

And if it still doesn't work:
Visit: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/
Download, run, will give you install options, tick at least the c++ box and install. This will install some of the .NET runtimes and libraries which native access might require to work.
Then once installed give native access a go again...

It also works after I plugged the cable back in and rebooted.

Being a developer myself, that's just some real bad programming and testing / QA from the guys at native instruments, and even worse that these problems have existed for years...
Last edited by MegaPixel on Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weird, I also have 2 displays but it works just fine...

(BTW I'm unsure how far you'd get with debugger without .pdb symbols file on Win...)

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:50 pm Weird, I also have 2 displays but it works just fine...

(BTW I'm unsure how far you'd get with debugger without .pdb symbols file on Win...)
I had 2 displays installed and running when I first installed it when I bought kontakt 12, it didn't have an issue then...

RE: The debugger I'm not sure either, but if it got stuck on a jpz or jp command or something I could have tried a hack and reversed it to see if it would work doing that, could be some check condition that fails.

NikkiA wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:56 pm I bet you have 2+ monitors right? Disable all but one temporarily, then run native access because it won't run if you have more than 1 display. It's a 'bug' that's been known for about 4 years now, but NI have no interest in fixing.
Thanks for that, you got me back on track :)

MegaPixel wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:44 pm Well F**** me...

Shut down my machine, yanked out the 2nd display port cable from the back of my machine, rebooted and it started straight up and logged me in...

I changed my Visual Studio download preferences and got it down to 3gb which had already installed by the time the file copy had done...

So it was either or both of them things...
Try to plug in the other display again, to see if that messes things up.

I doubt it, TBH. Pretty sure this has another reason. Might just have been a task which hasn't been closed properly, after Native Access crashed on the first startup, or something similar.

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:18 pm Try to plug in the other display again, to see if that messes things up.

I doubt it, TBH. Pretty sure this has another reason. Might just have been a task which hasn't been closed properly, after Native Access crashed on the first startup, or something similar.

RE: Try plug in the other display
Already have and added to my previous message.

RE: Pretty sure it had to be another reason
I actually did some googling and found a youtube video of someone doing exactly the same, he showed it not working, then unplugged his 2nd monitor, ran native access and it worked.

RE: Might have been a task which hadn't closed correctly
I had uninstalled it, re-installed it at least 10 times, rebooted nearly each time, used the ni un-installer, edited registry entries myself etc. Nothing helped.

I did notice the NI Uninstaller error with references to .NET in some of the error log, but it performed the uninstall none the less. This is how I got back to the "looking for updates" screen which never got off 0% even when left alone for 1 hour.

What do I think it was
I think it was the combination of doing both, unplugging the monitor and having Visual Studio install all the .NET libraries and c++ packages etc.

Conclusion
Having people have these problems with the installer for 4+ years and not fixing them, is just really poor development, testing and QA from NI imo.

Well... obviously, it's not as easy as that, if other people can plug in two monitors, and don't have the same issues.

Also, I wouldn't know what some .NET libraries or C++ packages from Visual Studio would have to do with it. If then, Native Access installs the stuff it needs when you install it.

As I said, I'm pretty sure that the issue is of a different nature.

Return to “Instruments”