Your thoughts on Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Geist Geist2

Geist 2 was a nightmare when I first used it, in particular problems with the GUI.
I don't have any now that I have sorted that out. However, I still find version 1 easier to use with no probs. at all. I just think that version 2 seems a bit bloated like they were trying to cram too much into the same size space. I hope they continue to develop it. It still is a lot better than most of its competitors.

Sea wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:30 am You’d think ROLI wouldn’t drop it but hopefully improve it. I don’t know why FXpansion sold out. Perhaps their sales were down.
That would seem the most logical step. But who know what goes on behind the scenes. :(

I'm thinking about taking a punt on Rob Pappen's Punch 2 (30% off at the moment). Doesn't look quite so fast as Geist but it still looks pretty cool and can do quite a lot.

I like Geist but right now I would just avoid buying into it right now due to the uncertainties around Fxpansion and Roli. Given the issues I have had with Equator2 installation (eventually got it to install - not entirely sure how - now can't get it to update to version 2.1 and just sent in a support ticket today) I would avoid that, too. Honestly until we get some sort of reassuring response from Roli and Fxpansion that they are not going belly up and have got all their ducks in a row I would avoid them. That is just me, though, and I am invested pretty heavily in Fxpansion products. I got my years of use out of the licenses except Equator2, though I am still really peeved that Tremor and Bloom got discontinued (posted previously on this). Who knows why they got cut; lack of staff, lack of anyone knowing the code base, not fitting with Roli's MPE thing (so what if they are still great tools and people want to buy and use them), political fighting over rights, who knows. It is all speculation and I have wasted too much of my brain's CPU time on it already. There are plenty of other great plugins.

Cypher2 and Strobe2 have had incremental updates recently and a new public beta for some next update for those two plus Geist 2 was just announced. So that is a little reassuring... for products I can update and use with no issues now. Good. Incidentally if nobody has looked, the updater from Roli Connect for Cypher2 and Strobe2 just launches and runs the Fxpansion license manager thing, which always worked fine for me.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 am Cypher2 and Strobe2 have had incremental updates recently and a new public beta for some next update for those two plus Geist 2 was just announced. So that is a little reassuring... for products I can update and use with no issues now. Good. Incidentally if nobody has looked, the updater from Roli Connect for Cypher2 and Strobe2 just launches and runs the Fxpansion license manager thing, which always worked fine for me.
Where is the announcement about new updates? The official (new) Roli forum is almost empty and found no trace of other announcements around... also checked the FXPansion FB page but it seems only a sale showcase.

- Mario

My thoughts are bring back Devine Machine & update it to the version 2 Devine Machine users were asking for before fxpansion stepped in & made it Guru
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

vertibration wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:44 pm Its not really dead, it had a recent update I believe.
Well if you call jan 2020 as recent then yes but otherwise no.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

mabian wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:40 am
Gribs wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 am Cypher2 and Strobe2 have had incremental updates recently and a new public beta for some next update for those two plus Geist 2 was just announced. So that is a little reassuring... for products I can update and use with no issues now. Good. Incidentally if nobody has looked, the updater from Roli Connect for Cypher2 and Strobe2 just launches and runs the Fxpansion license manager thing, which always worked fine for me.
Where is the announcement about new updates? The official (new) Roli forum is almost empty and found no trace of other announcements around... also checked the FXPansion FB page but it seems only a sale showcase.

- Mario
They appeared in the Roli Connect app.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:17 pm
mabian wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:40 am

- Mario
They appeared in the Roli Connect app.
Thanks.

This is from another post in KVR Forum by Angus @ FXpansion:
Angus_FX wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:02 pm Last maintenance update to Geist2 was within a year or so. It's being looked at, but the next one may be a while off - am not able to say more than that at the moment, sorry.
- Mario

mabian wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 pm This is from another post in KVR Forum by Angus @ FXpansion:
Angus_FX wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:02 pm Last maintenance update to Geist2 was within a year or so. It's being looked at, but the next one may be a while off - am not able to say more than that at the moment, sorry.
Yeah, that doesn't sound very promising. Especially considering you'd expect if they're going to continue support for Geist that they'd announce they're working on M1 support, or teasing a new version. Does it even work via Rosetta 2?

Oh well. Geist: works for now!

What's the next closest thing? Maschine? Which requires hardware? You'd almost think NI would want to get in the game and separate the Maschine hardware and software to maximize profits. I'm not the kind of artist who'd buy Maschine nor am I looking for any hardware (let alone have space for more gear) but if Maschine software were being sold that worked like Geist, I'd be all in for that.

I really like Geist 2, nothing out there nails its feature set. It is a shame, as I do think Roli should move forward with a drum solution to their line up. Who knows.......

Geist 1 had a more pleasant interface i think.

BrokenTrance wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:52 pm Geist 1 had a more pleasant interface i think.
Absolutely, no doubt. I loved the Geist 1 interface. It was fast, and efficient. Geist 2 was just a bit all over the place for me with the UI

The Geist 2 interface has been more sluggish for me, overall, than the Geist 1 interface. Maybe it is because of the resizable nature of it?

They have tried to cram too much into it. This is why Geist 1 is still preferable and a joy to use.
Except, and this goes for both versions, it's really frustrating when trying to work with automation, in particular for me re Ableton Live. I found it too exhausting to figure out so don't bother anymore. Only enough hours in the day. It's still good for pattern making which is what I use it for these days.

vertibration wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 pm
BrokenTrance wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:52 pm Geist 1 had a more pleasant interface i think.
Absolutely, no doubt. I loved the Geist 1 interface. It was fast, and efficient. Geist 2 was just a bit all over the place for me with the UI
Wholeheartedly agreed, much easier and pleasant on the eyes, more compact, convenient to work with. I understand Retina or HiDPI users won't be able to concur :)

- Mario

Return to “Instruments”