E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRAF
1941 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:34 pm

auron wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:07 am
planetearth wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:13 am
auron wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 pm
Oh my, yesterday my old EMU1820m did a loud noise like you would hear a radio turned on and no channel selected. Then i openend the breakout box and saw that all the soldering is completely messed up, like a little river going here and there. Some of you guys have any idea, how to solve this mess?
If something basically exploded inside your 1820m and got it hot enough to melt the solder, you can't fix the 1820m. The only way to "solve" this issue is to replace the interface.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but if "all the soldering is completely messed up, like a little river going here and there", then you really can't fix it. And if the solder really did melt, you can be sure some of the components burned up, too. :(

Steve
Oh no, i did a photo of the opened up device , that soldering is not too bad maybe? see the attached pics....
Due to the glare, it's difficult to make anything out in the photos, but what I can make out in the soldering doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary.

Considering you said that the interface "did a loud noise like you would hear a radio turned on and no channel selected", I don't think what's on the soldering joints is the issue. It appears that's been there for some time. You can clean the PCB, but my guess is a capacitor finally died. The ones near the power supply usually fail first. Look for bulging and/or scorch marks on the tops, sides, bottoms, or even underneath.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm always looking for collaborators....

KVRist
123 posts since 4 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:34 am

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-03 at 10.29.23.jpeg
Hey Steve, thanks for your answer ! I did another photo and yes , at least one capacitor is bulge! Looks like i have to buy a soldering station :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Glad you found it so quickly! You should replace all the similar caps as long as you're going through with it. The rest would fail soon, anyway.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm always looking for collaborators....

KVRist

Post Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Ok Steve, seems like getting the right capacitors and replacing them is sort of an adventure and could fail. What do you think , is it worth the hassle or get a new interface (like focusrite 1818i etc.)?

KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:10 pm

auron wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:16 pm
Ok Steve, seems like getting the right capacitors and replacing them is sort of an adventure and could fail. What do you think , is it worth the hassle or get a new interface (like focusrite 1818i etc.)?
It's not too difficult to do -- I did it on my own 1820m for less than $10 in capacitors and shipping (plus another $25 for a soldering kit). That said, mine didn't exhibit the same problem yours did right before it failed. With yours, there might be more to the problem than just the capacitors.

The Focusrite 18i8 is a nice interface (and Focusrite's bonus of giving away some decent software every 6-8 weeks is a nice treat!), but do you really need that many inputs and outputs?

Steve

KVRist

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:05 pm

No i dont need so much inputs/outputs actually . So an audient or focusrite around 180 bucks should do it. Anyway thanks for your opinion.

KVRAF

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm

auron wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:05 pm
No i dont need so much inputs/outputs actually . So an audient or focusrite around 180 bucks should do it. Anyway thanks for your opinion.
Good luck!

Steve

KVRer

Topic Starter

8 posts since 29 Jul, 2019 from Nottinghamshire, England

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:02 am

Hello all.

First of all thank you for the kind words. I'm glad we're all continuing to use our EMU audio interfaces far beyond their official OS compatibility. Maybe one day Creative will update us with a driver package that just contains the steps we have here, but I doubt it.

I just wanted to offer a few basic practices to keep your systems clean, fresh and working perfectly, especially when Windows 10 updates can ruin our EMU audio interface...
  1. Pause Windows Updates for the entire 35 days so you can update manually when not in a critical working period.
  2. Clean install Windows 10 (not as an update) via a USB stick at least once a year, or at your own convenience when a new Windows 10 version is released. This will keep your system running smoothly. Remember to backup your files stored on this drive first.
  3. Keep all non-OS/program files on a separate drive away from the Windows OS drive (C:). Not only will this improve performance, but it will also help if there is a failure on the OS drive.
  4. Backup any non-OS/program drive regularly, preferably after completing a project. If possible, run these drives in a RAID 1 array so if one drive fails you can replace it without losing data.
If this is any help to you at all, please leave a like.
:wink:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”