One Synth Challenge #146: Sinmad by NUSofting (Double Tap Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

doctorbob wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:27 am Hi @liqih ... Reaper user too - if the patch works out will you release it to all?
Yes, when I have the Mac update as well, so far I sent the link by PM to you and ElVincente.

Thanks everybody.

So it seems that *so far* the setup as : Sinmad VST + Reaper + Windows 7, needs the plugin settings as reported by ELEX:
"No problems when loaded to 'run as...> separate process', though." Otherwise crashes can occur.

Not my entry, for obvious reasons, but I had to get it out of my system:

https://soundcloud.com/taptapdoubletap/ ... mad-banner

Double Tap wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm Not my entry, for obvious reasons, but I had to get it out of my system:

This synth needs a good old fashioned exorcism ...

Liqih
I found another small bug. If the LFO is assigned to the BR hz and you try and alter the BR gain, frequency or BW there might be a visible fight between the UI and the LFOs depths current value and you might get a loud bang or popping sound from adjusting the BR frequency on the EQ to quickly.

Would be cool if you could see the BR notch moving with the LFO assigned. I guess it needs to disable the LFOs effect on the frequency value temporarily if the BR Frequency is adjusted. It would be great if there could be LFO sync implemented in future though.

Loving it so far though keep up the great work.

--
Last edited by yplugins on Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

MilksterX wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 pm Liqih
I found another small bug. If the LFO is assigned to the BR hz and you try and alter the BR gain, frequency or BW there might be a visible fight between the UI and the LFOs depths current value and you might get a loud bang or popping sound from adjusting the BR frequency on the EQ to quickly.

Would be cool if you could see the BR notch moving with the LFO assigned. I guess it needs to disable the LFOs effect on the frequency value temporarily if the BR Frequency is adjusted. It would be great if there could be LFO sync implemented in future though.

Loving it so far though keep up the great work.
Yes to all you wrote. I have to avoid that BW vs LFO conflict.

...duplicate...

Sinmad beta update
0.9.7 Mac with installer, 0.9.7b Windows no installer.

The bugs fixed:

- Sound could mutes (crash) when using Wave 1 FM.
- Overload of CPU after release, in some PCs.
- Display of parameter "duo" not recalled correctly.
- Possible wrong value of the two stages switch on GUI.
- Crash on render in latest Reaper DAW.

Notes:
- Many included presets are still too loud and may not load correctly.
- Windows 7 still needs the microsoft redistributable update.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30679

Sinmad beta download link is the same you used last or please ask
Richard.

Thanks everybody for the remarkable betatesting.

liqih wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:03 pm
FrogsInPants wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:08 pm I'm experiencing some inconsistency in the delay matrix. It seems to be skipped for some notes when the previous note is still sounding. I can reproduce this from a clean start by setting a short pulse envelope, with a release that's not too short, and setting a delay of 100ms or so. Played slowly, each note plays with the delay. With two notes played in quick succession, the first plays with the delay and the second does not.
Does that change with different "glide/smooth"knob values?
No, it doesn't seem to. The primary factor seems to be the amp envelope release. Here's a simple patch and audio demo showing the issue.
Delay-test.zip
In the audio demo, I start with a short release time, and gradually increase it. At first you hear the delay with every note, then every other note, then less frequently. I tried varying the range, speed, and smooth parameters with the release set just above or below the cutoff between sounding the delay every note and every other note, to no effect.
After saving a patch, if I close the window before the save confirmation is removed, Reaper crashes. (Reaper 6.26, MacOS 10.13)
I will check that in MacOS 10.14.
I don't think the last update was supposed to fix this, but just to be clear, it's still present.
Yes distance is 2D, because you can change the value faster or slower. Usually you click on the
value box to lock in and then move mouse around (any direction) to find the desired value.
Honestly I'm not sure yet if this works with any mouse or track pad. Please try some more and let me know if it would usable for you.
Is one axis supposed to make coarse adjustments and the other fine? It seems as though it's more sensitive to vertical movement than horizontal. The problem I have with responding to both horizontal and vertical movement is that it makes adjustments more erratic. As I move the mouse up, slight movements left or right make the value change more or less in unintended ways. It's more pronounced if I'm making horizontal adjustments, where if I'm moving right a slight downward drift could make the value change not at all. Knowing this, it appears possible to tune the sensitivity of adjustments over quite a range by modifying the slope of the movement, but it's far from intuitive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

] Peter:H [ wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm
Double Tap wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm Not my entry, for obvious reasons, but I had to get it out of my system:

This synth needs a good old fashioned exorcism ...
Hahaha... it was meant to sound a bit like Hendrix but my wife reckons it's closer to a recorder with a fuzz box, so I need to work a bit harder on my sound design skills.

I'm really taken with a synth that even allows you to create feedback though - or guitar-like feedback rather than microphone squeal, that is.

liqih wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:48 pm Sinmad beta update
0.9.7 Mac with installer, 0.9.7b Windows no installer.

The bugs fixed:

[...]

Thanks everybody for the remarkable betatesting.
I have tried the new version with my submission track. Seems the volumes of some patches have changed now... weird. The track needs a rebalance with that version!? Could this be more alpha testing?

Hi FIP,

so one at time:

1) Delay-test.zip : I listened to your mp3, made a MIDI track 120 BPM with same note repeated every 1/4 the accelerating to 1/16, used you patch and varied release from min to max, but the delay is always there. You can hear it when the rate of note match almost the delay time.
With higher feedback and input to full (switch not half colored) it's easy to hear it.
So I couldn't reproduce missing delays.

2) "After saving a patch, if I close the window before the save confirmation is removed, Reaper crashes". Thanks I forgot to try that on Mac, in Windows doesn't' happen, I will try now on my Mac.

3) value box: I will try again this on Mac, I feel it works good in Windows but it's a little offset to right, see picture
dragging_the_value_box.png
FrogsInPants wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:14 pm
liqih wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:03 pm
FrogsInPants wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:08 pm I'm experiencing some inconsistency in the delay matrix. It seems to be skipped for some notes when the previous note is still sounding. I can reproduce this from a clean start by setting a short pulse envelope, with a release that's not too short, and setting a delay of 100ms or so. Played slowly, each note plays with the delay. With two notes played in quick succession, the first plays with the delay and the second does not.
Does that change with different "glide/smooth"knob values?
No, it doesn't seem to. The primary factor seems to be the amp envelope release. Here's a simple patch and audio demo showing the issue.

Delay-test.zip

In the audio demo, I start with a short release time, and gradually increase it. At first you hear the delay with every note, then every other note, then less frequently. I tried varying the range, speed, and smooth parameters with the release set just above or below the cutoff between sounding the delay every note and every other note, to no effect.
After saving a patch, if I close the window before the save confirmation is removed, Reaper crashes. (Reaper 6.26, MacOS 10.13)
I will check that in MacOS 10.14.
I don't think the last update was supposed to fix this, but just to be clear, it's still present.
Yes distance is 2D, because you can change the value faster or slower. Usually you click on the
value box to lock in and then move mouse around (any direction) to find the desired value.
Honestly I'm not sure yet if this works with any mouse or track pad. Please try some more and let me know if it would usable for you.
Is one axis supposed to make coarse adjustments and the other fine? It seems as though it's more sensitive to vertical movement than horizontal. The problem I have with responding to both horizontal and vertical movement is that it makes adjustments more erratic. As I move the mouse up, slight movements left or right make the value change more or less in unintended ways. It's more pronounced if I'm making horizontal adjustments, where if I'm moving right a slight downward drift could make the value change not at all. Knowing this, it appears possible to tune the sensitivity of adjustments over quite a range by modifying the slope of the movement, but it's far from intuitive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:59 pm I have tried the new version with my submission track. Seems the volumes of some patches have changed now... weird. The track needs a rebalance with that version!? Could this be more alpha testing?
Only Wave "1" FM could have had a little gain change, not anywhere else, could you share a patch that sounded different before 0.9.7 ? Thanks.

liqih wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:38 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:59 pm I have tried the new version with my submission track. Seems the volumes of some patches have changed now... weird. The track needs a rebalance with that version!? Could this be more alpha testing?
Only Wave "1" FM could have had a little gain change, not anywhere else, could you share a patch that sounded different before 0.9.7 ? Thanks.
Cello Patch from the Presets. Only minimaly tweaked it so that it's basically still the preset. It's gotten louder in 0.97.

Return to “Instruments”