Copy AT MW and PB in FL Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok I'm having a senior moment or I've had a stroke this morning but for the life of me I can't remember how to copy aftertouch, pitch bend, and mod wheel data from one generator to another in FL Studio.

Say I've recorded a lead line using for example Dune 3 and I've used AT PB and MW. Now I want to copy that performance over to Hive to layer the lead line and thicken it up.

How does one do that as it appears even in version 20 only the Note On/Off and Velocity information is copied over when doing a copy/paste.

What the heck am I missing or forgotten and please call a doctor........... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would just use a MIDI Out and route it to multiple generators if you need to layer stuff. Or use an automation clip.

i think you may want the "clone channel" command ;
right click menu on any channel in the channel rack ...

use copy / paste to import the note data ...
if you want a different vsti , change it afterwards ...

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:08 pm I would just use a MIDI Out and route it to multiple generators if you need to layer stuff. Or use an automation clip.
No that won't work. Sometimes I don't know I want to layer something or what synth I want to use for layering until afterwards.

It shouldn't require an automation clip to use common performance data like AT, PB, or MW.

If you copy the data from the Piano Roll it will copy the Note On/Off data and Velocity but not the other performance data like AT. In fact if you Cut the data from one Pattern to another it leaves the AT data behind. Apparently it must be manually deleted unless I'm missing something obvious.
experimental.crow wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 pm i think you may want the "clone channel" command ;
right click menu on any channel in the channel rack ...
use copy / paste to import the note data ...
if you want a different vsti , change it afterwards ...
I don't want to clone the channel I want to copy/paste the performance including AT,PB, and MW data not just Note On/Off and Velocity.

It appears FL Studio still doesn't consider AT,PB, and MW as part of the performance just as Note On/Off and Velocity are and if that's still the case in version 20 I'm somewhat stunned since I first brought this up in 2017.

I've been recording a lot of lead lines lately and the ability to apply AT to Vibrato is essential. It's just a matter of being able to copy that data to another generator without having to faff about in the Browser. :?

Again unless I'm missing something obvious. Either I am or FL is.....

Anyway thanks for the help guys I think it's just a matter of FL still not handling performance data correctly.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It´s sadly a bit cumbersome in FL Studio as it regards Modwheel etc... as automation controls which are unique for each generator... and they don´t get copied over if you copy the midi data...

First copy the midi data to the new instrument...

Now what you have to do with the modwheel as example...

Let´s say you have a modwheel movement recorded for Synth A which you want to copy to Synth B...

The shortest way (but still long):

Open in the PR editor the Modwheel for Synth A you want to copy over on the bottom in the control section...
Go into the menu > Edit > Turn into automation clip

Open the GUI of Synth B and move the Modwheel...
Go in the menu bar of FLS to "Tools" > Last tweaked (should be the Modwheel of Synth B) > Link to controller

In the upcoming window in the middle section "Internal controller" choose the automation clip from Synth A in the dropdown list...
Hit "accept"...

Repeat these steps for the other parameters if there are any...

If you don´t want to go with automation clips you have to go the even longer way... :hihi: :

Open the GUI of Synth A and open the wrapper menu with the little triangle on the top left...
Choose "Browse Parameters" and search for the Modwheel in the list...

Right click the entry in the browser and say "Edit events"...
This should open the event editor...
Select all data and hit CTRL+C to copy it...

Open the GUI of Synth B and do the same steps...
When you´ve got the event editor open for the ModWheel of Synth B hit CTRL+V to paste...

Now the ModWheel modulation should work for Synth B as well...
And these steps you have to do for every parameter you want to copy over...

It´s nevertheless a pita for such a simple task... this is due to the fact that Gol always refused to accept midi and build his own system... and now we have it... :tu:

If somebody knows a better way feel free to correct me please...

Sadly because of the crazy crap in fl studio I'd just turn them as automation clips using the free melda tool with all the knobs and route it to dune
And this is one major reason I quit using fl studio. So much work for something so simple

People complain about reason's daw... It's vastly superior to fl studio in that image line hasn't made a qol improvement in the daw and only in plugins in years.

Don't EVEN get me started on how fl studio handles swing on an individual track.... :evil:

MuzikFreq wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:09 am Sadly because of the crazy crap in fl studio I'd just turn them as automation clips using the free melda tool with all the knobs and route it to dune
And this is one major reason I quit using fl studio. So much work for something so simple

People complain about reason's daw... It's vastly superior to fl studio in that image line hasn't made a qol improvement in the daw and only in plugins in years.

Don't EVEN get me started on how fl studio handles swing on an individual track.... :evil:
It vastly depends on your needs...

Yes...there are tons of things more complicated to achieve...
But there are tons of things more complicated to achieve in other DAWs which is just one or 2 clicks in FLS...
Simple example: In most DAWs it´s impossible or at least very cumbersome to control an unlimited number of parameters with a single automation clip or lane... it´s 3 clicks in FL Studio...
It´s Piano roll editor is still unreached and no other DAW can compete just a tiny bit with it...

It is different and was always meant to be different...
If you need standard DAW features...use a standard DAW and live with it´s limitations...
If you need what FLS offers...use FLS and live with it´s limitations...

That easy...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”