Softube Lil FrEq & Mike-E Comp

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I've been shitting on these two in my head every time I see the price tags for them, but recently I gave them a spin and I'm finding it hard to talk myself OUT of buying them. are there any cheaper alternatives or plugins that measure up? I just find them really easy to dial in and to get the Lil frEq is great for tone shaping. I was also considering the Bx SSL 9000 J for eq purposes

any thoughts?

If you purchase the complete bundle (two native plugins, one Console One plugin) - when the iLock license is installed for the bundle, there are 5 extra license slots for future products in the bundle. Given the intro bundle cost of $304 (using the additional discount code), the intro cost per plugin now is about $150 each (I don't have Console One, so only two in the bundle I care about). If over time that expands to another five plugins, that really reduces the cost per plugin. Softube did this with the Weiss plugins -- adding products to the bundle over many months. I don't know for sure, but hope Softube plans the same approach with this bundle. So yes, the initial cost of the bundle at $304 is a lot. But if you consider how great these plugins sound, and divide that cost over 7 plugins in coming months (or 8 plugins if you use Console One), then the cost-per-plugin is reasonable for what you get. One perspective... others may view it differently.

I got the collection for roughly about $250 at Plugin Boutique. Somebody on gearslutz posted a coupon he used over seas and it worked here in the US.
You could probably find it on the forum.

emasters wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:59 pm If you purchase the complete bundle (two native plugins, one Console One plugin) - when the iLock license is installed for the bundle, there are 5 extra license slots for future products in the bundle. Given the intro bundle cost of $304 (using the additional discount code), the intro cost per plugin now is about $150 each (I don't have Console One, so only two in the bundle I care about). If over time that expands to another five plugins, that really reduces the cost per plugin. Softube did this with the Weiss plugins -- adding products to the bundle over many months. I don't know for sure, but hope Softube plans the same approach with this bundle. So yes, the initial cost of the bundle at $304 is a lot. But if you consider how great these plugins sound, and divide that cost over 7 plugins in coming months (or 8 plugins if you use Console One), then the cost-per-plugin is reasonable for what you get. One perspective... others may view it differently.
Good point, I didn't know that's what Softube did with those designer bundles

dblock wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:58 pm I got the collection for roughly about $250 at Plugin Boutique. Somebody on gearslutz posted a coupon he used over seas and it worked here in the US.
Can you recall which forum or thread you found the coupon from?

omzzz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:16 am
dblock wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:58 pm I got the collection for roughly about $250 at Plugin Boutique. Somebody on gearslutz posted a coupon he used over seas and it worked here in the US.
Can you recall which forum or thread you found the coupon from?
Somebody posted it on Gearsltz "Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership", release four new products" thread somewhere between page 7 and 11 I think.

Cheers! tried the code and it doesn't work anymore :(
apparently it was an error on plugin boutiques end. wish I knew bout it sooner lol. Nice for you tho!

omzzz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:05 am Cheers! tried the code and it doesn't work anymore :(
apparently it was an error on plugin boutiques end. wish I knew bout it sooner lol. Nice for you tho!
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I luckily ran into that coupon totally by accident. I was only at Gearslutz to get opinions on the plugins and just happened to see the guys post.

dblock wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:15 am
omzzz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:05 am Cheers! tried the code and it doesn't work anymore :(
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I luckily ran into that coupon totally by accident. I was only at Gearslutz to get opinions on the plugins and just happened to see the guys post.
Happens haha. How do you like the plugins so far? how do they compare to your other eq & compressors?

omzzz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:21 am
Happens haha. How do you like the plugins so far? how do they compare to your other eq & compressors?
I felt the eq was so good and intuitive it replaced my Acoustica Audio Pink on the master bus. Definitely an in your face eq. The clarity was fantastic to my ears. I was blown away and that's hard to do with all the eq plugins I have.
The compressor had the same in your face Big sounding character. Blows away my Arouser. Can't replace my Unisum compressor on the master though. Too heavy or I have totally figured it out yet. Using it for parallel bus,kick drum and drum bus right now.
Very impressed to say the least.

dblock wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 am
omzzz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:21 am
I felt the eq sounded so good and so intuitive to use that it replaced my Acoustica Audio Pink on the master bus. Definitely an in your face eq. The clarity was fantastic to my ears. I was blown away and that's hard to do with all the eq plugins I have.
The compressor had the same in your face Big sounding character. Blows away my Arouser. Can't replace my Unisum compressor on the master though. Too heavy or I have totally figured it out yet. Using it for parallel bus,kick drum and drum bus right now.
Very impressed to say the least.

Softube pulled the code from PB a few hours after that Gearslut posted it.
You got lucky if you bought it in that window :)

yeah, I barely made it. I bought it within minutes of seeing the post. I didn't think it would work.

omzzz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:10 am So I've been shitting on these two in my head every time I see the price tags for them, but recently I gave them a spin and I'm finding it hard to talk myself OUT of buying them. are there any cheaper alternatives or plugins that measure up? I just find them really easy to dial in and to get the Lil frEq is great for tone shaping. I was also considering the Bx SSL 9000 J for eq purposes

any thoughts?
I was looking for a Distressor emulation and I found SKNote's Disto-S. Tried it out a few years back. It was very fun and very easy to get results with; the autolevel features speed up gainstaging . Im also a Soundtoys user and it really makes me think of Devil-loc Deluxe but with more controls. I think its worth the $50.

Also, for being a Console 1 user, I just absolutely dont feel much enthusiasm for any of the Console 1 expansions. The default SSL4000E just gives me great results.

theviirus wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:14 am I was looking for a Distressor emulation and I found SKNote's Disto-S. Tried it out a few years back. It was very fun and very easy to get results with; the autolevel features speed up gainstaging . Im also a Soundtoys user and it really makes me think of Devil-loc Deluxe but with more controls. I think its worth the $50.

Also, for being a Console 1 user, I just absolutely dont feel much enthusiasm for any of the Console 1 expansions. The default SSL4000E just gives me great results.
Hey mate, are you liking the Disto-S so far? I'm looking for a Distressor like plugin, but don't know nothing about Sknote (just what I see in foruns, which is normally a hate / love relationship), but I can't afford the one from Softube or UAD right now, maybe in a mid-term future.
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

Return to “Effects”