Changin from win10 to win 7

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wpostma wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:13 am WIndows 7 is getting creakier and harder to defend all the time.

And yet Windows 10 has shit features like “Can Not Actually Turn off realtime scanning, you can just pause it for a while” and “Can not turn updates off indefinitely, or prevent updates from bricking your machine”.

Actual fact: Both are trash. Get a mac.
I don't really get the logic of that response. Surely the OP is aware of mac computers existence and would've purchased such a device if desired. I doubt someone that's looking to roll back to an older OS version is looking to pay Apple computer prices, let alone, learn an entirely new OS and the frustration that can bring.

There's plenty of video documented issues with Apple's various products. Anything from poor design decisions to Apple purposely not allowing minor parts replacement by users. Things as simple as a button replacement can brick your product (by design). I don't trust nor adore any of these companies or corporate empires!

pc2000 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 am
wpostma wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:13 am WIndows 7 is getting creakier and harder to defend all the time.

And yet Windows 10 has shit features like “Can Not Actually Turn off realtime scanning, you can just pause it for a while” and “Can not turn updates off indefinitely, or prevent updates from bricking your machine”.

Actual fact: Both are trash. Get a mac.
I don't really get the logic of that response.
Me neither. But then, it's KVR Audio. Discussing computer OS's never really made sense here.

It's not what the topic starter asked for either.

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:26 am
Me neither. But then, it's KVR Audio. Discussing computer OS's never really made sense here.
Discussing computer OS’s never made sense anywhere on the internet...

You're right, I guess. :)

Tomorrow is the forced weekly scheduled run of WaasMedic Agent.exe at least here on all five of my Win 10 systems. You can check in the Task Scheduler. When you boot your system tomorrow check to see if it's generating a lot of disk activity. When it ran last week it was grinding away at the hard drive of my i7 8700K system for almost 10 minutes at 100%.

And stop typing chk071 that system only runs Windows Defender. There is a thread at the Microsoft forum where a lot of people are reporting that WaasMedic is causing serious system degradation starting earlier this year. "My computer slowed to a crawl. I cannot work. I checked task manager and saw a process waas Medic agent exe is the culprit" one person reported. "To anyone from Microsoft -- please respond. I've also been having the same problem being reported here WaaSMedicAgent.exe taking 100% disk usage for about 20-30 minutes after starting up my system every morning, rendering the computer virtually useless. I am running Win 10 Pro 20H2 as well". reported another.

Make no mistake about it Windows 10 is a pig of an operating system. Anyone who has ever run Linux will know that fact. Check the task manager sometimes and watch all the stuff grinding away at your hard drive with Win 10. With Linux the OS loads and that's it no disk grinding but then it's purpose is not to data mine telemetry.

If it wasn't for all the music software I use that requires Windows (for now) I would gladly kick it to the curb.

Anyway I've still got a Window 7 system I use to run a couple of legacy games. Why ? Because they won't install in Win 10. That system never connects to the internet except for the game handshakes so security is not an issue. Occasionally it will receive Malicious Software Removal Tool updates.

To answer the OP's question you won't be able to go back to Win 7 without doing a fresh install. But to anyone who still has Windows 7 I think you can still do the free update to Win 10 (if you really want to). There are instructions on the net
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Not a big fan of linux on the desktop anymore (as a server OS: yes please), I am not overly happy with Windows either, and I think it would be really cool if the audio software industry committed to something like ELK.audio (but with a better name) as a no-nonsense, dedicated audio operating system. Unlikely of course, as for the devs it is a pain in the bum to work with the current mixture of operating systems, DAWs and plugin “standards” already and no one needs another platform to support. But one can still dream...

nevermind

Thank you all.

May be, there is a way or a leading of how to get away all the cluttering useless stuff on windows 10 that needs HD space and uses power of the CPU without any need?
That would be great

Some manufacturers offer a recovery image, try going to their support page put in your laptop model number.

A few tools that can aid transition to Windows 10.
How to Debloat Windows 10 with Windows Debloater
O&O ShutUp10
BlackViperScript
Classic shell
Debloat Windows 10 in 2021

I'm in for a dedicated OS for audio. Computer systems get more powerful and end up using system resources on background apps and telemetry, a waste.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Wed May 05, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

TBH, de-bloating your computer by installing third party bloatware seems pretty counterproductive though.

I'd rather install Windows fresh, without bloat, and then learn about features and services, and deactivate what I don't need.

chk071 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 am TBH, de-bloating your computer by installing third party bloatware seems pretty counterproductive though.

I'd rather install Windows fresh, without bloat, and then learn about features and services, and deactivate what I don't need.
I understand, not everyone wants to delve into the inner working of their OS.
The previous are portable applications/scripts that only run when initiated, with the exception of classic shell. I find Windows 10 start menu naff.

That said, I use Ubuntu 90% of the time and Windows for MS Office and DAW.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

The Noodlist wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 am
chk071 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 am TBH, de-bloating your computer by installing third party bloatware seems pretty counterproductive though.

I understand, not everyone wants to delve into the inner working of their OS.
I think I just proposed the opposite, contrary to installing a software which you have no idea what it actually does under the hood. ;) Apart from that, such programs often tweak registry keys, which get reverted after a Windows update. Or... if the programs don't get updated, it could well be that the things they change change themselves. Wouldn't be the first time.

I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole, and, I haven't used anything like that since XP-Antispy. IMO, such programs are dangerous, and the reason for many "OMG!! Windows Update just wrecked my Windows!!!" moments, apart from security suites, which also can mess up your system.

These tutorials will help you make win 10 fast enough:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=562801

I have to redo them for graphics, but they're good.

chk071 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:15 pmWhich means that you don't get any more Windpws updates.

that alone has almost convinced me to do the same.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”