Roli: Equator 2 is here !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Thankfully managed to install it, with help from Himalaya and ROLI support :)

Ou_Tis wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:36 pm Finally decided to make room for Equator2 by uninstalling almost all the Roli soundpacks I've bought, moving all the rpkg files, and uninstalling or moving other software I won't need immediately. (Brilliant business strategy there Roli! Hope whoever is responsible for still not letting content data be stored on secondary drives enjoys all the money they're not making because of that.)
Can't you use a symbolic links? That's what I've been doing.
Thought it might be faster loading from my NVME drive but it's about the same as my 8 disk RAID50 mechanical array so I've put the 12GB+ ROLI folder there instead.
I moved C:\Users\Public\Documents\ROLI to E:\Audio\ROLI and just made a symlink back to the original location

Don't know what your OS is, but for Windows I use Hard Link Shell extension (which makes it so much easier than using cmd prompts)
https://www.schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlin ... llext.html

TR4 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:24 pm
Ou_Tis wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:36 pm Finally decided to make room for Equator2 by uninstalling almost all the Roli soundpacks I've bought, moving all the rpkg files, and uninstalling or moving other software I won't need immediately. (Brilliant business strategy there Roli! Hope whoever is responsible for still not letting content data be stored on secondary drives enjoys all the money they're not making because of that.)
Can't you use a symbolic links? That's what I've been doing.
Thought it might be faster loading from my NVME drive but it's about the same as my 8 disk RAID50 mechanical array so I've put the 12GB+ ROLI folder there instead.
I moved C:\Users\Public\Documents\ROLI to E:\Audio\ROLI and just made a symlink back to the original location

Don't know what your OS is, but for Windows I use Hard Link Shell extension (which makes it so much easier than using cmd prompts)
https://www.schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlin ... llext.html
Oh wow. I was about to try but read it wouldn't be possible in Windows 10. (Posted about it here.) Assuming you're using Windows 10, I'll have to try to this. Thanks.

Ou_Tis wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 pm Oh wow. I was about to try but read it wouldn't be possible in Windows 10. (Posted about it here.) Assuming you're using Windows 10, I'll have to try to this. Thanks.
Yup, I'm on Win10! No worries, I too was trying to save fast disk space :tu:

Another thing you could try if you realllly want to save ~3GB (might be more/less depending on which Soundpacks/Equator1 presets are installed etc.) is running a duplicate finder application on the ROLI folder.
I use Duplicate File Detective because it has a really neat feature - you can choose to make Hard Links (or Symlinks) out of the duplicate entries.
Basically, a lot of the presets/soundpacks create copies of the same samples, resulting in lots of pointless .roliaudio files.
Probably not worth the hassle if it's all going on a larger secondary drive anyways (still a great duplicate remover tool though)!

nvm

It took 8 days to hear from a human at Roli for support updating to 2.1, but they knew the solution to my install failures. It was to run Roli Connect as administrator in Windows 10. Now I am gtg. So if you are having issues maybe try that.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

I ended up with a botched installation (I still don't understand) of 2.0 after having to roll back the OS here, and ROLI support knew what was wrong. And it was quite obscure, files and a file type I never saw before (not in preferences or expected directories). It took a couple or three days for them to get back to me.

I still have Equator, bought with my Seaboard, but I literally never use it anymore, since honestly I think ROLI messed the synth up: It requires an always on internet access, or at start at least. This is no-go for me, and all the time I use it, it annoys me with an exclusive login popup screen, but I only wanted to use the synth I paid for, not login to some webservices.

I once tested the ROLI updater/connect thing on macos, I think it is a mess, too. It's huge in size, small in feature, hooks annoyingly into the system's startup, often did not work either. It gives no benefit, only disadvantages.

The company has gone the completely wrong way here, in my opinion.

That's why I see Equator 2 very critical, also in the price, too.

The login popup is dismissible by "Deny", clicking through twice. It's not requiring any internet. It is pretty annoying, I want to be able to launch a template without interruption. The new BFD Drums does the same but that one requires the local password to make it go away w one click-through. Equator 2 does not do this.

So is this bug getting addressed where the notes get cutoff on loops in Bitwig?

Equator 2 only needs online connection once a month or so.

I tend to check my software for updates at about that frequency anyway. Face it, the days of an Offline DAW are gone and no longer needed.

The copy protection is a bit like presumed guilt, to me the sounds are worth the trouble though. I hate it when companies make legit paid users jump through more hoops than the pirates.
Dirk

Equator 2.2 update is out. Happy to see that they fixed the note cut off bug in Bitwig! Now they just need to add user folder for samples and fix the filers horrible digital artefacts at high resonance.

New Features and Improvements:

Free Motion Waves Soundpack (30 x MPE & 30 x Standard presets)
Added Soundpack filter section in the preset browser
Added Soundpack filter to Wavetable and Sample minibrowsers
Added mouse interactions to the Wavetable/Sampler/Granular visualisers
Set custom default and init preset options by right clicking on a preset
Set custom default pitchbend range in Note Configuration menu
Added dropdown menu to Effects Chain preset selector
Modulate linked Delay parameters together
Solo multiple Sources at once with ctrl/cmd click
Updated default preset to 'Stereo Motion Wavetable Pad'
Double-clicking on Wavetable/Sample thumbnail opens minibrowser
Added User icons to sub presets browsers
Added right-click Mute option for Modulation sources
UI/UX tweaks and improvements
Bug Fixes:

Equator2 Stops held notes when looping in Bitwig
Modulations applied to Filter 2 not showing in the Mod Matrix
Switching Multi-mod preset changes LFO parameters
Some Multi-mod settings not copy/pasted correctly
Issues with copy/pasting Sources
Effects on/off buttons not always working
Crash when importing several user wavetables
Modelled delay causing audio dropouts
Granular Mini-browser takes longer to open on Windows
Minor fixes to init preset
Several UI/UX fixes
Improved tooltips

Every time I update anything using Roli connect, reaper won't recognise the Rise 49 any more and the roli dashboard keeps saying that there's no usb connection. I have no idea why this happens. This time, all I did was update equator and add the "waves" sounds and boom: no more input into reaper and the dashboard is convinced nothing is connected.. Each time I spend ages firkling about trying to get it to work again - uninstalling, reinstalling. This time I just couldn't be arsed- I just rolled back using system restore.

Point of this post - my advice to anyone thinking of updating, do a manual restore point first. One isn't created when doing the updates through roli connect.

Is your Rise plugged in and switched on while you do the update? Maybe try turning it off before you update? Updating Equator last night didn't affect my Blocks, which were both switched on and connected during the process. It might be one of those annoying things that results from your specific set-up.

I have to say that I'm impressed that setting a restore point works as easily as it seems to, from what you've said. I've always thought it would be a giant pain in the arse, more trouble than it's worth, so I have never even looked at that functionality. How long does it take to set a restore point and how long did it take to roll back to it?

By a strange coincidence, I started Equator last night for the first time in ages, exactly when an update was available. I had almost forgotten how bloody good it is. I spent half the evening just playing one of my patches on the Lightpad Block. It's such an awesome combination. Just playing and manipulating a single note can be totally entrancing. Endless hours of entertainment.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hi Bones. Thanks for your info and advice.

I normally would take a macrium reflect backup before updating anything (particularly ROLI) but I forgot this time.

The roll back to previous restore point was pretty painless. Took about 5 minutes to roll back including restarting. The main arse was that becuase I hadn't manually created a point, the previous automatic point was the day before, before I updated my UAD software and also some UHE stuff, so had to do that again. Normally it creates auomatic points at really good places but the ROLI updater bypasses that....

Creating a point takes no time at all. Just type "create a restore point" in the windows search.

Having said all of that, I used to work as a tech for other composers and system restore really screwed me over on one occasion where it took me back to a point but didn't undo the changes I'd made. I've been a bit wary since then. :-)

However, barring re-updating UAD and UHE, all worked fine this time and ROLI bits are now working normally :-)

Return to “Instruments”