What would you buy now if you could never buy any new plugins or software or hardware ever again?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's say you wanted a fully self-sustaining home studio and wanted to release professional-quality releases, but you had only until the end of the week to purchase everything you would ever need:

- DAW
- Synth VSTs
- Effect VSTs
- Sample libraries
- Other third-party software
- Audio interface
- Midi controller

After this week, you can never buy any new software or hardware again. What do you do?

Ableton
Keyscape
All the Spitfire libraries
I have a Novation 37 mk3 I love, but I might go 63 keys.
Some Genelecs and a sub.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:53 pm Ableton
Keyscape
All the Spitfire libraries
I have a Novation 37 mk3 I love, but I might go 63 keys.
Some Genelecs and a sub.
Spitfire is that good, huh? I'm not much of a sample library aficionado, but maybe I should check them out.

dangayle wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:03 pm
Spitfire is that good, huh? I'm not much of a sample library aficionado, but maybe I should check them out.
Most of my needs are met with what I have now, but if I ever wanted to do something full-on orchestral, Spitfire would be who I would turn to.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Orion

of course, you could say any host, they all have more then you need to produce "professional" music

If having to start from nothing...
I'd try to buy only the software that installs on all three OSs without wrappers.

Day 1/7 :
DAW: Bitwig. Mixbus.
Instruments: Pianoteq Pro Studio Bundle.
u-He Synth Bundle.
Effects: u-He Effects Bundle

Controllers:
StudioLogic SL88 Studio.
(StudioLogic VMK188+.)
StudioLogic Mixface.
Crumar MojoPedals.

Hardware:
Yamaha Montage.
Korg Wavestate.
Waldorf Iridium.
(Roland V-Synth-GT.)
(Roland R-70.)

On day two I'd probably shop the standalone/hybrid drum machines,
& KM Bop Pads/K-board, Roli blocks and CME 3 octave controllers.

For sample libraries, it would do more with specific instruments rather than specific companies. Hurdy Gurdy; Nickleharpa; Psaltery; Pan Drums; Resonator/Steel & Rickenbacker Guitars; Duduk to start.

BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:59 pm If having to start from nothing...
I'd try to buy only the software that installs on all three OSs without wrappers.
why? who has 3 diff conputers/boots that they switch between all the time?

A gun you can shoot me with cuz I'll never be able to buy software or plugins again!
Are you happy??
Are you happy,sir???
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:07 pm
BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:59 pm If having to start from nothing...
why? who has 3 diff conputers/boots that they switch between all the time?
It's a matter of using any computer at hand, whether I own one or not.

Computers aren't exactly created equal, but I can see why OP would want to avoid discussing which computer to buy.

More pertinently, I don't get why people would settle for a small keyboard as their only controller. In a setup I'll be stuck with for literally the rest of my life, I'd want my input devices to cover as much ground as possible: 88 hammer keys, lots of knobs/faders, drum pads, pedals, and the most expressive whatever I can get my hands on. If I ran out and bought all this today, I'd probably go for an Arturia Keylab, a Linnstrument, some breath controller, a theremin, and optionally a DX7 if I find one in the garbage.
I hate signatures too.

It all depends on your needs and how you work. For me, a keyboard is the absolute lowest priority and something that I really only need because we play live. In the studio it is pretty much redundant and most of the time I don't even have one set up. I get a helluva lot more done using a mouse than I ever would with a controller - it's just an extra layer of complexity that I have no need of.

I'd call this my "Desert Island" set-up, just the essentials and not much extra. Everything would fit in a single, carry-on size Pelican case, except the speakers (obviously), including a laptop to run it all and any cables I'd need.

HOST:
- Studio One

SYNTHS:
- JP6K
- Union
- bx_oberhausen
- ARP Odyssey
- TRK-01 Bass (+ Reaktor Player, obviously)
- Hexeract
- Thorn
- VG-Carbon

DRUMS:
- BM_Nemesis
- VD-Heavy

EFFECTS:
- FireCobra
- Puncher

HARDWARE:
- Zoom U-24
- Eris 3.5 (pair, of course)
- KeyStep
- Rode NT-1
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

dangayle wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:42 pm Let's say you wanted a fully self-sustaining home studio and wanted to release professional-quality releases, but you had only until the end of the week to purchase everything you would ever need:

- DAW
- Synth VSTs
- Effect VSTs
- Sample libraries
- Other third-party software
- Audio interface
- Midi controller

After this week, you can never buy any new software or hardware again. What do you do?
Actually I have this setup already that I "think" I won't need anything else! However, I might make slight changes:
NI Komplete Kontrol S61 instead of my Arturia keylab mk ii 49
Presonus Quantum audio interface instead of iTwo
PC with Ryzen 5900X instead of 1600X (with more RAM and SSD Space!)

The same:
Cubase Pro 11, NI Komplete Ultimate, U-He synths (RePro, Diva, Bazille, ACE).

Very essential for me is my DT 990 Pro headphones and Yamaha HS7 (which I loved it more if it is HS8).

But to be honest! I'm fine now and I still have more than "I don't need anything else"! :hihi:

I’d end up with what I now have, just without the resell -> replacement gear treadmill deal, that I was on for a while there.

I think I would only need Hive, Diva, Komplete 13 Ultimate and the Soundtoys Bundle (And Stock Plugins, but I won´t count them). :)

I would buy Tube Tech CL1b hardware - it's my all time favourite compressor ;)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”