Are you buying vinyl again?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Started buying music early 90´s (vinyl), went cd music maybe 95 to 05, since then i buy 10 cds a year. Now i notice the city music shops just have vinyl and cassetes and books, maybe one day i will buy one and when walking home see if they fly. Just curious if it feels as strange for kvr´rs going back to vinyl as it´s feels for me, that spend my time with plugins, other software and a computer

Heard this week about 85% of record label revenue comes from streaming. In physical format the majority is vinyl. I don't understand, it's inferior.
Not touching vinyl with a 10ft pole. The only appeal is bigger artwork.

I only have CD's (don't stream at all) but the buying frenzy has passed. 25 yrs ago I'd come home with 4 disks a month, now maybe 4 per year. The cd case hosts about 850 of 'em, don't listen to them that often anymore.

I have a record player (still some 50 LP's to convert to cd) but after moving house found out the cartridge went missing. So that's useless.
Last edited by BertKoor on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

odd bits, mainly still old stuff i didnt get already, rather than much in the way of new releases.
depends on the band, some i started out buying vinyl, rather than replace, carried on buying vinyl from them, but newer bands got moved on to cd.

the idea of vinyl doesnt seem weird at all, what does from your post is "visiting record shops" :o
ive not been out for so long, that scares me!!!

Nope, wouldn’t buy vinyl, although my music listening started with vinyl and cassettes in the eighties, I am usually not the nostalgic type, CDs, downloads or streaming are just more practical.
I still prefer books though and cannot really imagine reading on a kindle or such. Dunno why, just don’t like the aesthetics of those ebook readers...

I only ever bought a few things on vinyl in the early 90s when they weren't available on cassette. Definitely not going to start either now...

Now I only buy things on CD if I can't get digital versions, but rip them immediately and throw 'em in storage.

it's the only format I buy

No way.
Started off with vinyl in the 80s, and though there's nostalgia value, it's an inferior medium.
1. Innate noise
2. Less dynamic range (despite digital music is admittedly often squashed to hell)
2. Limited frequency spectrum (bass needs to be limited etc - jumping needles)
3. Very expensive players - even back in the day when they were common, decent needles and decks were expensive.
4. Anyone who lives in a house with floorboards will know you wouldn't touch a record deck with a bargepole if you can help it.
5. Storage takes up way more space.
6. Lost track of how many records I warped leaving them in the sun near a window over the years...

I'm an old fart, and even I rarely buy CDs nowadays let alone vinyl. I hate crappy low standard MP3 quality, but as long as it's decent quality, digital is superior in almost every way. It astounds me even more if eejit hipsters are buying cassettes - they were shit, they are shit, they always will be shit. A really good cassette player can be OK, but only OK. And they don't last - I know cos recently I found my old collection of mixtapes, tried them out and almost all of them are stuffed beyond using - I threw them out. At least vinyl lasts, even if it sounds crap.

Glad to see the back of vinyl.
And tape.
And, one day I hope, MP3.

kritikon wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:26 am 4. Anyone who lives in a house with floorboards will know you wouldn't touch a record deck with a bargepole if you can help it.
Unless they were resourceful enough to snatch a plastic bread delivery tray from the corner deli,screw hooks into the ceiling & hang it with four even lengths of line from an old fish pole
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Vinyl skipped my generation. I remember having records in the house as a kid, but my music stash as a young man was in cassettes and cds. Now, I am perfectly happy for most of my listening needs with my Spotify sub. It’s not fantastic, but it’s good enough. My fourteen year old daughter, however, loves vinyl, and always wants to get her favorite albums in that format, and even (gasp) surprises me sometimes by asking me to buy her vinyl versions of some of my favorite albums. (She wanted Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon last week, I cried tears of joy). I have enjoyed taking her to find local record stores lately, and the old pleasures of thumbing through stacks of music to find hidden gems are still there, and it’s good. So I have been buying records lately as well. I’m not of the opinion that vinyl is superior, but there’s something about it that is just nice, and it tends to make listening to music a more deliberate activity, and incentivizes listening to an album as a whole work, rather than just playing single tracks. Also vinyl sales are an important new potential revenue stream for the artists, and I support that.

I don't buy vinyl, I think the appeal is more about having a physical "thing" as oppose to buying for the sound quality. I don't stream either. If I can I buy from Bandcamp and download the lossless version to play in a media player, I do that, that's my preferred way of listening to music.

I’ve heard that new vinyl sucks as the only machines they still have pressing them are ancient and poorly maintained. These seem to be petty common threads. I wouldn’t know from experience as the most recent record I’ve listened to is from 2001 or so.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/761231

donquixote wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:28 pm Started buying music early 90´s (vinyl), went cd music maybe 95 to 05, since then i buy 10 cds a year. Now i notice the city music shops just have vinyl and cassetes and books, maybe one day i will buy one and when walking home see if they fly. Just curious if it feels as strange for kvr´rs going back to vinyl as it´s feels for me, that spend my time with plugins, other software and a computer
My wife got me a really nice turntable for my birthday one year and some cool vinyl. During that year I picked up about 50 records. It was fun, but I got rid of it all at one point. I got tired of all the care, the flipping, the pops and crackles that I noticed even on new albums. It was a fun little bit of nostalgia, but frankly vinyl died because it was due to die. I’m a lot more happy buying CDs of things I really like and using Apple Music for casual stuff that I just want to listen to every now and then.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

ShawnG wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:14 am I’m not of the opinion that vinyl is superior, but there’s something about it that is just nice, and it tends to make listening to music a more deliberate activity, and incentivizes listening to an album as a whole work, rather than just playing single tracks.
I do understand that. I remember it being a most definite thing - when you get a new LP, putting it on the deck and deliberately sitting to listen to the whole thing with no other purpose but listening to new music. Every now and then if I'm on my own I'll make a point of finding some new music - or something old but trusted and make a big deal of listening to it. Occasionally I'll bounce around the house to it (especially if nobody else is in)...but there's the rub. You can't bounce around to vinyl because it'll bounce around with you. :(

masterhiggins wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:31 am I’ve heard that new vinyl sucks as the only machines they still have pressing them are ancient and poorly maintained. These seem to be petty common threads. I wouldn’t know from experience as the most recent record I’ve listened to is from 2001 or so.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/761231
hasn't been my experience, don't buy a lot of new stuff, but no problems with the ones I have

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”