Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

BONES wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:24 am Very helpful, that insightful comment really moves the discussion forward.
What's there to discuss? You said "DAWs are very complex, very capable applications that all have steep learning curves" which is a rare objectively true thing coming from you; and - to nobody's surprise - you found S1 easiest, because you've been using Cubase for several months/years before.

Also, there's no point discussing things with you, as you think your opinion is the universal truth :shrug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Cubase and Studio One have the same origins and it’s easy to switch between them, I used both for many years before selling Cubase. If Cubase 13 or whatever came out with unique killer features and super tight workflow I would probably switch again, it’s just a tool, I’ll use whatever works best at the time. Sometimes I’ll switch just for fun or change for change sake...same with guitars ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:41 amyou found S1 easiest, because you've been using Cubase for several months/years before.
I'm not sure that's accurate. I've been using Cubase now for a couple of years, and I've used it to produce an album, but I've only had Studio One since mid last year, yet I know Studio One much better already than I know Cubase. Having Cubase might have made it easy to make the decision to give S1 a try but what made Studio One so much easier to learn is that it's so much more intuitive. Pretty much everything I know about Cubase I learned from a video but most of what I know about Studio One I have worked out for myself.

Bitwig was the same for me as Cubase - everything I could do with it I had to learn from another source, I found it almost impossible to work out how to do anything just by playing around with it. Bitwig probably made it easier for me to move to Cubase than Cubase made it for me to move to S1. Simple things, like using a browser and having to double-click to add notes into the Piano Roll, were things I got used to in Bitwig that made Cubase easier to get into. Moving from Cubase to S1, it was more about the familiarity of the layout/interface than how things work.
Also, there's no point discussing things with you, as you think your opinion is the universal truth :shrug:
That's because I base my opinions on available facts so if you want to change my opinion, you can do it easily by providing new or different (compelling) facts relevant to the discussion.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Is there any way to get the mouse wheel to horizontal zoom without having to press a modifier key?

Kang wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 pm Is there any way to get the mouse wheel to horizontal zoom without having to press a modifier key?
No, but why would you want that? Mouse wheel is for vertical scrolling.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:33 pm
Kang wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 pm Is there any way to get the mouse wheel to horizontal zoom without having to press a modifier key?
It's much more efficient to have the scroll wheel something different over the clips/edit section than over the tracks. Horizontal (or vertical) zoom over edit and track scroll over the tracks is really intuitive for me, I bet a lot of people would like it if the option was available (How hard is it really? And it wouldn't be 'bloat' by any means).

Didn't intend this to be a complaint though, I thought maybe I was just missing something.

Kang wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm
It's much more efficient to have the scroll wheel something different over the clips/edit section than over the tracks. Horizontal (or vertical) zoom over edit and track scroll over the tracks is really intuitive for me, I bet a lot of people would like it if the option was available (How hard is it really? And it wouldn't be 'bloat' by any means).

Didn't intend this to be a complaint though, I thought maybe I was just missing something.
This is horrible navigation! This is why I can't use Reaper as my main DAW!

EnGee wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 pm
Kang wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm

This is horrible navigation! This is why I can't use Reaper as my main DAW!
"This" being what I describe, or how Studio One works? I don't see how either way is 'horrible', the key is to have options. I'm fully aware of the pitfalls of too many options, but that's just not the case here.

In Reaper mouse wheel action is customizable, I was able to get it to do what I wanted.

EnGee wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 pm This is horrible navigation! This is why I can't use Reaper as my main DAW!
If this is the reason...why do you not just change it???

It´s quite simple to do via the actions menu...

Trancit wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:34 pm
EnGee wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 pm This is horrible navigation! This is why I can't use Reaper as my main DAW!

You know what the problem with Reaper is. It's not that you can't configure things. It's that you HAVE TO configure them because most of the basics are completely wrong, or at least non-intuitive and/or non-standard.

BTW, congrats on 3k posts! :party: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast

There are so many shortcuts need to be changed. I don't like to change the defaults in any program really. Most of the shortcuts are taken and I need to override them. No! this is not practical!.

However, I can use Reaper as a "test" DAW (loading VSTi and testing some quick ideas) because it loads fast. For the editing and composing, Cubase is my choice (S1 could be also as I have still S1v4 Artist with VSTi support).

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:49 pm

You know what the problem with Reaper is. It's not that you can't configure things. It's that you HAVE TO configure them because most of the basics are completely wrong, or at least non-intuitive and/or non-standard.
Exactly! :tu:

Kang wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 pmIs there any way to get the mouse wheel to horizontal zoom without having to press a modifier key?
Yes, you just scroll at the top of the window, where the scale/bar markers are.
Kang wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pmDidn't intend this to be a complaint though, I thought maybe I was just missing something.
You were. I agree that it feels weird that the scroll wheel does nothing over the arrangement window but it was one of the first things I learned about S1. This video might give you some handy tips -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE94S0eWHKQ
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:49 pm

BTW, congrats on 3k posts! :party: :hug:
I agree with this, but Studio One has the exact opposite problem. Mouse wheel over edit is a pretty basic customization considering it's useful, simple, and doesn't get in the way of anything (default can stay the same). Moving to the time bar helps for sure, but that should be customizable also. I don't get why it's much different than customizable key-commands, it's the mouse wheel.

I imagine that scrolling scrolls the window, like it does in every single application in the history of the universe, so I kind of get why they wouldn't want to f**k around with that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”