Plugin Alliance - Black Box Analog Design HG-2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would use my 50$ voucher if I could, but since I can't use it on products under 75$, I don't know if I wanna upgrade until the price is lower (with taxes included it ends up costing 87$ for me). Really weird to set these artificial limitations, when 1-2 month ago I was on 25$ voucher, which would've worked here.

Add bx tuner to your cart to push it over the $75
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

4damind wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:19 am
pixel85 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:10 pm The original BB is exactly the same. Only filters were added which can be very useful. M/S too and fortunately everything else can be totally ignored (TMT, Stereo Control, Low end monoizer).
Especially for effect plug-ins that add something to the signal, I find M/S very interesting. People who prefer the Blackbox HG2 for mastering or on groups will certainly like this extended functionality. Basically, the Monomaker and other functions of the Brainworx Toolbar are also very interesting there.
Whether the crossgrade is worth the $69 is of course another question. If you wait long enough, you can get it without the crossgrade for $49 or less (as is usual with PA) ;)
Yes, the M/S option is definitely good and useful for mastering, especially with filters. Hipass the Sides, Lowpass the Mids etc. - many possibilities to push HG2 more than the original version before it starts to produce audible distortion :)
I've been using it on the master bus very often but I had to keep it very, very gentle. Now it should be even better sound scultper.

Aloysius wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:35 am Add bx tuner to your cart to push it over the $75
Yep, that's exactly what I just did. Got both for £30 including taxes. Had one $50 voucher expire last month, wasn't going to let that happen again! :hihi: :tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I've had the (now old :D) HG-2 plugin for two years and I think workflow-wise, the new one it's going to be much better for Mid-Side operations compared to the double-instance m/s decode/encode DAW workaround.

My problem is, I see Mid-Side saturation as a very subtle practice to either subtly thicken the middle or subtly widen the stereo image... "subtle" being the keyword here.
For such subtle changes in the harmonic content between Mid and Side, I'd probably rather use a simpler M/S plugin like the elysia karacter with its "drive" knob, rather than the HG-2 with its "pentode into triode with additional parallel saturation circuit" workflow.

For normal or "heavier" saturation tasks in standard LR mode instead, the tone shaping capabilities of the HG-2 are definitely a big plus over simpler saturation plugins.

But I don't know. I sure might change my mind in the future.

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:23 pm
Aloysius wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:35 am Add bx tuner to your cart to push it over the $75
Yep, that's exactly what I just did. Got both for £30 including taxes. Had one $50 voucher expire last month, wasn't going to let that happen again! :hihi: :tu:
I think I have about seven bx_tuners at this stage. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Anyone got a PA $50 voucher to give away? :D

I recently purchased the new M/S version, and frankly I'm blown away. After setting it up on my 2-buss in M/S mode, now when I turn it on/off I find that it really makes my mixes big, full, and glued together. I didn't expect such an impact.

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:23 pm
Exactly what happened here too (loosing last month voucher)! And it's exactly what I'm thinking to do too (HG-2MS and tuner). But I'm thinking if it's not a better idea to use my $50 voucher on the new BX True Peak Limiter. The problem: HG-2MS initial offer expires April 12, and the new limiter comes in in April 13.
:dog:
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

I really hope I can find a HG-2 license before this intro sale ends. I didn't pay enough attention to the upgrade discount with the vouchers I had...

I've spent the last 3 hours demoing HG-2MS and Saturn 2 for a variety of uses, and it's been tough. They both have so many sounds inside. I think I could get almost anywhere in Saturn with enough tweaking, but it's pretty easy to get a good, stable mastering-level (for me) result out of HG-2MS and some great gluing to my ear compared to Saturn. Especially once I own it (please sell me a HG-2 license so I can upgrade! :) ), I can put HG-2 in a custom setup with automatic gain compensation, making it even easier. If I miss this opportunity, maybe I'll go find someone who'll sell Saturn, because wow, what a plugin for sound design and imaging; HG-2MS will inevitably go on sale for $29 anyway :wink:

Yesterday I picked up Black box HG2 for $39,99 - voucher = $19,99. i did also look at the M/S version of the HG2, which is now on sale for $129,99 so i quickly forgot about it.
The sale runs for another 42 hours..

Was reading the thread and OMG i never knew about the M/S capability in Logic Pro :ud: WOW!

But about the new HG-2MS & pricing;
it's now on sale for $129,99 but since i own it that changed to $69,99 which is the cross/upgrade price mentioned. Although in my licences i see [Phil's Cascade available!] for $39,99.

Anyway i won't do it now, but going this way is cheaper than buying the MS in the current sale for $129,99:
HG2 $19,99 + upgrade $69,99 = $89,98 :-)

I think i got over the $50 mark now so should be getting loyalty vouchers which i may some time use for the upgrade

Hettoblaster wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:46 pm Yesterday I picked up Black box HG2 for $39,99 - voucher = $19,99. i did also look at the M/S version of the HG2, which is now on sale for $129,99 so i quickly forgot about it.
The sale runs for another 42 hours..

Was reading the thread and OMG i never knew about the M/S capability in Logic Pro :ud: WOW!

But about the new HG-2MS & pricing;
it's now on sale for $129,99 but since i own it that changed to $69,99 which is the cross/upgrade price mentioned. Although in my licences i see [Phil's Cascade available!] for $39,99.

Anyway i won't do it now, but going this way is cheaper than buying the MS in the current sale for $129,99:
HG2 $19,99 + upgrade $69,99 = $89,98 :-)

I think i got over the $50 mark now so should be getting loyalty vouchers which i may some time use for the upgrade
When it's cheap enough, buy it. I had a good combination of cross-grade and vouchers and I have to say I much prefer it to the regular HG-2 now, which you get with HG-2 MS anyway, so you may want to factor that into the total cost too.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:30 pm When it's cheap enough, buy it. I had a good combination of cross-grade and vouchers and I have to say I much prefer it to the regular HG-2 now, which you get with HG-2 MS anyway, so you may want to factor that into the total cost too.
Ok cool will surely keep an eye on an opportunity cheers

Return to “Effects”