Field Recorder recommendations

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All

Sorry if this has been covered, I did go back 6 or so pages to check but could not find anything.

I would like to purchase a hand held field recorder to record ambiences and nature etc. In my research so far I have discovered that Tascam and Zoom are 2 of the main players for these devices with Sony also having a unit which is a tad too expensive for me. Not sure which one I should go for.

Looking for something with decent sound and build quality and around £200 max. In my mind the Tascam DR-40x is a contender and like the look of its feature set but some online reviews say it feels a bit cheap and plastiky.

Any suggestions or recommendations welcome

Used PCM-M10 might be an option worth considering.

But if you want new, you’re right - Zoom and Tascam are probably it, at that price level. Honestly, there’s not so much difference there. Specs on various models will differ, of course, and that’s mostly what you need to know.

Actually .. how are you planning to use it? As in, with external microphones at any stage? Et cetera.

Not 100% sure just yet, initially I suppose I would use it with just the built in mics but the option to plug in an external mic would be good and future proofing some what.

I took a look on eBay for the M10. Looks nice and portable, unfortunately the only 2nd hand units all seem to be in Japan and does not seem to have any XLR inputs.

I have and use (and very happy with)
Olympus LS-10
If you ask me- find a second hand good condition LS-10!!!!

The Roland R-07 is just under £200. I've heard good things about the previous R-05 model but it's discontinued now. No XLR option for external mics though.

I have a H1n with the accessory pack and while it's cheap and plasticky it does the job for me.

Here's a good video on field recorders I watched a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgCZCEq0_8
Image Image Image Image

I cant say about the DR 40, but I have the DR 100 mk 3 and it's great, I bet it could record a cat fart from 20 feet away. The body is plastic, but doesn't feel overly cheap or anything to me.

decided to go with the Tascam DR-40x and ordered it today along with a fluffy windshield thingy and a 64gb SD card and some decent re-chargeable batteries. I think it will fulfill my pretty basic requirements perfectly.

thanks all for the suggestions.

humpo72 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:29 pm decided to go with the Tascam DR-40x and ordered it today along with a fluffy windshield thingy and a 64gb SD card and some decent re-chargeable batteries. I think it will fulfill my pretty basic requirements perfectly.

thanks all for the suggestions.
Don't you need a tripod or a pole or something? i've read that this recorder makes a lot of handling noise. Sorry for not arriving earlier.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”