2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hear they've started making those again! Very nice design and feature-set. Slight shame that it doesn't do V/oct tracking. Although there are modules now which can help with that. (CalTrans, maybe Ornament & Crime?)

Shabdahbriah wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am
Ummm... this right here:

225x413_531.jpg
Boy, that takes me back. I helped assemble some of those... geez, must have been 15 years ago. Daleks, Vulcans and Frequensteiners.

justin3am wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 pm Boy, that takes me back. I helped assemble some of those... geez, must have been 15 years ago. Daleks, Vulcans and Frequensteiners.
Those are the three I wanted at that time, but never ever got. I do have a Cyclotron and AFG though.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:07 pm
justin3am wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 pm Boy, that takes me back. I helped assemble some of those... geez, must have been 15 years ago. Daleks, Vulcans and Frequensteiners.
Those are the three I wanted at that time, but never ever got. I do have a Cyclotron and AFG though.
you'd think he'd knock a couple of each up for us.
lazy git.

I remember when Mike first started showing us the prototype for the AFG. His living room was wall to wall with old test equipment. At the time I knew very little about the history of electronic instruments... he showed me his copies of Electronotes and gave me his copy of Electronic Projects For Musicians. Hanging out with Mike was a blast... He had some wild stories. Ken MacBeth came to hang out... I think it was during NAMM 2007. A totally mind blowing experience.

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:23 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:07 pm
you'd think he'd knock a couple of each up for us.
lazy git.
:lol: :lol: :lol: lol, I didn't even get any of those modules for myself! I was paid in pizza and I was happy for it! I got an AFG years later. It's the only module I really regret selling.

:lol: that's even more rubbish!

rule 1: im having these for doing this! :hihi:

justin3am wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:25 pm I was paid in pizza and I was happy for it! I got an AFG years later. It's the only module I really regret selling.
them: "wanna come over?"
me: "I'm kinda busy"
them: "we have pizza"
me: "what time do you want me to be there?"

(never fails)

Even though I am feeling pretty flush with oscillators, the AFG has always intrigued me, as in every time I see one, I get a nagging sense that "I really should have one of these".
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

16175585025765932506776230979142_180905832042183.jpg
Got a Crummar / GM lab D9U organ drawbar controller via USB. Works fantastic with GSi VB3ii organ vst and IKMM Hammond B3 vst. Plug and play. Very solid build ... glad I opted for pre-assembled but comes as a kit too.

Can't believe what an instant game changer this hardware unit is for B3. Highly recommended.

Delivered from Italy to USA in under a week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Now I figure my next buy has changed again. Behringer vocoder. Watched a few demos and again it looks like they nailed the sound - it's obvious all these guys playing it are having way too much fun. TBH I want the vocoder and the synth side of it is just a minor bonus that I didn't think I needed, but when you hear those pads - nostalgia maxima.
https://youtu.be/ftq33GMeS1E

https://youtu.be/0kEHP2aUItA

I could make myself a Dalek with the 2600, then put that through a vocoder to make myself a Dalek singing in the bath.
Do Dalek's even bathe? Wouldn't they rust? :scared:

The Acid Rain Maestro will be arriving on Tuesday...

Recorded a short thing with Strega, 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl.
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/lavender

At first I found the wording of the marketing material for Strega (even the manual) a little... mystifying? After spending a bit of time, I can kinda understand why. It's easy enough to understand the signal path but how all the parts interact results in a unique sound. It's really beautiful with a huge range of fascinating sounds. The magic is really in subtle modulation and feedback teetering on the edge of oscillation.

Since I'm trying to reduce the number of AC adapters I'm using, I'm using a Cioks DC7 to power all three devices plus a 64HP 4MS Pod and 3 Hungry Robot modules.

justin3am wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:00 am Recorded a short thing with Strega, 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl.

At first I found the wording of the marketing material for Strega (even the manual) a little... mystifying? After spending a bit of time, I can kinda understand why. It's easy enough to understand the signal path but how all the parts interact results in a unique sound. It's really beautiful with a huge range of fascinating sounds. The magic is really in subtle modulation and feedback teetering on the edge of oscillation.

Since I'm trying to reduce the number of AC adapters I'm using, I'm using a Cioks DC7 to power all three devices plus a 64HP 4MS Pod and 3 Hungry Robot modules.
I think you and Vurt should collaborate!

As you are already deep in Euroracking, where do these Make Noise devices fit? Does it fill a different niche (since they also make eurorack modules)?

I've been considering that same trio, vs the Moog trio (DFam, Mother-32, Subharmonicon), vs none of those at all.

The small form factor of the Make Noise devices has my attention plus I'd finally get to play with patch cables that can be combined with CV modulation of the CBA pedals I have.

justin3am wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:00 am Recorded a short thing with Strega, 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl.
The 0-Coast is a a lot of fun. I played for hours at a friends house. Weirdly, they listened. I think that I could do a show that nobody would attend with one of those and my pico-dsp.

Now I must say the incantation...

ghettosynth does not need an 0-Coast, wants and desires are the root of all suffering.
ghettosynth does not need an 0-Coast, wants and desires are the root of all suffering.

I have been cleansed, nobody better light any damn sage, that shit stinks and triggers my allergies.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:07 amwants and desires are the root of all suffering.
Only when they are not fulfilled... :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”