Current MacBook Pro connectivity

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

i'm thinking vaguely about upgrading to a current MacBook Pro in a while or so. There's no hurry, and i'm not sure it's a good idea, but working on an older iMac right now, i'm seriously curious about the possible connectivity of those two usbc-ports.

What they would need to plug, given some ridicoulusly overprized adapers would be, in a somewhat conventional setup:
- power in
- apogee interface (if actually works would need thunderbolt to usbc adapter)
- 2 USB powered Midi Controllers
- iLok dongle
- Monitor out
- Backup Harddrive
- keyboard and mouse (preferring usb over bluetooth)

Is this actually easily possible, or impossible anyway, or would require more research and thought into what adapters and if there should be adapters with external power supply?
As said, this doesn't seem like a good idea to me, i'm mostly curious.

Cheers,
Zong3k

One of the Apple usb-c adapters has usb-c for power in, traditional usb (connect a 4-port hub to that) and hdmi. So it could work.
Do detailed research on that Apogee interface though.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

There are desktop docks that have enough connections for everything on your list... I don't have a specific dock to recommend.

The 16" MBP has 4 usb-c ports.

Also, rumor has it that the next iteration of the MBP will have a couple ports added back like SD card. All the machines from here on will be Apple Silicon.

nvmd

You could probably daisy chain a lot of those items through USB3 hubs, a USB-C dongle connected to one or more USB-A 3.0 hubs would probably do it (if you enough have self-powered devices like maybe your harddrive to plug into the USB-A hubs; if not you might need two dongles).

There are kind of two classes of hub: the multiport dongles, which are usually USB 3.1+, or the docks, which also pass through thunderbolt. Most will also include a Power Delivery port to connect the charger to, and an HDMI port to connect to the monitor. (Be sure to check the refresh rate if you're using 4K.)

This is a good starter roundup: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... and-docks/

The (ergonimic) dream with these is plugging in only one cable for power, monitor, and data

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”