How to change environment variables to set up a VST plugin path

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRer
18 posts since 17 Feb, 2014

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:22 am

Hello,

Bu default Windows sets the destination folder as 'Steinberg'... I need to change that to 'VST Folder'...

My previous Windows 10 (pre 2016) had a registry tweak for it. But my new Windows 1809 system didn't have any Hkey for VST, so I made one from previous experience in here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VST

But it didn't do the trick. I can't seem to find any string that contains 'Steinberg'. So I have no idea how the Steinberg path is keep being the designated path for VST installs...

Any help would be appreciated...

cheers

KVRAF
21537 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:03 am

The proper registry path is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VST, then a string value (REG_SZ) called VSTPluginsPath with your wanted plugini path. This is for 64-bit plugins.

For 32-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VST, same REG_SZ etc.

Note that some plugin installers are simply deaf to this and they will do their own thing anyways, so be mindful when you're installing new ones and always double-check the path.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:32 pm

Thank you... But unfortunately in my Win 10, that path doesn't exist...
Windows 1809

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:54 am

Which by the way I created that path and specified the VST path to my liking, but it did nothing to please me...

Obviously I can get around the problem. But I like to be able to install the damm thing where I want to not what where Windows wants to... And I'd like to do that with efficiency.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:01 am

Here is the answer I received elsewhere and it worked...

1. Create a new key named "VST" in the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE" MainMenu > "Edit" > "New" > "Key"
2. In the new key "VST", create a new String Value named "VSTPluginsPath" MainMenu > "Edit" > "New" > "String Value"
3. Enter your VST path ... press ENTER on "VSTPluginsPath"

Thank you all

KVRAF
3149 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Everywhere and nowhere, baby

Post Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:02 pm

I wish people would get the jargon right. This is a question about registry keys, not environment variables. Like that other thread that asked about normalisation and every comment was about gain-staging. No wonder people are confused. :evil:
BitChute
SoundCloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

KVRAF
21537 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 pm

cemster wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:01 am
Here is the answer I received elsewhere and it worked...

1. Create a new key named "VST" in the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE" MainMenu > "Edit" > "New" > "Key"
2. In the new key "VST", create a new String Value named "VSTPluginsPath" MainMenu > "Edit" > "New" > "String Value"
3. Enter your VST path ... press ENTER on "VSTPluginsPath"
This is EXACTLY the same thing that I said in my post... :x

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”