38" Ultrawide for M1 Mac Mini

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

masterhiggins wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:04 amDoes yours look like this?
No. My icons are twice as wide and twice as high. Are they sharp?
If not, your screen resolution may be scaled. You might need to go into your monitor settings.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

masterhiggins wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:53 pm Which Dell monitor do you have, by chance? I tried out an LG 34” ultra wide @1080p and I just got an LG 32” 4K and the menu bar in MacOS is damn microscopic. I have 20/20 vision so that’s damn strange.
it's a Dell U3818dw - I've tried 32" 4K monitors on the mac and find everything too small - ppi on 3840x1600 38 (and the 3440x1440 34" is definitely the sweet spot for me

Michael L wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:12 am
masterhiggins wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:04 amDoes yours look like this?
No. My icons are twice as wide and twice as high. Are they sharp?
If not, your screen resolution may be scaled. You might need to go into your monitor settings.
Hm. It's set on "default for display," which is 2160. Did you maybe scale yours up?

I have a similar display to the LG you listed.

LG 27UL850-W 27 Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Display with VESA DisplayHDR 400 and USB Type-C Connectivity, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MKT1W65/re ... hzFKTTNojo

I got this model because i have an M1 MacBook Air and I wanted the USB-C connectivity so I could get charge and display at the same time.

I love it. I connected it to my Windows (Cubase Pro) machine via HDMI as well and it’s so much nicer than my old multi monitor setup. Highly recommend. Planning on getting the next-gen Apple silicon mini or pro once a few more of my chosen apps and plugs come out with native M1 versions.

masterhiggins wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:21 amHm. It's set on "default for display," which is 2160. Did you maybe scale yours up?
I have my (Mojave) Displays preferences also set on "Default for display" but my default is "Looks like 1920 x 1080."

Any higher "Looks like" resolution is via the Scaled option, which "may affect performance."

It's a real puzzle why we would both have 32" 4K LG monitors but the default resolution is different :ud:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Hm yeah when I change it to scale down to 1440 the res is damn near ideal for what I want. It’s just annoying that I paid for a 4K monitor that could easily be matched (spec-wise) by a QHD monitor for half the price. It looks amazing though. Beautiful picture, color, and contrast. It blows away my 7 year old viewsonic in every possible way.

If you were in my position, would you consider returning it to get a lower-res monitor? I paid $550 for it before taxes. A similar spec LG (except 1440p) is about $300. I wonder if the quality would be degraded in another capacity somehow. I’m not an expert with these things, obviously.

A 4k monitor should be just as sharp (same pixel density) across the 32" sceen as a 2k monitor on a 16-17" laptop, so your plugin GUIs should be the same size. I would check the settings in your monitor to see if you set an aspect or other setting that changed the default. You can also Increase the size of your Dock icons in system prefs and your desktop folder icons in Finder view options
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

K I figured it out. For some reason when I connected the LG 32UN880-B to my Mac Mini via USB-C, it opens up a new resolution option under MacOS of 3008 x 1692.

It is now perfect for me. There's plenty of screen space, but without the squinting I do with the 4K resolution. The image is excellent, with fantastic contrast, accurate color, and crisp text. 32" seems to be the ideal size. Last but not least, the included arm is flexible and sturdy. I'm very happy with my purchase thus far. This is a great monitor. Thanks for everyone's input.

Good. HDMI 2 is another option, but use the provided cables.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Not a mac user so I can only comment on monitors, but I really like my LG 34GK950F-B 34" 21:9. Although when FreeSync is enabled, I have noticed a slight flicker in applications with a lot of flat colors (i.e. Ableton, Photoshop, but not in games or video). I just keep FreeSync off most of the time since it's not a feature I really care about. I also have the monitor vertically stacked with a 24" Dell monitor (on top) using a VIVO Dual LCD Monitor Desk Mount Stand. Overall really awesome configuration for music production.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”