OK to Use Powered USB Port on Laptop for Keyboard Controller?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I ran out of ports and am using the powered usb port for a keyboard controller.
Are there any potential issues doing that?

If it works, then it works! No issues to be expected.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Can't see why there would be. Elektron even make one of their own, Overhub, and I'd be lost without it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

thanks guys
I guess I thought it might suck extra power that isn't used/needed.

Yeah, no, the controller is not going to suck that hard...
some hubs are such crap that that could be an actual issue. I had one which robbed Peter to pay Paul but was conning Paul and trying to move to Managua

Thanks, it's just an extra usb port on the laptop that can be used for charging, I guess.
I have a hub which I use for external drives and such.
I didn't know whether the powered usb port should be dedicated only for specific purpose(s).

There might be a slight misunderstandiong. From what I gather, Musical Gym isn't using a USB hub, but a powered USB port on his laptop.

Although I don't quite understand what that is supposed to be. All USB ports on a laptop are powered. You might mean a quick charge port, where you can quick charge a mobile phone, for example. My USB hub has such a port. I don't see any issues connecting your keyboard controller to that port, as long as it's transmitting data and power. Which should be the case, if the keyboard is working.

Thanks for info and clarification attempt. The usb port in question has a "battery" icon next to it, so my guess was that it is a powered port or a charging port. It is located on the laptop, not on my usb hub. I would guess that it is a charging port.

Yes, that is a port that supplies power whether the laptop is switched on or not, so you can charge something without having to first turn the laptop on. Beyond that it is just a normal USB port, supplying the same amount of power as any other.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Thanks Bones and all. I think that clears it up. I appreciate all the help.

Well, you learn something every day. I had no idea you could use charging ports like that. Cheers Bones.

AFAIK it only works with USB 3.1 and above and usually only on one port, if it has been enabled. It was something they added to the USB spec 4 or 5 years ago. I think with USB Type C connections it is automatic, though.

Some background info: the USB protocol allows a device to ask for more power than the standard 100mA, and the host will respond with either "please have some more" or "sorry that's all I have". Your port with battery icon is designed for higher power, but will happily deliver less. If there were any issues to be expected, they'd make the plug not fit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#Power

It won't ever hurt. Your 110V or 240V mains power socket is designed to deliver 16A, but connecting something that draws only 1mA is no issue ever.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Outstanding, thanks again all.

i always just assumed the "powered" usb was for breakout hubs, and "non powered" which are powered, were for single uses. maybe i'm wrong, this is a newer phenomena, and i'm getting lost with all the "improvements" and "progress" these days. the controller is probably not a problem, but you may need a grounded usb cord for an audio device to prevent hum.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”