Soothe 2 vs Gullfoss vs DS-EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

highkoo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:52 pm What does a sidechain on Gulfoss even do...?
It makes room on a beat for the vocals for example.
Last edited by adl on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

Markonian wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:16 pm
Imho, no. I tried the demo twice and can't see the point. It gets raved about but I don't know why. They might be very good at publicity.
That's my concern. I bought it "used" but haven't tried it yet.
[/quote]

well maybe you should try it and make up your own mind then?
In my opinion it's worth it, but not if you already have Soothe2 or TEOTE.
(Or if you wanna be flexible with what it does)

Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 pm
Markonian wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:16 pm
Imho, no. I tried the demo twice and can't see the point. It gets raved about but I don't know why. They might be very good at publicity.
That's my concern. I bought it "used" but haven't tried it yet.
well maybe you should try it and make up your own mind then?
In my opinion it's worth it, but not if you already have Soothe2 or TEOTE.
(Or if you wanna be flexible with what it does)
[/quote]

I plan to. I don't own any of the others. I have read very good things about Gullfoss which is why I invested in it. However, I'm new to mixing and mastering which is why I'm soliciting advice from people with more experience.

Markonian wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:50 pm

I plan to. I don't own any of the others. I have read very good things about Gullfoss which is why I invested in it. However, I'm new to mixing and mastering which is why I'm soliciting advice from people with more experience.
Maybe buying plugins from the get-go is not the best way to start mixing/mastering.

I've used gullfoss with great results, but i prefer TEOTE for the duties I delegated to it on master / bus tracks, and prefer Soothe2 for duties of cleaning up stuff.

Smoothing everything out can made things sound very bland.

If you have problems with all your tracks, maybe it would be a good idea to revisit them instead of finding ways to 'fix it in the mix'.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:54 pm
Markonian wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Maybe buying plugins from the get-go is not the best way to start mixing/mastering.

I've used gullfoss with great results, but i prefer TEOTE for the duties I delegated to it on master / bus tracks, and prefer Soothe2 for duties of cleaning up stuff.
Point well taken. I did do it backward.

Aloysius wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:08 pm Smoothing everything out can made things sound very bland.

If you have problems with all your tracks, maybe it would be a good idea to revisit them instead of finding ways to 'fix it in the mix'.
Yep - have to be careful too as even the -4.5db slope of modern radio music can still be too bright. Try "correcting" a quiet piano with this mindset (conforming to pink/brown noise) and you will increase a lot of background hiss. So best to play with the ranges.

That said, this plugin truly is magic in digital form - it's total voodoo and has that exquisite Voxengo quality and transparency to it. Love it. I don't have Gulfoss or DSEQ but I don't know if I need them. Soothe interests me for de-resonating guitars, though.

Forgive me for being a dummy but how do you set it so it only cuts, instead of both cutting and boosting?

EDIT: I'm talking about TEOTE
Last edited by MogwaiBoy on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As far as I remember, TAME is what you're looking for.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 pm

Forgive me for being a dummy but how do you set it so it only cuts, instead of both cutting and boosting?

EDIT: I'm talking about TEOTE
set "Boost T" knob to 0

its not super surgical as soothe, but can get the job done

Ploki wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:29 pm Here's the most popular plugins of this type:
- TEOTE (Great rebalancer, due to being cross-over based it has constant phase distortion so increasing intensity doesn't make transients more smeary - the most predictable, a bit of a learning curve. Shit at notching/surgical stuff. It kinda works, but it's not great at it.)
- Gullfoss (Great rebalancer,"dynamic EQ" based. The more something happens, the more phase is distorted. Extremely easy to use! Better at notching than TEOTE)
- Soothe 2 (Doesn't rebalance, but absolutely stunning at notching. It's hard to make it sound really bad. (Same with phase as for Gullfoss))
- DSEQ3 (kind of rebalances, is great at notching. Can make it sound bad at exstreme. I prefer Soothe2 as i find it faster)
- MSpectralDynamics (it's insanely powerful - the most of all, but it's a pain in the ass to work with)

I personally am opting for:
- TEOTE (For rebalancing, took over Gullfoss' duties) (already have TEOTE)
- Soothe2 (for notching quickly)
- MSpectralDynamics (For going berserk)
Do you think that MSpectralDynamics is the ultimate tool that could replace the others? Or is it better to use a combination like soothe2 and Gullfoss, for example?

Juljan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:59 am
Do you think that MSpectralDynamics is the ultimate tool that could replace the others? Or is it better to use a combination like soothe2 and Gullfoss, for example?
Yeah i think it's the ultimate tool.
However it's so open ended it's not fast to use, you'd have to take time and make macros and whatnot.
MSpectralDynamics can absolutely do what all these spectral tools do (except TEOTE which is not a spectral tool), but it takes much more time and you can make it sound bad in the process.
If you want good and easy soothe2 + gullfoss will get you there much faster in my opinion

I personally would not use Soothe2 on master, but then again I dont usually master anyone else but ours. Dont have the time anymore...
If theres something that makes me reach Soothe2 on master then I'll close master and go back to mix and use it there on the problem channel(s) for taming.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

(please delete / sorry!)
Last edited by MogwaiBoy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

(edit / double post / my internet crashed)
Last edited by MogwaiBoy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

OK so I tried TOETE on single-track resonances and I don't think it's that great at the task. I like it more as a master bus "enhancer / spectral balancer" type thing, and in this case Gulfoss is the closest comparison.

I have some brass and horn layers I'm working on this weekend and I plan to demo and audition DSEQ and Soothe to try de-resonating them - against Smooth Operator (which I own) and manual notch EQ automation (my goto technique but is very time consuming). See which one comes out on top.

I hope it's not Soothe because the price is ridiculous, and I like TBProAudio because they use double-precision true 64-bit internal processing like Voxengo/TDR.

Return to “Effects”