Write song sheets with LCR and LyChoRhyce

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LCR and LyChoRhyce are a new format and a new program for writing song sheets.

So, you sing and play songs. Maybe you use song sheets like the ones on Ultimate Guitar, Chordie and similar sites, and write a few of your own. Maybe you even use ChordPro to get easier and better formatting, and other goodies.

However, something is missing: the rhythm.

You don't want to use lead sheets, sheet music, or anything that has staves in it, but you'd indeed like to be able to write down when those chords should change, and when those syllables should be sung, in a simple and readable way.

Well, it's your lucky day: now you can use the LCR format to write those songs, and then convert them to HTML and PDF using the LyChoRhyce program. (Lyrics, Chords and Rhythm, get it? I also like licorice.)

The LCR format works somewhat like ChordPro but it's simpler, and adds those juicy rhythm features. LyChoRhyce is a free/open, command line program written in, and requiring, the Python programming language.

Here's a more detailed comparison of the most common song notations, and why LCR is special.

I created these two things to scratch an itch of mine, as they say, and then documented and published them. I hope you find them useful, and I welcome your thoughts!
--
Nicola 'teknico' Larosa

Return to “Music Theory”