Any Thoughts On TC MD4 Native?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:tu: Thanks for your input and kind words, Muziksculp! You're a credit to the community

AC222 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:22 pm :tu: Thanks for your input and kind words, Muziksculp! You're a credit to the community
Hi AC222,

Thank You for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Regarding Reverbs, I'm also demoing the TC Electronic VSS3, and like it a lot, it has super smooth tails, and very easy to program to taste. Also great early reflections, and much less CPU usage than the VSS4 HD, which is huge CPU hog at this time, TC Elec. is trying to fix this issue.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Muziksculp wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 am
AC222 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:22 pm :tu: Thanks for your input and kind words, Muziksculp! You're a credit to the community
Hi AC222,

Regarding Reverbs, I'm also demoing the TC Electronic VSS3, and like it a lot, it has super smooth tails, and very easy to program to taste. Also great early reflections, and much less CPU usage than the VSS4 HD, which is huge CPU hog at this time, TC Elec. is trying to fix this issue.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
The true test for reverb is, how does it sound when mixed.
Some reverbs can sound great when hearing them on a track but when mixed, they loose definition.

The VSS3 was known for translating to the mix well.
I would say they same for the VSS4.

SteveWZ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:38 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 am
Hi AC222,

Cheers,
Muziksculp
The true test for reverb is, how does it sound when mixed.
Some reverbs can sound great when hearing them on a track but when mixed, they loose definition.

The VSS3 was known for translating to the mix well.
I would say they same for the VSS4.
Yes, very true. Very good point.

Actually, I decided to look further into the high-CPU usage of TC Electronic VSS4 HD in my DAW/PC.

The Studio One Pro 5.2 Performance meter shows 37% usage for one instance of VSS4 HD, my PC Task Manager's Performance meter shows 5% .

Now that's a huge difference, and something that makes me think that it might be the S1Pro 5.2 Perf. meter that's not providing the accurate reading.

What do you think about this ? Which CPU meter would you trust in this scenario ?

I might just add more instances of VSS4 HD, to see what happens with the two meters, and if I get any dropouts based on the two CPU meters, to find out which one is the correct/accurate one.

Here is a pic of the two meters.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

I like the VSS3, the upgrade to HD version is free for Native owners.

While everyone seems raving about the VSS4 I actually like the sound of the non linear reverb a lot. It has a very good depth perception and it blends in pretty well.

The MHD4 EQ is the best EQ ever this is exactly the kinda of modern sound that I’ve been craving for and might just stop me from buying a hardware unit. I compared it with every EQ plugins in my Arsenal ie. Sonnox,Epure,SlickM,Apogee,Melda,Fab and the one that comes closer and bit better was the combination of Melda Turbo Eq SSL E and Pulteq from Apogee.
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

I recently got the MD4 HD NATIVE and I'm really liking it. I actually think that I can say that I've found my mastering chain now. The EQ is top notch and the limiter is fantastic. I'm not interested in their Reverb. I recently got Denise perfect room, and I'm floored by what I can get out of it.

For Mastering in Wavelab 10 I would look at the DMG Limitless and Eventide bundle by Newfangled which I think is still on sale. I just don't see that combo getting beat.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Waiting on an BF/Xmas sale but I'm wondering if MD4 Native was ever updated from the initial release. These corporate buyouts of music companies are killing development and support.

I also wonder if VSS4 HD has been updated, Last time I checked it was still ver. 1.0 and a big CPU Hog.

OK, just checked, and it's still ver. 1.0 , Bummer, so no buy for me.

Currently 50% off https://store.tcelectronic.com/

Sale runs thru Nov 26-29
Last edited by Tchad Froom on Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tchad Froom wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:34 pm Currently 50% off https://store.tcelectronic.com/

not sure how long the sale lasts
Nice discount, if only they updated VSS4 HD to be more CPU efficient I would be more encouraged to buy it, but it's still at versions 1.0 and If I buy it at 50% off, I don't have any guarantee that they will improve the CPU usage via an update. So far they have not done anything about this issue.

Tough decision.

Muziksculp wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:38 pm
Tchad Froom wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:34 pm Currently 50% off https://store.tcelectronic.com/

not sure how long the sale lasts
Nice discount, if only they updated VSS4 HD to be more CPU efficient I would be more encouraged to buy it, but it's still at versions 1.0 and If I buy it at 50% off, I don't have any guarantee that they will improve the CPU usage via an update. So far they have not done anything about this issue.

Tough decision.
agree 100%. it's the only thing concerning me about purchasing MD4 Native. But at that price I'll take the chance that an update will be forthcoming at some point. These large corporations are so sluggish to move on anything.

MD3 and MD4 are really good. At one point far ahead of anything you could get natively, TC took so long to port them that your money might be more wisely spent elsewhere nowadays (DMG etc.. ) Still like them better than Izotope though! ;)

But I would only buy if you're prepared to accept a plugin in its present state, and that there may never be updates. I've had VSS3 native for a couple of years and it's certainly been that way there (I much prefer the "old" UI to the Star Trek "HD" one btw!).

At least they're going to have to update things IF they want to keep selling on the Mac (due to M1), so maybe things - including VSS4 CPU usage - will see an update then. Otherwise don't count on it.

They do some good bundle deals sometimes, which might be priced low enough to ignore any concerns. EG The Icon Series bundle is $139 atm. Just as long as you know what you're getting into.

Well, I went forward and gambled, I finally purchased VSS4 HD , although it still has the high CPU issue, and it's stuck at ver. 1.0. But the quality of this reverb is amazing, and I couldn't resist not getting it at half the regular price.

I hope TC Elec. can improve the CPU usage in the near future, without compromising the high-quality of this reverb. Maybe as mentioned above, the porting to the Mac M1 processor might give them an incentive to further optimize its algorithms, making it less of a CPU-Hog. We shall see if this happens.

I could always use it with my Audio Stems, instead of with VSTs which would be easier to deal with/manage. during the mixing phase of a production.

Return to “Effects”